Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ciao ciao Italia! Where to go?
  • MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Okey… it’s time for the Swedes to explore a new MTB destination: lake Garda, Italy. Now we need some help. Where shall we go and what organization shall we ride with?

Thanks for helping! 🙂

/Maria and Jennie

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m going to italy with rivierabikes.co.uk in Sept.
    If you can wait until after that I’ll email my track logs. but it’s prolly not nr Garda anyway. Soz

allthepies
    Free Member

Two Swedish Ladies ?

<straightens tie>

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

We’re going in about three weeks already… Celebrating Easter in Italy. =)

Even though it’s not Garda, I’ll check rivierabikes out. We only have a ticket and a car so basically we could go anywhere.

Thanks!

/Maria

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Oh yes! Two Swedish ladies! I’ve realised before that people at this forum become very helpful if you happen to mention your nationality + gender, hehe… 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi again, What did you think of the mountain biking in Scotland and where did you go, any pictures?

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Hi there!

Now I’m curious… How did you know I’ve been biking i Scotland? Have we “talked” before?

Anyway, I’ve been biking there twice, have tried these places:

Glentress – favourite!
    Innerleithen – liked it, though slippery due to rain and with concussion from face planting the day before 🙁
    Ae – really liked it
    Kirroughtree – really liked it too
    Laggan Wolftrax – another favourite 🙂
    Aviemore/Rothiemurchus – not a favourite, didn’t find a lot of single tracks, cold and some snow…
    Witch’s trail/Ben Nevis – ok but not too impressive
    Kyle of Sutherland – short but fun

I think that’s it… And I’d love to go back! Any tips? I’ve also heard that Wales is great for MTBing. Ever been there?

/Maria

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No mystery, I’ve MTB’d in Italy and looked at your post, but I’ve never been to lake Garda, so can’t help you.
    I then recalled you posting 12 months ago about a trip to Scotland, so just interested about where you actually went to after all the advice, everyone likes visitors to enjoy themselves in their country.
    Wales has trail centres like Scotland (Wales is where the UK trail centre thing all started), but there’s still lots more for you to explore in Scotland. 😀

piha
    Free Member

I went to Riva del Garda last September and thoroughly enjoyed it. Booked an apartment and hire car from home and flew into Milan. Nice drive from Milan to Riva. We planned our rides from here – http://www.gardamtb.com/index_eng.php

Most of the local bike shops have good maps available(as do many hotels) and they seemed helpful enough, we used Meckis in Torbole for info and post ride sustenance. The trails are quite well marked but be prepared for some big climbs. There are some lovely places to eat in Riva del Garda and Torbole and we found some nice places to have lunch in Molina di Ledro when we were out on the bikes.

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Where in Italy did you ride? Anything you can recommend?

I really like Scotland! Both the great MTBing it offers, but also the country itself. Beautiful and nice for a roadtrip (even though you’re driving on the wrong side… 😉 ).

If I would go MTBing in Wales, do you know which airport/destination to fly to?

What other places in Scotland do you recommend for MTBing that I haven’t been?

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

@piha: Thanx! I’ll check it out!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been to Aosta in the Alps a few times, but quite a few years ago, so Pila above Aosta is excellent for a few days and around that area, also Sauze d’oulx, but that’s all a long way from Garda.

In Scotland, southern Seven7 Stanes – Dalbeattie, Mabie, Drumlanrig. Scotland Highlands – Golspie, Laggan, Learnie. There has also been some new stuff built at Fort William (aonach Mor) http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/activities_mountain_biking.asp .
    There are masses of great natural Scotland trails, but they will be more mixed up stuff like you experienced at Aviemore.

You need to ask on here specifically about the best way to visit the best Wales trail centres. Afan (afan argoed) is very good, you could spend a few days riding the trails there, but need to be careful about security, they have some theft from cars and tents. Coed y Brenin is were it all started and has 6 trails. Other trails are Brechfa, cli-max, Llandegla, Cwncarn, Penmachno, Nant yr Arian, Gwydyr Forest and one or two others. All these are man made forest trails, but there are natural trails aswell.

If you specifically like the trail centres, there is a book you can buy – Mountain Biking Trail Centres The Guide – by Tom Fenton. It’s always out of date though, there are always new trails being built everywhere.

BigJohn

We stayed between Malcesine and Torbola and that’s handy for Monte Baldo. We went for the windsurfing primarily so not much help.

Food was good though. Except the night I ordered a starter and a main course which were both almost identical. The gnocchi starter and linguine main were both smothered in the same ragu.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Just came across this chat, ha u prob won’t remember but I met you both at kirroughtree On the mcmoab section. if I’m right one of ya worked for Volvo coz I was tellin ya about my friend who was working there in goth. sounds like your both gettin around loads, you should get overtook Wales sometime there is some great riding over there at the trail centres and plenty off open access riding xc to be had. get in touch if ya over this way and fancy hitting some trails, be happy to show you around. enjoy Italy

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

@B.A.nana: Thanks a lot! I’ll save this info for my next trip to the UK.

@BigJohn: Thanks. =) And I’ll remember to make sure I order different things for starter and main course. 😉

@mikeclarke: That’s crazy!!! I can’t believe we’ve met. I think I remember you… Were you the one taking a picture of us, then biking the stony part like you’ve never done anything else? And yes, I used to work for Volvo Trucks, then Volvo Buses, so that was us for sure. Thanks for offering us a guided tour. =)

@all: ever heard of the French organisation UCPA? It’s a GREAT company if you like an active vacation of any kind. I’ve travelled with them quite a few times, for MTBing, surfing, and lots and lots of skiing. They have some great MTB options, I’m thinking of maybe going with them this summer as well: http://www.ucpa.co.uk/

However, the offer on the French, Swedish and British site differ somewhat. F ex there is a possibility on the Swedish UCPA site to book a 6 day long trip, starting in the mountains, ending by the Mediterranean sea. Can’t find it on the British site… If you speak French, check out the French site as well: http://www.ucpa.com (Or the Swedish one: http://www.ucpa.se).

Cheers!
    Maria

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Maria, yes that was me. I think I managed to take the pic before one of you went flying. That rocky section is pretty hard going at the best of times. I’d love to see someone ride it clean. Post on here once you’ve done Italy I’d be interested to see what It’s like for future reference.

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

OK, will post some pics from Garda once I’m back!

Have you ever been MTB:ing outside UK? Anything you can recommend?

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Oh yeah i love biking abroad. I can recommend freeride spain they are great. I can highly recommend Arizona, Utah, Collorado, i love the states for riding it is amazing!! Email on mjc_226@yahoo.co.uk i can send u loads of info about riding in these places and other places ive been if u want. Im looking to do Morroco in June maybe!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ciao ciao Italia! Where to go?’ is closed to new replies.