Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CK Headset Servicing – how often?
  • simon1975

Looking at the Chris King website, it looks really easy to clean and regrease the bearings without having to remove the cups from the bike. Mine's been on the bike for a rather wet 7 months, and is just starting to sound a little grindy.

How often do you regrease yours?

nickc

Ummmm, never touched it. In about 4 years…

jimmy

I haven't touched mine in about 5 years but it was stiff and grindy the other day for the first time (left upside down in the cold for a month after a wet ride didn't help things I guess).

crazy-legs

About once every 3-4 years…
    Both of mine are still going strong, one is 8 years old and has been on 2 bikes.

doug_basqueMTB.com

It's dead easy so you can do it as often as you want. Mine's not needed touching for a year but it's drier out here. If it's feeling grindy then just open it up and clean it.

I opened mine for the first time since January and the grease was still pristine white!

simon1975

I'll have a fettle today and see if it looks clean inside. It did get submerged a couple of weeks ago on Pook's Peaks ride…

snowpaul
    Free Member

dead easy to do – pop ciclip and neoprene seal up – degrease fully and lube up = forget for a LONG time…

I do mine once a year or so or when it sounds dirty which is very rare only needed to really clean it out once after a long wet winter in the peak – and that was like 3 years ago…

paul

myheadsashed

i have five CKs headsets never touched any of them

myheadsashed

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i wipe and re-load with grease whenever i drop forks out of the bike. got my first about 5 years ago it think…

skaifan
    Free Member

Whenever i move it to a new frame. Approximately every 3.5 years. Not that it ever seems to need it.

gamo
    Free Member

What grease do you all use/recommend?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

One thing that is worth doing is changing the rubber O-ring every year or so, I think they're only a quid.

69er
    Free Member

I've got one that's been on 5 bikes in about 10 years. Only greased it once.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Looking at the Chris King website, it looks really easy to clean and regrease the bearings without having to remove the cups from the bike. Mine's been on the bike for a rather wet 7 months, and is just starting to sound a little grindy.

How often do you regrease yours?

Thats like saying ive got dog poo on my shoe, should i clean it off…..

Sounds a little grindy……… come on man use a little brain power!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CK Headset Servicing – how often?’ is closed to new replies.