Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • Clarkson/Top Gear guilty of offence racial term say OFCOM – [slope reference]
  • tazzymtb

Ofcom have also recently ruled against a bbc nature documentary following complaints for the use of the word “beaver” for a dam building water mamal with teeth like janet street porter as it is pejorative

Lifer
    Free Member

Link?

tazzymtb

Apparently all damn building, buck toothed creatures must now be referred to as “vagina squirrels”

Lifer
    Free Member

Dam you!

atlaz
    Free Member

First time I saw that part of Top Gear it seemed like they were trying to make a “funny” joke about the fact the bridge was wonky and there was an Asian guy on it. It’s about what you’d expect from Top Gear but that doesn’t, somehow, make it not a racial slur. If they’ve bothered to write a joke about it, chances are they knew it was a word that was dodgy to use.

Personally I thought we were past the point where racial epithets passed as humour on mainstream TV programs and past the point where we needed to discuss if it had a place on TV.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Personally I thought we were past the point where racial epithets passed as humour on mainstream TV programs and past the point where we needed to discuss if it had a place on TV.

“We” are indeed past that point, thank goodness. The noise you can hear is “them” kicking up a fuss about being left behind.

emsz
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarkson is an ahole. My ex’s dad really liked his shows, and washed* an Aston Martin and played golf and he was a massive ahole as well

* he never drove the **** thing he just washed it/**** onto it. I was once shouted at because I sat on the seats in jeans that had pocket studs on them, that’s the sort of ahole Clarkson is, they call Asian people Slopes because they’re aholes not because its funny, but because they’re idiots that should know better.

Edit Ooops thought they would star out 😳

oomidamon

Given the timing of this, would it be cynical of me to wonder if they have a new series starting soon?

Solo
    Free Member

Dam you!
    😆

Anyway, Bad people do bad things, because they can and don’t care what others say about their actions or the names they are called for those actions.
    Shit happens ! Find something else to distract you.

anagallis_arvensis

Struggling to see how those who are dfending Top Gear are doing. The whole point is the joke only works if you now that slope can be used as a negative racial slur so any bollocks about beaver is irrelevant.
    The fact that the joke wasnt funny isnt much of a defence either. If it was an error then fair enough but it clearly wasnt.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I saw the programme and it was a ‘did that really just happen?’ moment. Glad they got brought to book over it but it’ll make knacker all difference as long as the beeb are getting the cash for rights. He’d have to go the full Ron Atkinson before the suits grew a pair and got rid of him.

prawny

I have nothing to add on top gear, but I’m still giggling like a loon (can I say that?) at Vagina Squirrels

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Tazzy – still waiting on that link btw…

I was completely unaware of the term “slope” regarding Asian people, but having watched to programme go out it was used with such intent, i.e. it was obvious there was a subtext to it, I was not surprised at what has happened. I would add that the opinion of some people I know who have been in Clarksons’ company is that he is a tit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

^ + 1

I hope that distribution rights to Asia are now withheld given the unsuitability of the content.

lilchris
    Free Member

I was once shouted at because I sat on the seats in jeans that had pocket studs on them

Seriously?
    So you see the care he lavishes on his pride and joy, then jump in it without thinking.

I’d be pretty pissed if someone/anyone marked the inside or outside of my car with metal studs, be they on clothes or not, and I don’t even own an Aston. Am I an arse hole?

Junkyard
    Free Member

she said she sat on the seat not that she marked them , not that she was not invited to and not that she “jumped”

TBH i would be pissed off to have seats so fragile jeans damaged them and also at being so fragile I got annoyed about it and/or failed to warn and/or notice when someone got in my pride and joy with clothes so harsh they could hurt it.

I would also want to get a life and some perspective if I am being honest.

Drac

I hope that distribution rights to Asia are now withheld given the unsuitability of the content.

Which part of Asia is that then?

Russia, Cyprus, Turkey or one of the many other parts?

tazzymtb

Nice to see that with the ethnic cleansing in palastine..the affronted of stw can still get all get up about something as trivial as a racist word uttered by a prick. Perhaps if folks spent more time putting pressure on their mp and government we could actually help stop a genocide rather than distract ourselves with such banality

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice to see you have the time to belittle folk you disagree with comment on this thread and not on the threads on that issue.

tazzymtb

I agree with the comments of racism n top gear junky im not exactly a white english bloke. Lets just all focus on some proper issues..and eith regards to Palestine thread on here I could have spent my time arguing with apologists for the genocide or helping with more direct action to try to alleviate the situation like we all can.

I’ll leave you with the moral ground though chap ad you always think im scum anyway

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice to see that with the ethnic cleansing in palastine..the affronted of stw can still get all get up about something as trivial as a racist word uttered by a prick.

So a prick saying a racist word on TV is a “trivial” matter ?!

Britain’s foremost national broadcaster should simply shrug their shoulders and dismiss it as “trivial” when one of their presenters makes a racist comment on TV ? LOL 😀

And btw shocking as it might seem it is possible to strongly oppose Israel’s brutal treatment of Palestinians AND also feel that pricks shouldn’t utter racists words on TV. You don’t have to choose one or the other.

Drac

Nice to see that with the ethnic cleansing in palastine..the affronted of stw can still get all get up about something as trivial as a racist word uttered by a prick. Perhaps if folks spent more time putting pressure on their mp and government we could actually help stop a genocide rather than distract ourselves with such banality

There’s been at least 2 on that issue, one got closed as people couldn’t play nicely and the other spawned from a random thread. The world keeps spinning not matter what else happens and the forum keeps having discussions about other items than what’s happening in Gazza.

Jamie
    Free Member

one got closed as people couldn’t play nicely

Oh the irony…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

One side got caught cheating ?

tazzymtb

*holds hands up* fair point..probably a bit too close to the subject as there are people I care about in gaza at present. Anyway as you were back to a **** on telly x

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Which part of Asia is that then?

Shall we say all of it? Better safe than sorry. And if we all contact ofcom we can double the complaints. Auntie might do something then.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The difference between Clarkson and Gaza is that in the case of Clarkson the BBC should have exercised some discretion and editorial control.

I’m not asking them to give me an unbiased and up to date view of how racist Clarkson is

Drac

Shall we say all of it? Better safe than sorry. And if we all contact ofcom we can double the complaints. Auntie might do something then.

2 of us contact them will double it.

Speeder

As someone said further up,I remember the scene and thinking there must have been something I wasn’t getting as they were emphasizing it so but I really didn’t understand the reference and didn’t look any further into it at the time. I’m not sure it’s funny now I know. It’s a bit of a 70s joke really.

I was going to try and write something long and profound asking why it seems it’s only seen as a problem when it’s a word used by a white person against someone of another colour/nationality/class but then I thought I’d see if there was a Wiki entry for this **** and turns out there is

HERE is a list of racial slurs by ethnicity and it turns out there’s almost as many aimed at Caucasians as for any other denomination.

I understand that it’s not healthy to disseminate this stuff as it hardens the differences between us but why does it always have to be seen in this way? I’m not going to get offended of someone refers to me as a Tommy, Pom, Gringo, Peckerwood, Cracker, Honky or Roundeye as I realize it’s a adjective that sums things up about me from their point of view without knowing anything else about me. Ok it may not be flattering but I certainly wouldn’t want someone to get offended on my behalf.

Maybe it’s easy to say that being a member of the majority in this country and not at any risk of being on the receiving end but I’d hope to be as even handed if the situation were reversed.

We’re just animals at the end of the day and animals tend to live in packs and tend to distrust creatures that are not the same so it’s a natural instinct to be “racist” in the purest sense. Since the advent of mass transport, we’ve become integrated in one way or another and that wasn’t always the most peaceful of events.

Why can’t we all just get along?*

I think we should ban the ist words as they’re just making an issue of generalizations. Any of the following can be used as an insult.

men
    women
    young people
    kids
    pensioners
    bald
    short
    fat
    skinny

all can be covered by some kind of ist and I’m sure we’re all guilty of a derogatory broad generalization from time to time. Mostly when driving.

I’m sure that doesn’t make any sense and some could accuse me of being racist but I’m not or at least I try hard to suppress my natural instinct to think those who are different to me are errr different. I try to take everyone as they come.

G

*because that’s just not human nature

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not going to get offended of someone refers to me as a Tommy, Pom, Gringo, Peckerwood, Cracker, Honky or Roundeye as I realize it’s a adjective that sums things up about me from their point of view without knowing anything else about me. Ok it may not be flattering but I certainly wouldn’t want someone to get offended on my behalf.

That’s probably because none of those words have ever been used to insult you, and which presumably was why you needed to look them up in Wikipedia.

At least experience a lifetime of insults, hatred, and prejudices, before telling us how totally unbothered you are by insulting terminology on the telly.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

2 of us contact them will double it.

*whoosh*

Speeder

Ernie – Exactly. I have no idea what it’s like. I can’t put myself in their shoes, I can’t even imagine it and I’m not saying it’s right or defending those that abuse others in this way. All I’m saying is that it’s a natural reaction from a human being and I hope that one day we’ll get to a point where it’s no longer the natural reaction.

I thought THIS was an interesting take on it when I saw it the other day from Robert Llewellyn (Crighton from Red Dwarf and the least funny stand up I’ve ever seen) But then he’s also a white middle class male so isn’t entitled to a point of view.

I guess we need the over-reactions from the professionally offended to make up for the what is all the fuss about? it’s just words like me. Hopefully at some point we’ll reach equilibrium.

azku
    Free Member

I think Ernie is in the “professionally offended” category.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My missus gets pretty tired of all the Filipino housemaid/whore jokes on TV when she’s a professional who earns more than me and who’s family are far far richer than my own.

Spent some time in the Philippines, never once had the piss taken because I’m white.

If I’m not mistaken, lot’s of people did get upset about Gaza. But some of them blurred the line between anti-zionism and all out hatred of Israelis that leads to nothing but more bloodshed, or between anti-Hamas and anti-Palestinian attitudes.

Kind of a shame as that’s exactly whats causing the current mess, which is why I assume Jamie finds it ironic. It was an utter microcosm of the current conflict.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All I’m saying is that it’s a natural reaction from a human being

You say that like it’s some kind of fact…is it? I’d contend that it’s not natural at all. The type of behaviour you’re describing is more than likely learned/taught, not something “natural”.

But then he’s also a white middle class male so isn’t entitled to a point of view.

I reckon the majority of posters on this very thread are white middle class males…I didn’t realise they weren’t entitled to a point of view. Has anybody told them?

over-reactions from the professionally offended

Jesus wept.

While greatly exaggerated in quantity and quality, by many who are proud to let a bit of casual bigotry slide (fans of JC, one might say), I’d prefer a few more of these kind of people to those who are guilty of under-reactions to apologists for racism and bigotry.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Also you don’t need to be offended to know that something is offensive. Like racism, for instance.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also you don’t need to be offended to know that something is offensive. Like racism, for instance.

Telling the professionally unoffended this little simple fact never seems to sink in. They’re never keen on facts.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

azku – Member

I think Ernie is in the “professionally offended” category.
    Posted 45 minutes ago

Really ? Do you know why you think that ?

Or was it just something to say because you wanted to say something and couldn’t think of anything else to say ?

I’m not sure that I’ve ever been offended by anything in my life, apart from maybe when someone has turned down my offer to buy them a drink, or something along those lines. Which I guess goes some way in explaining why I’ve never reported a post on here.

I’m not offended by your comment btw, just a little puzzled.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

But some of them blurred the line between anti-zionism and all out hatred of Israelis that leads to nothing but more bloodshed….

I can’t recall anyone expressing “all out hatred of Israelis”. I think you’ve made that up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Telling the professionally unoffended this little simple fact never seems to sink in. They’re never keen on facts

what do you expect of the professionally thick skinned*[**]?

it’s only seen as a problem when it’s a word used by a white person against someone of another colour/nationality/class

This gets trotted out all the time and is utter bobins
    racism is rtacism is racism If you show me a black prsenter on a BBC flagship programme [ Likely eh ] using a pejorative racial slur i will be complaining
    Skin colour does not make one racist nor make one incapable of being racist. What makes people think this could be true?

@ Tazzy

I’ll leave you with the moral ground though chap ad you always think im scum anyway

What in earth makes you think that?
    If i have done anything to make you think this then I apologise

* when you are left drawing a piss poor caricature of the opposing view like professionally offended it is generally because you cannot raise a rational counter point so you name call…imagine defending racism by name calling those who object

[**] please dont it is obviously ironic to prove a point

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Clarkson/Top Gear guilty of offence racial term say OFCOM – [slope reference]’ is closed to new replies.