• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • City break: Copenhagen or Rekjavik?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Which one would you do? How many days would be a sweet spot for a couple? I know that endless gadding about can be a bit tiring on city breaks.

I visited Copenhagen on a school trip, but it’s a distant memory, I remember liking it though. What should we see/do in either city?

damo2576
    Free Member

Copenhagen if you’re a foodie.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rekjavik if you intend to drive to the country side a bit.

Copenhagen … the city is busier and got plenty bicycle lanes …

I prefer the latter by hiring a bike and cycle around the city like the Dans.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Wrong time of year for Iceland (presuming you want to go in the next month or so). Number one attraction there is the Northern lights and they are best seen Nov-Feb (ie when its dark !!)

StirlingCrispin

Rekjavik – If you can get out of the city on a tourist trip or two to go to the Blue Lagoon and do some sightseeing at the geysers, mud pools etc.

Copenhagen is fun to wander around (I’ve been a couple of times on business) but other than hiring a bike to go look at the mermaid, I couldn’t find much to do.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yeah Rekjavik not really a “city” break… you can do the “city” of Rekj in a afternoon… the highstreet in your local provincial town is quite possibly bigger.

GEDA
    Free Member

Copenhagen is fun for the following reasons:

Tivoli
    Carlsberg Glyptotech. (Fee on Sundays)
    Cool Eskimo stuff and old stuff in the National Museum (Free)
    Boat trip (Just take the normal water buses)
    Alternative Christiana.
    Zoo is meant to be fun.
    Round Tower

Sure there is lots more.

nedrapier

I’d hardly say the northern lights are the no. 1 attraction to Reykjavik. Might just be me. I’d rather go in the summer and see more of the place in the (considerable) daylight.

I’d say Reykjavik if you can extend the weekend to 4 days and want to hire a car and see some incredible landscapes. it’s a fun place on a Saturday night though. It’s a late night place, though, so don’t go to back the hotel before 10:30/11 because you think it’s dead!

Copenhagen if you want enough city to keep you entertained for more than an afternoon.

martinhutch

Make sure the Mermaid is actually there before you hire a bike. When we went, she’d been sent ‘on tour’ (?).

Top city though. Nice boat trips, art galleries, shopping, funfair at Tivoli Gardens, beautiful streets with restaurants, bars, cafes etc, botanic gardens, opera house. You can get to the brill Viking museum on public transport. Certainly enough for a couple of days.

Skandic Hotels are ace, too, and relatively cheap.

DrJ

What martinhutch said. I will also add – great places to drink beer, sit around drinking coffee and watching the world go by, and lovely beaches accessible by public transport. I’ve been here nearly 3 years and there’s always something new to do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘City break: Copenhagen or Rekjavik?’ is closed to new replies.