Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • civictrack world
  • teethgrinder

So. Getting some money from the mortgage people to purchase a new(er) car and make the grown up leap away from bangernomics.

Top of the list is the civic, but is there anything else i should consider. Looking at £6k tops.

ps. No people carriers. I’m growing up, not losing the will to live.

Bucko
    seavers
    Free Member

I am also looking at a 6k car. Focus keeps on popping up (urgh) but I quite like the look of a Citroen C3, small but funky interior. Kind of shouts ‘grandad’ in a way unfortunately.

Also Seat Ibiza…maybe a Kia Ceed or a Hyundai? Depends on how old or how many miles you are prepared to accept. Depends on what you are after but I would happily go a bit older to get something with low miles and a higher spec.

For reference I have a 2005 Astra 2l turbo sport back thingy. Its nice but costly to run and I never use the power it has.

teethgrinder

Could get the wife in, but the Boy and the No-tail might have to be left at Home à la Maddie.

legend
    Free Member

You’ll get a good condition Type-R for under £6k

teethgrinder

No PSA cars or Focii 1.6 diesels. Not heard good things about them.

For reference, coming from an Alfa 156 2.4 jtd, so needs the same poke.

88 mile odd commute, so CTR out.

Bucko

I love a good car threat but you really need to help paint a picture. 1.1 petrol supermini? 3.0 V6 estate? Petrol? Diesel? Bothered by age?

warton
    Free Member

civics are good cars IMO. we have an 08. but, things to watch for:

the clutches are rubbish. they are made of cheese. ours is the 2.2 turbo diesel and it eats them. had the first replaced two years ago under warranty, and we need another. so thats it’s third clutch. 53k miles.

they eat front tyres, check them.

lots of rattles on the dash.

ride on ours is very hard, god knows what it’s like on a type R, back breaking I’d imagine

but, space is very good indeed, it really is like a tardis.

2.2 TD is rapid if you poke it with a stick, but still gives you 50mpg

apart from the clutch ours has been faultless…

teethgrinder

57 plate on diesel. 5 doors, possibly an estate.

Think I’m pretty much decided on the Civic. Was looking at the 2.2 Auris SR diesel but inside it’s dull.

Never fond of Vauxhall, though the Insignia looks OK. Mondeo can be had cheap and they are cavernous.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Clutches do have to work hard anyway, but there is a known issue where the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal is set too far out from the factory, effectively “riding” the clutch all the time. Once this is sorted, clutch lifespan becomes comparable with any other 2L+ turbo diesel.

warton
    Free Member

thats very interesting plums, we had it fixed last time, but the known issue then was the dodgy plate surface. I might chase this up, may be able to get it done for free if it’s a known issue, cheers

warton
    Free Member

double post

scotroutes

I had one of the first new shape Civics – an 06 I think. 2.2TD was a great engine, tons of space. Harsh ride though and the most unreliable car I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had a Citroen a Peugeot, couple of Fiats and a clutch of Renaults)

dab

As per warton

I’ve got an 80k 2.2 Diesel ES
    We’re still on the original clutch and I wouldn’t say
    That I drive like an OAP

Space is fantastic & seats very flexible
    We have a towbar and its got oodles of torque
    So tows with ease, bit low slung so watch dirt roads
    Especially if you have the mud guards ( we removed )

Glass pano roof has a weight limit so beware
    Ride can be choppy but the overall package makes up for that

Yeah, most powerful diesels are hard on front tyres
    Consider winter tyres as they aren’t great in winter without them

I’ve had mine on a 57 plate since 6k
    Been pretty much faultless bar the aircon needing a re charge
    And tyres / brake pads

Ved is 120 per year so pretty good too

Bought & service from local family owned Honda dealer ( except tyres )

I drive the new civic in December
    Better suspension but the engine didn’t have the same Ooof that ours does

Was looking at the new 2.2SR CRV that’s nice

Next car will either be the upcoming civic wagon
    A CRV or a t5 kombi , Honda’s are decent cars if they’ve
    Been looked after

dab

Also stick with 16 inch alloys
    The 17’s although looking nice make the ride awful

Cheaper rubber too
    Bridgestones 205 55 r16 £ 90 an end
    Winters 65-100 an end

Hth

turbo1397
    Free Member

had this dilemma a few months back.. i was looking at the civic 2.2 diesel, audi a3 1.9 tdi, seat ibiza 1.9 fr diesel.. and also threw a saab 9.3 tid airflow 120 into the mix. I’m still looking. not going to go with the civic as everyone i know has had to replace clutch’s in them and there not cheap. seat just seems a bit plasticky but great apart from that. ive boiled it down to either the saab or audi.. leening more towards the saab as you get more bang for your buck and ive had one before and it was faultless..only £15 pa more in the tax bracket as the civic also. looking at this..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303165805203/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/4000/price-to/6000/model/9-3/make/saab/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/pa33qw/page/1/saved-search-id/2c9219273d8c73c9013d8e9b0d530005/keywords/airflow_120/radius/1501?logcode=p

Bucko

Volvo V50

boblo
    Free Member

warton – Member
    the clutches are rubbish. they are made of cheese. ours is the 2.2 turbo diesel and it eats them. had the first replaced two years ago under warranty, and we need another. so thats it’s third clutch. 53k miles.

We went for the 1.8 petrol Civic after hearing this and coming from a 2.0 Focus TDCI that wanted its third clutch in 60k. Does low 40’s mpg but is a bit gutless unless you thrash it. The VTEC badge is pure marketing as in this case, it means more economical rather than more power.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘civictrack world’ is closed to new replies.