Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ciclo Montana / Basque MTB
  • anono

First things first – I’m not looking for which is “best”, just a comparison from anyone who’s been to both outfits.

I’ve been to Ciclo and thought it was amazing. Loved the set up, the riding, the food and the weather. However, I’ve heard such great things about Basque MTB I’m really interested in giving it a go (specifically the backcountry Pyrenees trip).

So has anyone out there been to both, and if so, how do they differ? In particular how does the riding compare? Ciclo is probably about as technical as I need – I don’t want to go on the Pyrenees trip and find I’m out of my depth.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not done Basque… but Marco told us we were the best group he ever had…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not done ciclo…but Doug said he didn’t get any pictures of me because I was too fast.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Of those two, I’ve only done basquemtb but I can certainly recommend it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Anyone done Basque MTB via a London airport? I can’t see flights to any of the transfer options

Rubber_Buccaneer

Marco told us we were the best group he ever had..

You sure you weren’t just the best that week? The week after the Swedish netball team?

charliemort

flew to Bilbao from heathrow with BA – bikes go free

I loved Basque MTB. Not done Ciclo. We had a great group, but what made it beyond the riding was the area – great to go out for a few beers / pintxos, go to san sebastian etc.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Marco told us we were the best group he ever had..
    You sure you weren’t just the best that week? The week after the Swedish netball team?

Was definitely after the Swedish Netball team, which we missed the week before..

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bilbao from heathrow with BA

Thanks, I will look again

charliemort

then it’s a bus to san sebastian (about an hour, dead easy) and they pick you up there

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I organised a bikepacking trip in May which finished in Bilbao, 1 of the group flew to Stanstead on the Sunday evening with, I’m pretty sure, Easyjet. Prices are around €30 +bike.

anono

Meant to bump this last night for the Sunday readers, but got carried away clearing out the shed….

Rik
    Free Member

Both fab but very different costwise.

Done Ciclo twice excellent time had and very cheap. Marco and Jacky are fab

Basque once on the main trip rather than backcountry. Riding great, town is amazing, Doug was nice but the holiday was nearly twice as expensive

anono

Cheers Rik – how would you compare the riding – I guess drier and rockier with ciclo? Which did you find the more technical?

kelron
    Free Member

BKXC on Youtube has a bunch of videos riding with BasqueMTB, if it helps.

I’d recommend muting it and skipping through the vlog stuff but the riding is nice.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Guys, don’t confuse our Backcountry trip with the Basque Coast stuff. It’s all really different with a different structure. BKXC is awesome and a lovely guy, in fact just last week I recommended to him that he check out Ciclo too.

Rik, I think you came a while back. We have increased the prices since then but now we have a full time uplift and run about 70-80% uplift if you want. Also we have accommodation in the center of one of the most popular towns in Spain, 10 minutes walk from the beach. All that costs a bit.

I don’t want to come across defensive though, even if I am being 🙂 We have lots of people who come each year and also visit ciclo and speak highly of them, i plan to visit them when i can too. I’m just hoping that I get the week with the Swedish basketball team!

Edit: have I just broken the golden rule about commenting on a thread about us? Sorry if so.

scuttler

Edit: have I just broken the golden rule about commenting on a thread about us? Sorry if so.

Nah – seems to be working quite well on the car leasing thread up there ^^

doug_basqueMTB.com

:oops:. I feel a website redesign coming on.

wool

Not sure how Ciclo does it for the money…….ill get my coat.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Been with both Doug (winter enduro) and also Marco/Jackie

Both great and looked after extremely well

Riding wise, Basque easily pips it by variety of terrain…quality of trails – one of the best weeks riding I have done – and consider myself pretty well bike travelled.

davidtdh
    Free Member

Hi. I have done BasqueMTB coast and back country, and been to Ciclo Montana this October. They are all great teams, Basque having the larger team and playing in a different league, hence the cost difference. If you want to mix great trails and coastline with a night in a great town, full of nice bars and restaurants, then do the coastal trip..it’s great. If you want greenery, mountains, the most variety of trails (see BYXC on Youtube),the chance to ride in a small group to suit your riding ability, choose Basque. If you want cheaper, mostly rocky / technical trails then choose Ciclo. Heck, go to them both and find out for yourself, they are both great, friendly, professional, fun, great food and you can choose yourself where to return to.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ciclo Montana / Basque MTB’ is closed to new replies.