Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Cigarettes
  • iolo
    Free Member

I was in the queue in Spar and the guy in front bought 20 Marlboro. £9.20. For 20.
    No wonder smuggled and fake cigarettes are selling so well.
    I’m glad I quit 15 years ago, mainly due to cost.

allthepies
    Free Member

46p / cancer stick.

Bargin!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Going rate at school was 20p a fag, wonder what they charge in the school yard now? £4 swished or paypal gift

butcher

I had to go out and get some for my sister on Christmas day. Genuinely thought I’d been short-changed when I got 40p back from a tenner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My first ever packet of fags was 46½p for 10 Players No.6 split with a mate. It’s staggering to see how much people are paying for cigs these days – it’s quite worrying really, as one’s level of consumption stays the same, so other stuff must have to give.

anagallis_arvensis

How much do them e fags cost then? Why doesnt everyone smoke them?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Considerably less. Prob £20-30ish to get going. A 20 a day habit could be substituted for maybe, £10/month – more if you buy high street liquids. That’s, erm, fag packet maths though. But it’s a fair chunk less than seven or eight quid a day.

bearnecessities

..because you look like a crack head, instead of stupid.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Most people I know who smoke, are on the roll ups for this reason.

seosamh77
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Considerably less. Prob £20-30ish to get going. A 20 a day habit could be substituted for maybe, £10/month – more if you buy high street liquids. That’s, erm, fag packet maths though. But it’s a fair chunk less than seven or eight quid a day.

I’d say I spend about 40 quid a month on ecigs, about £30 on liquids for the month (I can get much cheaper but I prefer the stuff I get (90ml I buy a month so 33p a ml.)) and say a tenner a month over the year buying new bits for my ecig, they don’t last and do need regular replacing.

Beats spending £200 a month on mayfair(£285 a month if marlboro) or £80/100 quid a month on roll ups.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

..because you look like a crack head, instead of as well as stupid.

FIFY

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t be a tool Chubster. At least not all your life hun.

jimjam
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

..because you look like a crack head sinister pervert, instead of stupid.

Double fixed.

chewkw
    Free Member

£1 fake 20 Marlboro cigarette (£2.50 normal retail price) in the far east and sometimes you get change if you buy more than 1 pack. 😯

earl_brutus

When i was a stupid and impressionable teen it was 1.80 for a pack of twenty marlboro, never got through more than a a pack a week, got a little older and realised they do **** all good for you and swapped them 5 years later for mountainbiking as a more productive yet probably more expensive hobby! But i mean nearly a tenner a pack, honestly, why would you? Thats a new santa cruz a year if you smoke a pack a day!

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I smoke,not because its big, cool, or any other bollocks non smokers spout, I am an addict. tried hypnotherapy, e cigs, patches and other stuff from doctors i still smoke at 47 and not proud.

Junkyard
    Free Member

better and cheaper ways to feed the addiction IMHO

Exit addict not being smug but trying to be helpful

FWIW one day you wont understand WhyTF you ever did it

lerk
    Free Member

I packed in at about £8 a pack for embassy no1’s, and three months later bought an entry level cx bike from the proceeds!

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

What i dont understand is why the government thinks upping the price stupidley high will stop me wanting a cigarette. I want to stop for my health and be a better example to my 3 chidren. For what its worth packed up alcohol a piece of piss no probs whatsoever.

northernmatt

Had planned on knocking it on the head properly this month but doing dry january as well means I need a vice. I’ve cut down quite a lot from where I was so I’m planning on just stopping, no e-cigs or nowt like that.

Harris
    Free Member

I work for a company that produces filter tips for cigarettes. We make billions every week but every smoker on site rolls their own.

wrecker
    Free Member

..because you look like a crack head sinister pervert

There’s one thing which makes me think “pervert” instantly, and that’s lycra. every time.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I also roll my own cigerettes,think most smokers in the uk do now, i could be wrong though. I am defo going to give the e cigs another go. what does boil my piss though is how the e cigs are being advertised with flavours that appeal to youngsters and with statements like, use this (insert product or brand) and stand out from the crowd.

nealglover
    Free Member

The main reason for the flavours in ecigs, at least to start with, was that after a few weeks without smoking, your taste buds come back and the tobacco flavours are awful. So they produced other flavours that would be more popular.

seosamh77
    Free Member

fallsoffalot – Member
    What i dont understand is why the government thinks upping the price stupidley high will stop me wanting a cigarette.

Played a part in me giving up cost and health was proabably about a 40/60 consideration for me.

(I do still smoke sometimes, I find it incredibly easy to switch between cig and ecig now, I’d say my smoking is probably somewhere around 5% the level it was because if ecigs, I really should just go the whole hog. ).

nostoc
    Free Member

At nearly a tenner a packet I dont think Id want filters in them taking out all the stuff that I`d paid my money for.

chestrockwell

I went to roll-ups when Marlboro hit £8, then to e-cigs 2 years ago. After a month or so I realised I was spending loads and not getting the enjoyment I used to get from proper smoking every now and then so packed up all together. Was able to afford a new car with the savings.

I honestly don’t know how anyone can afford to smoke the premium tabs now.

zippykona

I usee to work with a Vietnamese mechanic who smoked 70 a day.
    Wonder if he can still afford it or is dead?
    P’s he was incredibly fit. Could do pull ups on the car lifts all day long if you liked.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Strong, not really fit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One of the few areas where higher tax makes sense?

chestrockwell

Only if it actually stops people smoking.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That would be one benefit, but not the only one.

nealglover
    Free Member

Only if it actually stops people smoking.

smoking in the UK was at it lowest rate for 80 years in 2013

Something seems to be working, I’m sure price is a pretty big factor.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah, the tax is solely to dissuade people from smoking. It’s not ripping money out of addicts at all.
    If they gave a shit, they’d ban them (which is exactly what they should do).

cardo

My old boss moaned about how the company was skint and they couldn’t afford this and that but he was doing a pack a day… I can take or leave it and spend 95% of the week smoke free but after a couple of beers there are a few of us who will share a pack of rolly baccy.. the first one is interesting after abstaining all week.
    One thing I have noticed is the e-cig contraption brigade in our local mostly seem to be smoking tobacco again.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

price is a big motivator for some people agreed but doesnt help break the addiction one bit. I stopped for nearly 5 weeks, was told craving would stop after a couple of weeks.what a load of shit.still wanted a cig as bad as the first day i packed up, could not think straight, headache, was an absalute bastard to everyone including family, boss and friends i was a complete bloody wreck. how is raising the tax helping a smoker like me

Northwind

Always seems like a particularily crap addiction. Not a very good high, hugely addictive, very damaging, not even cheap or socially acceptable… Might as well stick to coke

Drac

how is raising the tax helping a smoker like me

You could try helping yourself instead of expecting the government to do something.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

drac have you read my other posts. not crying about it i am just pissed off with people thinking put the price up that will stop the nasty habbit

Drac

not crying about it i am just pissed off with people thinking put the price up that will stop the nasty habbit

It has helped with many, others just carry on paying the expense. It’s a habit I’m so glad I never took up, the amount of people I see with illnesses caused by it and all of them regret starting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Cigarettes’ is closed to new replies.