Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Classic High Peak 100k for my club
  • oldgit
    Free Member

A good tough 100km route, ideally starting from Edale (parking)
    Suitable for all club members
    To include at least one classic climb, a top notch bun stop and views.

Not a training run, just a change from the green Chiltern hills.

None of us down here run compacts….is that a factor?

monksie
    Free Member

Edale Rd / Mam Nick. Down Winnats. Straight on to Bamford, Yorkshire Bridge, right on A57 at the bottom of Snake Pass toward
    Sheffield. Turn left for Strines. Out of Strines and left toward Woodhead, right for Holme Moss. Up and down Holme Moss and back onto Woodhead. lanes to Glossop. Up Chunal. Through Hayfield to Chapel en le Frith. Up Rushup Edge and back down to Edale.
    Not having a compact will be a problem if they can’t pedal what they have ( daft question gets a daft answer )
    Probably not 100k Nice cafe in Hayfield. It’s the Peak District. Views are compulsory.
    Just had a thought. Go right In Hayfield and on to the a6 at New Mils. Left to Whalley Bridge. straight on for Long Hill and Buxton and then back to Chapel or go right in the centre of Whalley Bridge and go over Taxal Edge in to Goyt Valley. Straight on to Macclesfield and then back to Buxton over Cat & Fiddle. Then back to Chapel etc.
    Apologies for rubbish typing. I’m on a very bumpy train and typing on my phone.
    When is this ride and can I come? I quite fancy that myself and I’m just down the road in Stockport. We could detour to the cycling cafe in Romiley.
    Actually. I’ve had a think. Sod that! Have you seen that route? Nutters!

BadlyWiredDog

When are you coming up, Carl? You’ll be fine with standard doubles. You’re proper cyclists after all. Fancy a guide for the day. I’m sure Chris could be persuaded out if you’re prepared to wait for us – I can do you a nice loop out over Strines, back via Holme Moss, back roads from there through to New Mills, round the pleasantness that is Tideswell via Rushup then back over the top to Castleton and Hope. I’m sure there’s a pleasant caff in Holmfirth. There was last time I stopped there…

crikey
    Free Member

The trouble with starting from Edale is that you end up riding on relatively busy roads, albeit through scenic countryside. If you can get a bit further North you can ride quieter roads with more options to make it interesting.

You could zig-zag back and forth over the Pennines from Ashton-u-Lyne/Mossley to Holmfirth then Marsden to Delph to Denshaw then over to Sowerby and so on.

If you can start further north shout and I’ll plan you a route.

crazy-legs

Edale – Hope – Bamford – over Snake Pass to Glossop – collect BWD – loop round over the back roads to the cycling cafe at Romiley.

Romiley – Poynton – over the Brickworks – Rainow – Cat & Fiddle – round the back of Buxton then Millers Dale – Tideswell – Bradwell – Hope – Edale.

I’d be up for guiding duties as well if you want.
    Normal gears will be fine. Unless you follow Monksie’s route of Death by Climbing! 😉

To be fair, there are better places to start than Edale. It’s a pain to drive to and it’s expensive to park there. Better of parking in Hayfield or Chapel-en-le-Frith.

tlr

http://app.strava.com/activities/51003637

This might keep them quiet for a bit.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thinking of May 19th.
    I just know edale, and thought we could grab lunch before returning at the pub by the campsite.

DavidB
    Free Member

LOOK AT Tejvan Pettinger’s KOM on Winnats. Insane.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m around then if you fancy hooking up. There are plenty of other potential starting points, the car park in Edale’ll set you back around a fiver if that’s a consideration, Hope is an option too. Ditto Castleton. I’m sure Chris’ll be up for a ride if he’s around. I’ll probably be half dead from the Whitton the weekend before. Anyway, just give us a shout, it’d be good to catch up properly.

Sandwich

I’ll probably be half dead from the Whitton the weekend before.

This screams “beware” to me. A danger of leg removal by a local. 😀

BadlyWiredDog

This screams “beware” to me. A danger of leg removal by a local.

If only that were actually true 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheers BWD, just seeing who want’s to travel up. The route will have to be dependent on who shows.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Classic High Peak 100k for my club’ is closed to new replies.