Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • City commuting on your bike, your opinion and view of rinding in city and urban
  • alexmatthams
    Free Member

As part of a design project that I’am undergoing looking at Brompton and other folding bikes and the pro and cons that could be associated with them, I’am also looking at urban commuting and the types of journey that is covered ( terrain wise ) and i was just wondering if i could get people views, opinions and experiences riding in cities and urban area’s ( this could be to work or general leisure rides ) and the reasons why you choose a bike and how you feel about city commuting/riding e.g. dangers and vulnerability of you and the bike.

Thanks. (I come from a strong mountain biking background so i have never ridden in urban and city area’s thats why i’m getting other people opinions until i try it out first hand)

Also if you could help with my Brompton feed to, if you have anything interesting to add that would be appreciated. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bromptonother-folding-bikes-thoughts-and-experiences-with-them

jameso

A big topic.. maybe a few specific questions would help you get better info?
    I hinted at my main issue with small-wheel folders in the other thread, that they can be a bit twitchy feeling and the small wheels don’t cope with city streets as well as a bigger wheel. But that’s a fair compromise, no real problem once you’re used to them and they are transport rather than performance bikes. Fatter tyres and rims wold help. Or the suspension of a Birdy. But overall, not going at top pace around town isn’t a bad idea, drivers usually see a bike and think ’10mph’ and manouver around you based on that.. if you’re doing 20mph+ it can be interesting..
    But with train companies limiting rush-hour travel with bikes to small-wheel folders, that’s the way most will stay in the UK if they’re bought for train+road commuter use.

I wonder if Moultons could be made to fold rather than just seperate, without compromising the ride. That could be a great city bike.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘City commuting on your bike, your opinion and view of rinding in city and urban’ is closed to new replies.