Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Clamping brake piston to fix stickyness
  • jsinglet

Does anyone use a clamp to hold back the good piston when fixing a sticky piston? And if you do where did you get it from?

Thanks,

John

z1ppy

I used a couple of zipties and an old pad to do this the other day on a hope m4 but have used a steel ruler and some spacers (to stop the free piston coming out) previously.

Bloody things still sticking though.. rebuild time
    (< blatant cheekiness >: have a wtd ad for Hope bore cap tools)

Junkyard
    Free Member

usually i use an old brake pad and a screwdriver to hold the good one in place

You can use long nose pliers to do the same but it will mark the piston if not silver

Zip tie idea above is a good one tbh
    Z1ppy which one? I have the one for the old mono mini is it that one?

kayak23

z1ppy – Member
    (< blatant cheekiness >: have a wtd ad for Hope bore cap tools)

I may still have mine knocking about, I’ll have a look later. You could have them for a lil’ suttin….. 🙂

z1ppy

Cheers JY, I was offered a mono mini one the other day, but according to CRC and others its another two… which is a tad (read very) annoying

kayak, if you could take look I’d appreciate it.

rocketman
    Free Member

I generally push both pistons back as far as they will go, put the pads in and put the caliper back on the bike so that it is aligned with the rotor, irrespective of the pad position.

The brake feels like crap afterwards while the non-sticky piston pushes the rotor against the sticky piston but after a while (e.g. a couple of trail centre rides) they even out.

tracknicko
    Free Member

good old hopes eh?

z1ppy

I have had them 5 or more years TN, this is the first issue

So yes, good old hopes, with a bit of TLC they’ll be back in perfect order…

kayak23

Hi z1ppy , I do have the bore cap tools, both in perfect condition. ..

Northwind

Stick an allan key into the slot that the rotor passes through- as big as you can. Then, wedge the non-sticky pad back with something (old pad usually works).

garage-dweller

Very long flat blade screwdriver for me levered against something then pump away . Cured a sticky front this week by pumping both sides out. Saturating with silicon spray lube and repeating a few times then bleeding it. Think this was suggested on an earlier thread or link and as i understand it silicon lube is dot fluid and seal safe.

z1ppy

ahem, not paging really.. but Kayak drop me a drop me an email please… (as there ain’t on in your profile)

jsinglet

Fixed my brake using a combination of silicon spray lube and some locking pliers, these ones:

http://t.co/rPZAbBjr

I found the screwdriver approach didn’t lock the piston down enough, so not enough force went into the stuck piston. A rag around the pliers protected the piston and calliper body.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Clamping brake piston to fix stickyness’ is closed to new replies.