Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • classic kona riders…
  • oxym0r0n

What length forks are you running.

The wife has a 16″ 96ish cindercone that I am about to put some fox f100s on for the weekend. I need to do a lower leg service anyway so do I stick with 100mm or reduce them to 80mm? (I have the travel spacer too BTW)

Thanks

john_l
    Free Member

I’d reduce to 80mm on that size/age & keep it nice & fast handling.

Others will say not.

oxym0r0n

Thanks – any other thoughts before I tear them apart in a couple of hours?

TedC

Dropping them down will be best – general consensus on retrobike is that if you “increase” the travel, you ought to shorten the stem. 80mm should allow for original stem to stay put.

haggis1978

100mm is fine. Kona never changed the geometry on their XC hardtails from 1994 till the early 2000s’ they only shortened stems and added rider bars. I run 100mm forks on my ’95 Kilauea no problem.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

100mm on a 98 Lavadome (18″)

I’d probably go 80mm on a small frame for reasons given by others.

warpcow
    Free Member

I used a 100mm Judy DH on mine bitd. I still use the same frame today, but rigid now.

jamj1974

My ’95 handled more slowly with 100mm Dukes on it – so I say it depends on whether you want the handling to stay the same. Personally I prefer it as it was originally specced – i.e for c60mm travel forks.

haggis1978

Jamj1974, what length stem were you running? That’s the main difference between fast and slow handling if you have a 100mm fork on an older frame. If your trying to run it with a 100-120mm stem then it will feel slow. I had 100mm fox forks on mine, riser bars and a 90mm stem on a 19″ frame and it was superb

jamj1974

130mm as standard with p2’s or 63mm. 100mm with 100mm Dukes.

jamj1974

19″ like yours.

jamj1974

Don’t get me wrong it was still ace – just different!

oxym0r0n

She has 100mm stem with 680 risers – I have a 90mm 25.4 Thomson stem that could in on but needs a new faceplate…

plus-one

80mm would be best.. But yes you could run 100mm

Alpha1653

97 Cindercone running Fox Floats reduced to 100mm or Exotic carbon forks, mimicking a 100mm fork. That’s with a 90mm stem on too. (image has a 110mm stem on it which was far to long).

Why not fit it with the 100mm fork and see how it rides and if it’s too lazy then drop to 80mm?

Mine still handles blisteringly quickly and is great fun to ride – rode the Welsh C2C on it last year. Tith a 90mm stem on too. (image has a 110mm stem on it which was far to long).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘classic kona riders…’ is closed to new replies.