Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • City breaks – where's good to go?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nicest thing about going to other European cities (apart from any in Oireland): sitting outside/inside cafe bars drinking small beers that stay cold and still feeling like a man. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Def you’d like Lisbon.

Super Bock or Sagres by the small flute, out in the street, under the shade of palm trees.

And a great night life.

I think my favourite Euro Capital Cities have all been covered but prob go something like:

Lisbon
    Stockholm
    Berlin
    London (if you know it well and can avoid the rip offs and tourist traps)
    Cagliari (Sardinia. Very like Lisbon really)

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

Oslo’s a lovely place, and easily the friendliest i’ve been to.

I managed to get split off from friends, couldn’t remember their address and spent ten hours wandering the streets on a friday night. Mooching around, the locals were chatty (and spoke great english, making me ever so ashamed of having no norwegian) and ever so helpful trying to give me directions – even the security guard who threw me out of the train station i tried to sleep in was immensely courteous about it. By all accounts i was in one of the ghettos when i finally got back in touch with friends – it was nicer than home!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

We do a lot of cruises for our holidays and have done many around Europe so get to see a snapshot of a lot of cities.
    My favourite was undoubtably Italy and Croatia. It was my wife that fancied Italy and tbh I had no interest whatsoever in going. LOVED IT! Florence and Rome are utterly stunning with so much to see it can be overwhelming at times. It was however the one place I had biggest preconceptions about that won me over. Venice! We’re booked to go back. We had 1 1/2 days there and I was just blown away. I had it in my mind it was going to be all romantic and generally annoying 😀 but I have to admit it is up there as one of the best places I’ve ever been to. I could just have spent the whole day going up and down the Grand Canal on the Vaporetto (water bus.)
    There is undoubtably the romantic side to the city but there is so much more besides. I think it would make an ideal destination for an anniversary trip.

I’d have to agree with Hora on Barcelona, we were so disappointed with it.
    Dubrovnik is also worth a look. Don’t know what the flight times are like but it was a beautiful place with lots of history.
    I was at a retirement smoker in Tallinn last month and it is indeed a beautiful city. A nice place for a break but I wouldn’t rush back.

DrJ

Can’t believe no-ones mentioned Copenhagen. Spectacular architecture, fantastic beer, good museums, beautiful harbour, full of drop-dead-gorgeous girls. What’s not to like?

iDave
    Free Member

Copenhagen

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where iDave goes, I follow…

So it looks like Copenhagen for me too 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Prague, Krakow are great but for something a bit different try Budapest – we loved it!

Or…Krakow for a couple of days then overnight sleeper train to Budapest.

Outside suggestion: St Petersburg. Pro: not overrun with stags, more historic stuff than you can shake a shitty stick at, relatively easy to get around the bits you’ll need to get around with public transport, white nights if you go at right time of year! Con: not very set up for foreign tourists, not very cheap, visa requires a little planning (www.visahouse.ru for invitation).

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘City breaks – where's good to go?’ is closed to new replies.