Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Civic type r. Anyone have one?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Thinking of investing later this year in something sportier than my mk4 gttdi golf. I drive 2hours max a few times in the summer to ride and 1hr max most weekends the rest of the time.

I’m going from a 2.0 diesel which has great economy to something that does 20% minimum mpg less. Has anyone else upgraded performance and been gutted with expensive fuel bills or am I being a bit over shrude?

My thought…car is cheaper than a similar vw,Audi that has more economy. Fuel is cheaper by pence. So in theory this should balance out right?!?.

I drive 10 miles a day, why am I even worried about mpg.

timc
    Free Member

My 60 year old auntie has one …

Get a nice R32 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Used to have one. Ep3 with a couple of mods, itg filter and spoon mid pope. 200 at wheels on rr. Lovely car, every min from nurburg to m27. Fuel about 30mpg if driving conservatively. Its all very well thinkibg of total cost, but it hurts more each time you go to pump to fill. Bear that in mind

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fizzicist
    Free Member

Borrowed one for a week in Australia.

Nothing short of totally, utterly hilarious. Really nice easy drive and then a psychopath get unleashed when you clog it. I’d love one.

radoggair
    Free Member

new version or old

Had both

Old – great fun, revtastic, felt quick, room for bikes, sh*t in the wet or under heavy braking, easy to get sideways, rubbish interior/equipment, 30mpg, cheap to buy nowadays so £/performance well worth it.Honda reliability very good

new – doesn’t feel as quick but actually is, better equipment levels/comfort. Sameish MPG, loadsa room for bikes, better in wet and under braking, not as much fun at 8/9/10 10ths, better looking, same reliability but…………………..

depending on your budget there’s better out there

see………….. R32 – newish version
    megane sport, bmw 330/335d, audi s4, impreza/evo /m3

Performance wise for 10k alot out there

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Mate has one & does similar miles to you, loves it but finds it thirsty he recons high 20’s on average but he does rag it a fair bit. I really like them compared to VAG alternatives. There will be plenty of rubbish about ‘steering feel’ online esp at low speeds but I didn’t find that when test driving one.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I had an EP3 (54 plate) also. At the time, when I was 21 it was cracking…now you’d have to pay me to drive one. Now they are affordable far too many chavs have them, drive them like tits and make all CTR owners look bad.

It was a brilliant drive and railed corners. Mine also had a couple bits done ‘underneath’ just to improve the drive such as some Spoon springs, camber adjustments added (-1.5* camber all round!) and a Apexi stainless induction kit.

All in all it was a good car. It sounded like a superbike on the V-tec (but not at all round town) handled superbly and most of all was fun.
    The cons- virtually no torque so you thrash it even when driving ‘normally’ , it’s pretty poor on fuel given its ‘only’ a 2ltr with 6-speed box, 30mpg if you are lucky. Also poor equipment levels compared to others. After this I bought a BMW 330d m-sport touring (estate)..not only would it destroy the CTR on pace, but also so much nicer to drive both fast and normally. It returned never less than 44mpg and that was often loaded with bikes in the car and on the toe bar rack.

For me, it’s big old (well modern) TDI engines all the way. They pull through the rev range nowadays and you can’t beat the torque!

Good luck choosing something mate

paulwatts
    Free Member

Had a later version of the old model
    Brilliant, great fun! Drove it hard, cos you have to rev it to get the intended performance.
    Got me hooked on the kick of driving. … looked for a faster/better car…
    Only logical successor was an Exige S. !!

(Unfortunately, the older style is getting a tad boy racer now)
    PS l got about 23mpg btw.

DavidB
    Free Member

Test drove, could not see out the back at all..gave up

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

I used to have one, fast but tediously dull!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

New one is nice inside, but doesn’t have the VTEC magic.
    Older EP3 shape was a bit better, more of a kick from VTEC.

I had a Integra Type R, that was amazing! Probably not what you are after though.

Coming from a diesel you would have to change how you drive completely. Lots of gear changes, frantic revs, lack of torque low down. It might be worth looking at a Megane R26 F1. Excellent car to drive, but a little boring on the inside.

olddog

I had old one. Quick, but not hugely fun, engine only got going when really gunned. Previously I’d had the original Renault Clio Cup, the race first race homologation version, now that was a fun car, fast, light, agile bits fell off it on a regular basis.

I got about 30mpg out of both,

I have a soft spot for proper old scool (petrol) turbo charged engines, that little lag before the kick in the pants and buckets of scary torque steer.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I took one for a test drive (about an hour/hour and a half).

Great gearbox, engine and seats.

But it’s all a bit harsh. Engine doesn’t wake up ’til about 7k rpm, and the ride is hard. It gave me a headache. Below VTEC kick-in, you could be in a 1-litre Civic really.

I’d much prefer a Golf GTI as an everyday car. Just as much fun I’d say and feels special all the time, whereas the Civic felt like a pretty ordinary car when it was off the boil, complete with its scratchy plastics and gimmicky dashboard.

If I wanted a toy, I’d go for a Clio Cup. Which I also test drive and loved but Mrs Knob didn’t.

DrP

Used to have the ‘bread van’ EP3, with ITG filter (for a period of time – took it out after a while).

Absolutely lovely car to drive – yes, it’s down on torque at low revs, but in all honesty you could still happily drive around town leaving it in 3rd gear all day and it would still pull fine.
    Lovely change in characteristic when you ignore the gear lever for a bit and just floor the pedal…screaming up to 8k revs was a joy!!

However, max I got was about 280 miles per tank of fuel.
    I get about 400 from a similar sized tank in an Octavia, which can’t be ignored. (you can ignore the pithy performance of the Skoda, though!)

Good sized boot with rear seats flat (go very flat).

All in all, a fantastic, tight car. Fuel economy is to be ‘expected’, but can be driven sensibly if need be.

Might get one again in a few years time…

DrP

julians
    Free Member

we’ve got one (the newer model, I think its Fn2), well its the wifes car actually.

great car – bullet proof reliability – cheap running costs (but thats relative – I expect you could view them as high running costs if you’re coming from a diesel)

Awesome fun to drive, massive boot, very practical. Feels slower than it actually is ( the opposite of modern diesels that feel faster than they are)

Not for everyone though, If you’re a fan of diesel like torque then its not for you, if you like a truly great petrol engine, hooked up to a decent chasis then it could be the car for you. There are a few others that fit into this category though, see any of the following:-

-clio cup/trophy
    -e46 M3 – massive running costs though, but also massive speed, different league to civic type R.
    -Honda s2000 – awesome, RWD + LSD = fun, but only 2 seats

crush83
    Free Member

forget the civic, get an integra Type-R (DC2 not DC5)

fast, good hard vtec kick ( and tyre chirp 2nd to 3rd if your pushing it) corners better than ANY other honda (except maybe the nsx)and you can fit 3 bikes and riding kit in it with the seats down!

EDIT- also rear seats usable for adults!

momo

My dad had one for a while, and while it was quick, I never found it as nice to drive as the Integra type R we had before it. I’ve got a Clio 172 cup at the moment and I think it is a much better drivers car, but unfortunately it suffers from French build quality.

johnellison
    Free Member

Look up Clarkson’s roadtest on YouTube. Then think again.

DrP

Look up Clarkson’s roadtest on YouTube. Then think again.

That’s for the FN2 – the new design. It has torsion bar suspension at the rear, not independent wishbones like the older model.
    Plus….it’s Clarkson.. 😕

DrP

danjthomas
    Free Member

Clarksons top gear review was a bit of a mind changer. Considering he is a major douchebag!!

My brother had one and the little time I spent in it I loved it. I keep changing my mind between a mk5 golf gt tsi 1.4 (170bhp). Not quite the performance of a CTR but an good compromise with economy. Plus you can remap them to 205 bhp which coupled with some new filters etc will give the type r a run for its money.

bryan-g-

I have an FN2 and no complaints more than fast enough, plenty room. It does like to eat tyres and is keen on oil.

MrFannay
    Free Member

Had a 59plate TypeR from new and never reset the mpg(B) trip computer and I’ve averaged 33.2mpg from new over 32k, never uses any oil, front tyres lasted 25k, rears are still original with 4mm left on.
    Insurance is £350pa and drives/sounds fantastic….never even had a bulb go so pretty chuffed with it.

BUT, the best part? is the size of the boot. I get 4 bikes (2 road, 2 FS) and all the kit/tools/beer etc in the back of it which I couldn’t do in my 03′ Golf estate.

rootes1

Now they are affordable far too many chavs have them, drive them like tits and make all CTR owners look bad.

haha! too right I bought an EP3 of a friends huband he had it since new, I had it for a year and sold it last week – got my money back on it too.

put it on autotrader and by next morning had 21 missed calls and many answerphone message such as:

“Yo your civic is the engine ‘strong’ yer get me?”

“How is the gears”

“It has xenons, right”

anyhow it sold after a day and apart from the concern of the 85mph stint in a 30mph zone it was sold.. it is probably in a Maccy D carpark as we speak..

shame it did not have an LSD like the jap version.. but yes a little chavy.. but quick, simple and lots of room inside – ride was a little crashy mpg was not too bad really but newer golfs etc are just more refined..

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve got a mugen m20, fn2 derivative.
    Yes it’s chavtastic, but its fun, as an LSD, it’s rare and I get 28.5mpg overall.
    It’s boot as shown above is massive, runs winter wheels and tyres from November and outperforms most 4×4 up to glenshee and the lecht, and the Honda integrated roof rails are silent.
    Local honda dealer has looked after me for the last 5 years as though I was their only customer…. First class.
    Mine doesn’t use oil, tyre wear is excellent and reliability on this one (its my second) is second to none.
    I am a golf gti fan, but my 5 years with fn2s has been fantastic…
    My only issue is the hard suspension which is well damped but over sprung. If I keep it I will go for he new bilstein coil over kit which has been especially developed for the fn2.
    However, I am tempted by the new s3, so it may be sold in the spring, but it may not, dependant on the s3 price and my test drive.
    Overall, brilliant car, even the steering on mine is lithe considering its fwd….recommended if you can live with the rock hard ride without modifications…..

IMAG0036 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr

ken_shields
    Free Member

crush83 – Member

forget the civic, get an integra Type-R (DC2 not DC5)

I’ve gone from a 320D Touring to a DC2 and I love it. The noise when the VTEC kicks in all the way to 9000rpm is mental. Makes the Beemer feel like a big squashy barge.

And being a hatchback you can get a couple of bikes in there no probs 😆

the_lecht_rocks

That dc2 is beautiful ken. I always regret never getting one during my vw phase… The greatest fwd?
    Has that the LSD and brembos ?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Your Civic looks cracking too

A LSD is fitted as standard. It has a big list of mods but only has brembo discs and standard calipers with EBC red stuff pads.

The 16″ Rota wheels have loads of clearance so planning to get some proper 320mm brakes fitted in the spring

A phrase involving poo and blankets springs to mind when talking about the handling

My Mrs hates it with a passion 😯

hora
    Free Member

Said this before- get a decent FI car instead. After all you wont be YO’ing for 90% of your time.

breadcrumb

I prefer an involving high revving N/A car to a lazy turbo car IMO.

I have a 05 CTR, lowest mileage I’ve had is 28mpg, the highest on a long run 38mpg.

I only do about 6-7k miles a year and don’t find it too bad to run. I’ve had the geo done and that has helped with under steer and lift off over steer.

Not a lot of gadgets in the 2001/06 model if that’s your thing. IMO it’s not a car for gadgets, Honda diluted the Type R badge a bit with the FN2.

Great car, just ignore the “Chav” element.

globalti
    Free Member

I hate to pour cold water on this discussion but speaking as the father of a 13 y.o. boy…. my neighbour’s son killed his best mate and seriously injured himself and three other mates when he rolled the family R type at Mellor, just up the road. He was thought to be doing about 90 when it took off, bounced three times off the walls then somersaulted into the field where his mate was found dead, wrapped up in the windscreen and the other four were compacted into the back of the car with major fractures – pelvis, femur etc.

Great cars but they tend to end up in the hands of less experienced and circumspect drivers.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/2245088.print/

hora
    Free Member

How can you avoid the chav element though. Just like older Imprezas attract East17 band lookalikes.

[Img]amplicate.com/media/topics/ec/e17.jpg[/img]

globalti
    Free Member

These boys weren’t chavs, they came from professional families.

chiefgrooveguru

I prefer an involving high revving N/A car to a lazy turbo car IMO.

Ditto! I love how it demands you put more effort in because I feel you get more satisfaction back – the joys of getting it right with with a manual box, and clutch pedal, no ESP or traction control, and an engine that requires you change gear a lot to get the best out of it.

ken_shields
    Free Member

globalti – Member

I hate to pour cold water on this discussion but speaking as the father of a 13 y.o. boy…. my neighbour’s son killed his best mate and seriously injured himself and three other mates when he rolled the family type R (insert car of choice) at Mellor

This is a tragedy of the highest level but it could have been any car in the hands of an inexperienced driver so the fact it was a Type R is inconsequential and I’m not sure why you felt the need to qualify your story with the “father of” statement as it has no relevance to the story.

julians
    Free Member

globalti – you cant blame the car for that though, it sounds like the driver would have done that regardless of what car he had.

tindal11
    Free Member

I have 07 plate type r. Great car, winter tyres on and been up the glens in the snow no problem, average 29mpg but great car too drive. Two bikes and a weeks worth of clothes/equipment in boot with the seats down no problem. Thinking about upgrading to a Mokka though, with the built in bike rack!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Upgrade from a Type R to a mokka..? hardly and upgrade…

Any way I have owned 3 in total. 2 ep3’s and a FN2 which was not the same beasty.

A few choice mods as mentioned before and they are bloody ace, ran them for over 10 years.

breadcrumb

hora – Member
    How can you avoid the chav element though. Just like older Imprezas attract East17 band lookalikes.

I said ignore. I very much doubt I get confused for a Chav.

And East17? Surely you mean N-Dubz?! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Showing my age….

tindal11
    Free Member

Ha, had it for 4 years now, tax, running costs poor mpg, are starting to outweigh the fun drive. Maybe upgrade is the wrong word 😀 a more sensible option is what I am looking for now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Civic type r. Anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.