Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Classic Sailing Boats
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I saw these while bike touring in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. Holy Guacamole, they were beautiful.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mcmoonter/ClassicBoatsDeerHarbourSanJuans2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCNyup-jm19_aBw#

iainc

this got me googling. My folks had this one for 20yrs, sold it about 15 ago though

http://www.ktkweb.org/phpWS/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_printable&PAGE_id=18&lay_quiet=1

carbon337
    Free Member

I had a deck tour of Velsheda a few years back in Craobh haven on west coast of Scotland. Every block was engraved with the K7 sail no.

Wasnt aloud down below though 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got the feeling that to own and maintain one and still be rich, you had to start out very, very, very rich.

Andy

Anyone remember the Americas Cup Jubilee in 2001. Hundreds of classic boats racing in the solent. Awesome!!

Came past the Needles from Poole and bumped into the J’s racing in the Solent (too blowey to go outside). Each one was followed by a life boat as they were always losing crew off the (un guard railed) deck. Stopped for lunch and then sailed through the middle of the start of the Fastnet 😳 …which was nice 😀

porter_jamie

I had a deck tour of Velsheda a few years back in Craobh haven on west coast of Scotland. Every block was engraved with the K7 sail no.

i used to work for the co that made the blocks!

Lionheart
    Free Member

One of our neighbors had this built for his retirement:

http://www.osterlund.co.uk/adele.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Waderider
    Free Member

I was about to post up jclassyachts when I noticed Mr ‘F’arts post above.

I’ll always remember seeing the lines of Velsheda when she visited Bangor Harbour about 1984. Lots of craftsmanship.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Why stop with classic yachts?

Big boats are always impressive, but there are some really nice smaller ones.

Hallberg Rassy’s are pretty damned nice (if a tad expensive)!

iainc

feeling all nostalgic now – childhood summers holidays on the west coast of Scotland on this

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only pic I can find, but I spent many a happy day and night aboard this beauty in my youth;

sambob
    Free Member

J class yachts are incredible. The tallest mast i have ever seen, especially when compared to its hull length. Salcombe yawls are nice, too expensive though 🙁

iainc

that’s not a ‘sailing boat’ !!!!!

carbon337
    Free Member

I had one of these but sold it 11 months ago to Sweeden. Not as pretty in the classic sense but more in a modern/F1/Engineering type perspective.

Melges 24:

Hope the new owners enjoy her as much as we did. Fricking awesome performance – we once had 19kts with just the main up on the way out to a race. Max speed we ever had was 25kts.

sambob
    Free Member

My dad’s mate owns a sweden 42, awesome boat. spent a morning on the irish sea in a force 8, we gave in long long long before the boat would have done 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iainc, I know, but she’s a classic nonetheless!
    sambob, I also spent many a happy hour sailing Yawls! (There is only one type of Yawl, by the way, a Salcombe Yawl!)

Lovely!
    More from those lovely people at Stones!

carbon337
    Free Member

Sweeden Yachts are special. Think I’d take a Rassey next when I get older as the family cruising boat – maybe a 42/44 – manageable when single handing or limited crew for passage making but big enough for a family to spend time on and manage.

iainc

Think I’d take a Rassey next when I get older as the family cruising boat – maybe a 42/44 – manageable when single handing or limited crew for passage making but big enough for a family to spend time on and manage.

when my folks punted their ‘classic yacht’ as pictured earlier, 15 yrs ago and bought a Nicholson 48 centre cockpit thingy we were all very disparaging….now it the perfect ‘grandparent’ boat and the kids love it 😛

tankslapper
    Free Member

Anything by James Wharram?
    Yachts by Abeking and Rammussen
    But the classic of classic that trumps everything here the International Dragon

Spongebob
    Free Member

Gorgeous!!!

sambob
    Free Member

Devon yawls don’t count 🙂 we’re there every year for the regatta, very pretty sight when there are lots of them.

sambob
    Free Member

Carbon377, at least try and get out on a sweden, we did 8kts over ground with a very reefed jib in a 2.5m sea. the owner sailed it back doublehanded, said it was very easy to manage.

carbon337
    Free Member

Dragons are stunning get these lot to quote you on a cold moulded one if your minted:

http://www.petticrows.co.uk/dragons/cold-moulded.shtml

I was in Cowes last June for RTI and we were dry berthed with the dragon fleet – they all paid a full time boat keeper to maintain and polish then launch them in time for the owner nipping dow for the weekends racing. Different world eh

carbon337
    Free Member

sambob – i sailed a Sweeden 41 called “Hotspur of Amble” when I was younger – owner was a gynaecologist but he moved her over to the Baltic when he retired. It was nice but at the time I loved fast fast boats not big slow boats. Im changing as i get older though 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

My uncle also owns a soling 🙂 Bought for £300 from the ICC in Salcombe.

Spongebob
    Free Member

My sister, who doesn’t really like sailing that much just had a free week on this….

sambob
    Free Member

😯

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes Sambob, it’s just wrong isn’t it?

sambob
    Free Member

oh so wrong 🙁 my uncle skippered a clipper 60 around the world and came 2nd 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

She flew out on one of these Boing BBJ’s too….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of Martha we saw moored, all at sea.

http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=1

Spongebob
    Free Member

Me, I’d be delighted with and extrememly fortunate to own one of these….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Pushing the “classic” bit slightly but this is the inlaws motorsailor – 30 tonnes of steel, wood and loveliness:

willjones
    Free Member

Great thread. Spent many a summer racing Caprice, this 6 metre:

Lots of sail, not a lot of boat 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not big but certainly a classic:

Designed in 1949 but now has a very modern rig. Just bought mine 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We had one of these for two years:

But we chopped it in for a little speedboat when we realised how cr4p we are at sailing!

Made quite decent money on it though.

Klunk
    Free Member

no experience necessary

and with rising water levels there are hardly any large cruisers north of potter heigham.

Milkie
    Free Member

This might be pushing the classics too!

Spent most of my youth on one of these, or in the dingy learning rowing techniques!

It was one of the best examples of a Westerly Berwick, which parents then sold, then bought a Moody 35, haven’t stepped on a sailing yacht for 10 years. 😥

I would love to work on a tall ship, now I could even consider that a holiday.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Salcombe Yawls – my other half’s dad has one. Lovely boat. After having been brought up on arse-in-the-water efforts like Toppers and Lasers, I found it a bit staid. The I realised quite how bleeding quick we were going. Still not as instant as the little boats, but I’ve a LOT more respect for it now.

His family have/had a cottage down in Bantham and used to own a Bantham one design too. The yawl was built by the harbour master there when he worked for Stones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Classic Sailing Boats’ is closed to new replies.