Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Clapham Junction: What trails by train?
  • northshorefiend

Just moved to London (West Hampstead) and I have been doing this North Downs trail.

Any suggestions of other good trails accessible by train from London?

I can get to Paddington, Euston quite easily too, not just Clapham Junction.

crazy-legs

Clapham Junction out to Martin’s Heron.
    Then it’s a couple of miles ride to Swinley Forest.

You can get out to Dorking and Box Hill from there too, that should give you loads of ride options.

penac

Clapham to Martins Heron for Swinley, good for a quick blast, Paddington or Marlybone for Wycombe and Princes Risborough which gives access to the Chilterns, from Euston you can get into the peaks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hilldodger
    Free Member

Brighton or Winchester for South Downs.
    Hindhead for Devil’s Punchbowl.
    Some trails around Alton, but never tried them.
    Ash Vale for Tunnel Hill.
    Isle of Wight via Portsmouth, can buy ticket which includes ferry and saves a few quid over 2 separate fares.
    If you’re going to use the trains regularly get a Network railcard, £30 for a year gives you 30% discount on off-peak travel.

Some more ideas here
    http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycle-trails.htm
    Quite a few have a station close to the route

njee20
    Free Member

Haslemere for Devils Punchbowl, Hindhead doesn’t have a station.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Oh yes, I always call it Hindhead then wonder why no one can find it 😳

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Surrey Hills/North downs has the best singletrack, its definitely worth hooking up with a local group to find it all, even if you have to get up super early to do so.

There’s clusters of singletrack in woods along the South Downs too, e.g. Stanmer Park, Friston Forest, Queen Elizabeth Country Park

Lots in Chilterns
    http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/trailguides.htm

I’m not sure how accessible it is from where you are, but I sometimes cycled up the Lee Valley Way to Epping Forest when i was in East london.

timnwild

Shoreham by Sea is an hour. Then a 10 min ride would get you in the South Downs an in and around Steyning, Worthing etc. Lots of good riding. But I live there, so I would say that. Tried the Devil’s Punchbowl the other day and it was fun too – and you can see Canary Wharf from the top, so that’s definitely close.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just taken my Trigger 29 on the train to Bournemouth with CrossCountry. It doesn’t fit into their bike spaces…
    Bournemouth is great though. Anyways on to Weymouth.

jameso

1hr north on Southern Trains to Tring or Berkhamsted and you’re in the Chilterns. Ashridge, Wendover, Aston Hill etc.
    Or a few stops on to Leighton Buzzard and not far (via off-road trails) to Woburn.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry. Should have said down to the New Forest and Purbecks.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Do not bother to catch the train to Polegate outside Eastbourne and then ride to Friston Forest as there is absolutely NO singletrack in the forest at all along with NO spectacular downland riding towards Firle and Lewes.

corroded
    Free Member

Petersfield for some good mapped trails in the surrounding hills and also QECP. Actually, looking at the list above, it’s surprising how much riding is just an hour’s train ride from Clapham Junction!

jpacey
    Free Member

Paddington to Newport (cwm carn) or port Talbot (afan)get an early train and persuade a taxi to take you and the bikes up to the trails for an awesome day out

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try and hook up with either the Muddy Moles or the Diary of a Mountain Biker for riding around the North Downs and Surrey Hills.

There is also a London Calling Yahoo group of riders that travel out of london to ride.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Clapham Junction: What trails by train?’ is closed to new replies.