• This topic has 127 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Clare Balding – You have ONE job to do…
  • 13thfloormonk

… which is surely to at least make a passable attempt at pronouncing the surnames of foreign sportspeople (Fognini is NOT pronounced FOG-nee-nee Clare…) you know, since you’re paid £500,000 a year to commentate on international sporting events… 🙄

iainc

she asked Chris Hoy last night what ‘rollers’ were….. Hope it was for benefit of the viewers…

marcus7
    Free Member

Should be sacked for that IMO….

surfer
    Free Member

Sick of the sight of her.

alpin
    Free Member

Clare Balding….Media whore.

She’s bloody everywhere. But why? She rode horses. That’s it.

I really fail to see the appeal of having her everywhere.

Would rather the BBC saved 500k and had a few younger, more knowledgeable sports professionals presenting their sports.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Too much exposure. she was great at London 2012, but slightly tiresome now.

The Beeb salaries are a good reflection of how badly managed Auntie is!

At least the Becky and Mark show is entertaining and informative.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

had a few younger, more knowledgeable sports professionals presenting their sports

What like this annoying one, who is all legs and no substance…or knickers apparently…

jimjam
    Free Member

Clare Balding – You have ONE job to do…

Nah

She’s bloody everywhere. But why? She rode horses. That’s it.

She is bloody everywhere. She’s got a million jobs to do. I don’t mind her. I think you’re all being homophobic. 😐

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you’re all being homophobic.

Seriously ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

she asked Chris Hoy last night what ‘rollers’ were

Rollers?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Be fair – “rollers’ was obviously a plant to get Hoy to explain to Joe Public

jimjam
    Free Member

FunkyDunc

I think you’re all being homophobic.

Seriously ? [/quote]

No not really.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc. That was a really unhelpful picture to post! 🙂

[Yep, I really am that shallow]

eddie11
    Free Member

She used to cover rugby league. That was a nadir. It was like one of the partridge’s absurd made up programmes. Mark chapman is much better.

doris5000

i think there’s a BBC policy of not giving a flying one about how Foreignists names are actually supposed to sound. I haven’t watched much of the Olympics but what I have seen has been terrible for that!

DezB
    Free Member

Sir Clive and Eddie Butler pronouncing all the rugby players’ names differently was quite amusing. Luckily I like Sir clive otherwise it would’ve been most annoying!

or knickers apparently.
    Sun or Mirror?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sun or Mirror?

Sun, Mirror, Daily Mail, plus more I assume.

Don’t your read the quality news 🙄

avdave2

i think there’s a BBC policy of not giving a flying one about how Foreignists names are actually supposed to sound

I think you’ll find it’s the bloody foreigners who don’t know how to pronounce their own names, ignorant bunch of ne’er do wells.

avdave2

or knickers apparently.
    Sun or Mirror?

I’d say it would be easiest to tell by using a mirror but it would help if the sun were out.

beej

She’s the new Frank Bough.

beej

Hopefully without all the scandal.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Never mind foreign names, I’ll be happy when everybody south of the wall can say Forfar properly. It’s not Forfaaar, FFS.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I was getting a bit annoyed with Chris Hoy last night to be fair. Oh you used to do a bit of cycling did you? You never mentioned it.

DezB
    Free Member

say Forfar properly. It’s not Forfaaar, FFS.

the only time I’ve ever heard the name is Saturday afternoons in the 70s:
    “East Fife 5, Forfar 4” 🙂

slowoldman

Does no-one remember Phil Ligget’s risible attempts at foreign names? Just how many ways can you pronounce Jan Bakelants or Bauke Mollema?

Claire Balding is more frontman (frontwoman?) than commentator – a job I think she does pretty well.

stuey
    Free Member

+1 slowoldman

nickc

another vote for Clare, I think she’s pretty good.

donks
    Free Member

Whilst I’m by no means a fan of Balding I guess if she can pull off presenting with a bit of charisma then the Beeb are probably justified in their choice. I know lots can do the job but I’m pretty certain it’s not as easy as we like to think. Just look up the horror that was Otis Deeley or what ever his name is commentating on some athletics championship a few years back….. It was car crash TV. I seem to recall him just dying on his arse in front of millions of viewers and channel 4 had to bin him pretty quick. Compared to that Clair Balding is a pro.

pondo

I think she’s sound.

Harry_the_Spider

I think she’s funny.

She’s good with Michael Johnson and Colin Jackson when the athletics starts. I assume/hope that they are doing the coverage this year.

johndoh
    Free Member

Last night on Wiggins when he was sat before his heat with headphones on ‘he’ll be listening to rock music’.

No he bloody won’t! Anyone who knows anything about him would know he is a diehard Mod and loves The Jam. I have absolutely no idea what music other cyclists like but he rattles on about The Jam / Paul Weller incessantly!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 how she got the main job is beyond me.

ps. wasn’t the score East Fife 4, Forfar 5 ?

DezB
    Free Member

‘he’ll be listening to rock music’.

No he bloody won’t!

I suspect, to people “like her”* The Jam is (er, are)(no, were!) rock music. Not far off really, like.

*presuming a classical bent (no pun intended) 😀

DezB
    Free Member

ps. wasn’t the score East Fife 4, Forfar 5 ?

That was the cup game 😆

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

She’s bloody useless. I get that she (they) plant leading questions so that supposedly interesting things get explained to “Joe Public” but she goes about it in completely the wrong way and come across like a patronising auntie that is just feigning interest. “Yes, Dear. You ride a push bike. Oh, that’s nice, Dear”.

Last night to Hoy, “The bikes have no brakes!! How do they stop themselves running in to each other?”

The interview with the Athertons a few months ago was on a similar level. No interest in the genuine dedication, skill, commitment to the sport just things like, “ooo, you’re brother’s really fit with his kit off!” or “those rocks look big and you’re going really fast, do you ever get scared?”

Absolute waste of space. Go do one, horse face woman.

scotroutes

It must be really tough to come up with enough chatter to fill the endless hours of TV coverage. I guess folk interested in other sports will have the same issues about stupid comments too. Mind you, I was speaking to someone last night about cricket coverage and he was telling me that the chat was very much NOT about the actual cricket 🙂

cheese@4p

I was just saying last night what a brilliant presenter Clare Balding is. She shouldn’t be expected to have expert knowledge especially at the Olympics.
    I like her anyway.

PrinceJohn

So how should one pronounce fognini if not fog nee nee?

johndoh
    Free Member

So how should one pronounce fognini if not fog nee nee?

At a guess I’d say Foh-nee-nee

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I don’t expect her to have expert knowledge in every obscure sport the Olympics throws up, just some more intelligent questions and sincere delivery. It’s the way she goes about her interviews that rattles me; insincere over reactions to what are pretty basic levels of subject knowledge.

” You’re a civil engineer? So you know how to make bridges? And I bet you’re really clever and do lots of maths. That’s amaaaaazing!!!! What’s the hardest maths sum you’ve ever done?”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Clare Balding – You have ONE job to do…’ is closed to new replies.