Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Claiming back tax from the last financial year
  • pinches
    Free Member

Slightly random to ask on here, but hopefully someone can help.

Due to being a student until July last year and then being unemployed until February i haven't earned over the threshold of £6,475, and as a result i'd like to claim my tax back.

Now, the HMCR website just says "contact your local tax office" and then gives me this link Click me

when i put my paye reference in it comes up with "east lothian tax office for individuals"

now, i work in central london, surely this is incorrect? or is it something to do with where my employer is registered?

Cheers

Chris

Macavity
    Free Member

You have obviously already looked at this:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm

its a case of you phone whatever tax office they direct you to , that tax office will say it is not a local tax office issue and will give you another national phone number and they will tell you it is nothing to do with them it is you local…… and so it goes on. Best of luck.

crispybacon
    Free Member

HMRC have moved PAYE work all over the country, basically to where they have the staff to cope with the work. Anyway having your affairs being dealt with by HMRC in Scotland is not unusual.

You will need to send your details to them with confirmation of tax paid / overpaid i.e. form P60 & also request your repayment. This is a busy time of year for HMRC so it may sometime before you get your refund tho.

pinches
    Free Member

Cheers, thanks, it just seemed a bit odd to be a scottish office, just wanted to check it was correct before sending anything off for it to be potentially wrong.

I have been told by my parents accountant to send them a photocopy of my P60 and a letter stating i haven't earned over the threshold and request the tax back.

Cheers!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Phone up the tax office + theywill tell you what to do and where to send it. When I had to do it tjey were dead helpful.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Don't be in a rush for the rebate – I have been waiting from Jan 10 for a rebate for the year 08-09. After countless calls, letters and apologies from them that a new computer system has meant things are running to a 8 week leadtime I am assured it will be sorted by the end of June. I won't hold my breath

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Claiming back tax from the last financial year’ is closed to new replies.