Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Classifieds – a problem
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

If you agree to buy something like most of us do from the Classifieds section, pay via paypal and nothing arrives. What should you do? If the seller says he’s posted the items what next? I can’t prove they’ve not arrived just as he can’t prove the proof of postage was for that item, if it exists at all.

oh and before you ask all reply’s have ceased via email from the seller.

Your thoughts?

julianwilson
    Free Member

did you do normal or ‘gift’ paypal? It would seem that paypal realise we are all dodging their fees buying stuff from each other, and will not get involved in disputes in this case, but will on the other hand support the buyer if you did pay ‘normally’.

soobalias
    Free Member

what was the value?
    if its too valuable to lose in the mail, it should be sent recorded

if its worthless, shit happens.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Normal paypal. I have started the dispute thingy, felt it was the only thing to do. In 20 days something else will happen. though it’s shaken my confidence in fellow STW’s Off to a shop of all places now.

BoardinBob

Name and shame so others can avoid

peteimpreza

You need to name and shame so others can avoid this person

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

It’s not worthless, but the it’s inconvienient. besides insurance or recording wasn’t offered. shame as I only send stuff recorded for my own protection.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Erm I don’t think I can prove anything dishonest has happened, just think it might have. And I am out of pocket without any offer to refund or even a partial refund of the items that never arrived, which might be the typical thing to do for something under 20 quid.

peteimpreza

“Erm I don’t think I can prove anything dishonest has happened”

Eh? You have paid for something that has not arrived and the seller is refusing to reply to your emails correct? At best it’s incompetent but much more likely dishonest IMHO.

Name and shame either way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and this is why i always quote for insured delivery in my prices ….. always amaized at the lengths some people go to to save a buck.

spooky_b329

The important fact to remember here is it is the sellers responsibility to chase up missing items in the post. Also it is the sellers responsibility to insure accordingly if they so wish, if you pay extra for insurance, its for peace of mind in a dispute, but ultimately, whether you pay extra or not, its the sellers risk and they are the person who is responsible.

Also, they posted the item and the post office will only deal with them, so don’t let them try and say its up to you to try and claim. They (should) have the proof of postage.

convert

Spooky – I always thought like you – i.e. its the seller’s responsibility. He/she is using the deliverer of their choice almost as a subcontractor to complete the service you have paid them for.

However, that dosn’t really tie well with the ebay experience. When paying for the item, you sometimes have the option of either buying insurance, or sometimes its included and sometimes its not offered. Surely if the first statement is true why would the decision to have insurance for the delivery phase be left to the purchaser as in effect the insurance is protecting the seller?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

most people on here seem to be good reliable…but from what you say it sounds like name and shame time…how long since he was ment to post the item?

crazy-legs

I was talking to a mate the other day who is selling a fair bit of stuff on here at the moment and he said he’d had an email from someone saying
    “I’ve seen xxxx for sale on STW but I’m not yet registered on there, will pay your paypal fees etc, I’d like you to send me the xxxx”

Anyway my mate sent an email back saying that STW works on trust and the buyer needs to trust the seller with the money up front, said if he wasn’t willing to do a bank transfer or collect & pay cash then no deal.

There was no reply. I think unfortunately the scammers are beginning to get wise to STW trust, just be careful who you sell to or buy from – how long have they been registered on here, do they post in the main forum etc.

That doens’t help the OP unfortunately but if the “buyer” has posted in the classifieds then click the report post and get the mods to look at the IP address – it might help if the police get involved.

Lanesra
    Free Member

the forum is open to all. Perhaps admin should close it to registered users only (and only register using a “paid for ISP” i.e not hotmail etc..)

stevieeeh
    Free Member

Agreed with above.

If just the classified section was off view to anyone who hasn’t joined (like in other forums) – scammers wouldn’t know if it existed!

druidh
    Free Member

Is the “sender” still posting on STW or has it all gone quiet on here too?

0091paddy
    Free Member

When I first sold items on here, I took the payments on PayPal gift, yes its not exactly buy the rule book, but PayPal take enough money off me for eBay transactions..anyway I got all the items sent on first class – signed for – recorded delivery, which I believe is the only way items from the classifieds should be sold. Doesn’t cost that much more too.

Ciao

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

druidh; Still posting right up until yesterday. No response to emails hence either I hijack every post they take part in, especially the Classifieds section or as I’ve done launch a dispute with paypal. Appears they’re unaware of the situations importance to the success of the Classifieds section to the rest of us.
    All we have is trust, ok, trust and piles of unwanted bits n’ bobs.

mieszko
    Free Member

When I’ve sold something that is up to the value of £34 I just use standard 1st class postage, as that’s how high it covers You. Anything of higher value goes with a Standard Parcel service (or another one that covers the full value) as it covers You higher.

Fortunately all my sales here went ok, purchases on the other hand left me £115 out of my pocket. User Itchy aka Theshiningwit still didn’t return the bike after a refund. Two months now since he stopped replying to my emails. Got all his details and will make a claim soon.

Also if I buy something more expensive, like my Reba fork I paid the extra £5 of fees just to be covered by PayPal. If it’s a £10 tyre I wouldn’t bother and just use Gift option.

The seller should stop ignoring You and start the claim procedure with Royal Mail. I wonder if he wouldn’t be upset if something like this happened to him.

I think that such treads with feedback after a purchase/sale would be nice as a sticky on top of the classifieds. Some people might sell here just once, but that would also help find scammers who try to flog the same thing with a low price to few people at the same time using different names (Wasn’t IWH and RS Pike something similar?).

Name and shame.

jonb
    Free Member

Err don’t ban hotmail or gmail as quite a lot of us use that and are fine upstanding citizens.

Best bet is to click on the name and see what there posting history is. If they debate enthusiastically the relative benefits of full suss vs rigid singlespeed and have asked what tyres they need for the pub then they are probably genuine. If all they have is a couple of posts selling things then unless you are collecting or the item cheap I would stay away.

Junkyard
    Free Member

think a paid for e-mail or sub to mag should be asked for @ registering to help when these disputes arise. Thankfully they are infrequent but regular. ho
    PS I am sure most the vast majority of /gmail users are genuine but I bet the majority of scammers used one.

STATO
    Free Member

a paid for e-mail or sub to mag

I dont know anyone who actually pays for an e-mail address? we are not all IT geeks on here you know.

And when i bought a sub i never actually got a sub-number/card.

How would this help anyway? STW wont get involved anyway (they arnt going to hand over someones personal details to the forum cos you lost £10 on a tyre!)

Lanesra
    Free Member

Err, you pay for an email address when you sign up to your ISP, failing that you have a work email address. Both of them are traceable.

STW could easily make registrations a proper email address and cull hotmail/yahoo/gmail etc etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Simpler would be a minimum number of posts before using classifieds?

I have bought a few things – the two expensive things I asked around via e mail if anyone knew the chap or checked they had a posting history

geoffj

Simpler would be a minimum number of posts before using classifieds?

There is enough bolleaux spouted on here with out making it a pre-requisite to using the classifieds – although London Fixed Gear and SS Forum uses those criteria.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(and only register using a “paid for ISP” i.e not hotmail etc..)

Oi! ISPs come and go at an alarming rate. I’ve been using Yahoo mail for 9 years now!

atlaz
    Free Member

Err, you pay for an email address when you sign up to your ISP, failing that you have a work email address. Both of them are traceable.

STW could easily make registrations a proper email address and cull hotmail/yahoo/gmail etc etc

Buy a domain for about anything from £1, mailboxes included or a small extra fee. Works fine for scammers (phishing comes from somewhere), more likely to filter out real users.

nbt

Interseting, I’m in a similar situation, I agreed to buy something and sent the money via paypal immediately. That was two weeks ago and I’ve heard nothing since – not evern a reply to the mail I sent asking what was happening. Sometime you have to give people the benefit of the doubt, after all it’s only two weeks and if you;re ill or whatever you are not going to worry about the small things – but on checking, what I saw as a long histiry of forum usage on his profil is actually a long list of him selling stuff.

will see what arrives in tomorrow’s post then take it up again.

sssimon
    Free Member

wouldn’t take sherlock holmes to work out it’s me being talked about here

been working flat out so rarely been on the home computer in the last 10days so only got a chance to reply to mike and his paypal dispute this evening,

posted an ad from the parents house on Friday night when looking after my nephew hece the posts but no mail access (ntl won’t let me log on elsewhere)

the parts he paid me for were returned to sender yesterday, were posted the day after he paid me originally

offered to repost or refund

nothing like a witch hunt for a tenner!

Junkyard
    Free Member

now we know who it is can we burn him? 😈

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have had dealings with sssimon and found him to be a thoroughly decent fella and posted stuff quick
    Give the guy a break you bunch of keyboard warriors 😉

markd
    Free Member

fire up the truck rob we got a lynching to go to!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

:brum brum: she’s running

markd
    Free Member

yee ha, lets go get us a plaything, woooo woooo, yyyyeeeeeeeee haw, :blam blam:

julianwilson
    Free Member

keyboard warriors

😆

That is Keith Emerson under a Hammond M100 btw.

bruneep

now we know who it is can we burn him?

I would say so

<runs off to look for firewood>

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Hell yeah dude lets run the limey out of town!

sssimon
    Free Member

come and have a go if you want, in the mood for giving a few witch hunters a beating

sssimon
    Free Member

and I’m not a **** limey, I’m a grumpy norn irish

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds – a problem’ is closed to new replies.