Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Clarkes brakes
  • astura
    Free Member

Im after some brakes for my hardtail on one parkwood, i currently have avids on and they are utter poop! I need to get some new brakes but budget isnt the best really, spent a fair bit of money doing house up so not much left to spend..which leads me to clarkes brakes, are they any good or am i just going from the frying pan into the fire?

transporter13
    Free Member

Utter shite… Buy deore

astura
    Free Member

Lol, straight to the point

jamj1974

I’d say Deore as well.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My wifes bike has Clarkes Exo brakes they are OK but I’d still buy Deore given the option.

astura
    Free Member

When u say deore, is there only one model?

transporter13
    Free Member

M615 are what you want… Cheapest, good brakes

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s Deore, not Dior! Pretty sure there’s only one current model – no luxury 😛

Though you may wish to check rotor size – I think avid used to use an xx5mm rotor when everyone else used xx0mm so you maybe need to buy new rotors or adapters at least.

mm93
    Free Member

I’m also on the lookout for cheap brakes,ive read the shimano m445 are supposed to be alright,deore 615 seem to be about £100 now,445 much cheaper,anyone tried both?

mboy
    Free Member

Email in profile for anyone after some cheap discs right now. Got some M445’s and some Deore’s going spare that I can do for a very good price.

mm93
    Free Member

Email sent.

seadog99
    Free Member

M675 SLX are currently just over £90 a pair on CRC with their Clear2016 code

buckster
    Free Member

Ive got 2 sets of Clarks brakes on 2 bikes and they are working exceptionally well, great value for money is my experience. One DH bike (used in Alps on long descents) and one all rounder

faustus

The shimano alivio/acera hydro brakes are actually pretty damn good too, if you can find a set. I got a complete front brake for £17.50 when Merlin had them. Not one finger, fairly chunky but solid and reliable.

If not Deore get the M506 which is exactly the same but not badged as deore, and is usually cheaper.

pembo6
    Free Member

I’ve got some clarks exo skeletal brakes. Utter garbage. I thought they were good until I bought a second hand set of deore. Then I realised the difference. The clarks are finished off very poorly. And don’t brake as well as my avids or deore.

mrbotticelli

Recently replaced a set of leaking Shimano m445’s with some Clark’s Skeletals from CRC, they were about £62 for a complete set of levers, callipers and discs and they came with IS mounts and two sets of sintered pads.

Seem to be working OK, had a bit of messy around as I went for the biggest available discs and then needed a post mount (wasn’t clear that they would be IS mounts) and they provide a 185mm disc for the rear not 180mm meaning I needed a couple of washes to get everything fitted.

Nice and powerful, don’t squeal like the Shimano had for the past 12 months due to the leak. Happy with them so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Clarkes brakes’ is closed to new replies.