• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • CK hubs don't like Ti skewers? why?
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

Thought I would treat myself to a rear Titanium skewer only to find out that Chris King don’t reccomend Ti only steel?

Anyone had the experience & what was the difference if any

druidh
    Free Member

Ti is too stretchy to make a reliable skewer.

cheburashka
    Free Member

It’s not just CK, most hub mfrs recommend only using steel qr skewers.

d45yth
    Free Member

Quite a few manufacturers don’t recommend Ti, whether they think it’s flexy or can snap, I don’t know.
    I’d recommend the Fun Bolts anyway, although my new frame has a 12mm axle.

sweaman2
    Free Member

As above – not just CK.

There are only 2 QR’s I would consider using… Shimano XT or Salsa

Tony.w
    Free Member

Bummer – I will see if I can swap to a SS version. Maybe should have had fun bolts but it means a new axle so maybe next year. Ta

br
    Free Member

Been using Ti skewers for years now, both Far East specials and Specialized ones – never a problem.

Macavity
    Free Member

Galvanic corrosion.

njee20
    Free Member

Tune, Bontrager and Mt Zoom ones are good, KCNC, Roval and Parts of Passion ones scare me!

br
    Free Member

oh, but never in the front – Maxle.

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Ti QRs here for the past 4 years, Tune Ti QRs for 4 years before that.

GB

mst
    Free Member

I’ve had a Hope Ti skewer in my CK rear hub for about 7 or 8 years, and it’s fine.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I used to have a pair of Middleburn Ti skewers & the rear snapped for no reason. Really wanted a replacement but couldn’t bring myself to pay almost £50 at the time for one skewer!

grtdkad

Mavic Ti and A2Z Ti skewers here and no problems here, many years of use.

…may double check them before the next rides now though. Thanks!

Tony.w
    Free Member

yeh thionking its a case of regular checks, clean & lube. I suppose if it breaks well thats just bad luck.
    Thanks for your comments guys

njee20
    Free Member

Pretty unlucky to actually break one. Must say its never crossed my mind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got KCNC on the road bike and the Swift. Ti won’t clamp as tightly as steel as it stretches which allows the dropouts to move out of alignment where a steel one would clamp everything together tightly and stop it flexing. Fine (IMO/IME) on rigid forks and hardtails, I’d not use them anywhere near a suspension fork though.

P20

I’ve got Salsa ti in atleast one if two of my kings for the last 11yrs. They’ve been fine including one snapped axle. I’ve had a planetx ti in another king for over a year. Again fine

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘CK hubs don't like Ti skewers? why?’ is closed to new replies.