Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cities of London & Westminster – different?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I.E. Are they under different governance? Is Boris in charge of the City of Westminster?

tomhoward

Yes.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Which??

brakes
    Free Member

City of London is distinct from the boroughs of London, of which Westminster is one.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The current Lord Mayor of London is a woman.

molgrips
    Free Member

London boroughs are basically like town councils. I think you pay your council tax to then and they collect your bins. Boris is mayor of greater London isn’t he?

marthall
    Free Member
    globalti
    Free Member

When you enter the City of London you see the two dragons facing you, each side of the road:

muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK, so Boris is Mayor of Greater London, the City of London has a seperate Lord Mayor – does the City of Westminster have a mayor?

CountZero

Domine dirige nos. And watch out for the dragons after dark.

jambourgie
    Free Member

This might help…

shermer75
    Free Member

That map if London is one of the funniest (and most accurate) things I’ve seen in ages.
    Ps it looks like I’m a hipster ****

nedrapier

marthall, thanks for that! worked there for 7 years, but some bits new to me.

brooess
    Free Member

City of London has a separate Police force.

Museum of London is well worth a visit. The City was the first part of London to be settled – well before Government and Monarchy turned up. Which shows you why the City can seem like it thinks it’s above the law – it kind of is as it got there first…

Also worth reading up on The Liberty of Norton Folgate

I never get people who say they don’t like London, it’s got the most fascinating history and you walk through it every day…

jambourgie
    Free Member

I never get people who say they don’t like London, it’s got the most fascinating history and you walk through it every day…

Totally agree. I love London. Can’t afford to live there at the mo, but try to visit as much as possible, always energizes and inspires me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cities of London & Westminster – different?’ is closed to new replies.