Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Chvrches
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve always hated synth pop, but for some reason I bloody love this band.

BlobOnAStick

Agreed.

But

Having seen footage of them live, I find her voice a bit too weak outside of the studio. I’m no singer myself, but I am a little disappointed with that.

theotherjonv

Love them too – from where I’ve also expanded into Beach House, Wolf Alice, and refound my love of Mazzy Star, Cocteau Twins, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought the album (Every Open Eye) was a bit samey, but as I sit here in semi darkness on pretence of finishing my expenses but instead listening on headphones, it sounds much better.

budgierider67

I’ve always hated synth pop, but for some reason I bloody love this band.

I’m the yin to your yang.

Northwind

You might like Lauren’s previous band Blue Sky Archives (this is daft but I’d seen both bands live and thought “hey, she sounds familiar” but had no clue there was a connection.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFSau8BUc0U[/video]

Chvrches guitarist was in the mighty Aerogramme too

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9mhcim3dQ[/video]
    (ignore the strings, this song was way better live but then you didn’t get the bikin)

6079smithw
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/z5wLpQkmQIY[/video]

dumbbot
    Free Member

Teeny pop beige shite

derek_starship
    Free Member

I like Chvrches.

And Lauren is absolutely beautiful…………..

DezB
    Free Member

I thought I liked them. Then a track was playing in my car and my 14 yo son said “Blimey Dad what’s this rubbish?! Weedy pop!” and I realised the truth. Thanks kid.

ads678

DezB – Does your missus buy you clothes for you as well?

DezB
    Free Member

Er, no. I haven’t got one. Relevance?

prawny

I like Chvrches, but I prefer Aereogramme, shame they split.

That said, I listened to the first Chvrches album on repeat when I was reading The Goldfinch, and it fit the mood of the book perfectly. I’d be happy if it was the soundtrack to the film when they get round to making it.

mogrim

Teeny pop beige shite

+1

flange
    Free Member

Struggle a bit with Chvrches, but this…this is magnificent. I’ve never really liked LCD Soundsystem but this was on repeat during a trip to the Alps with my brother – sublime..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0[/video]

EDIT: Embedding it didn’t work

Try it here

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I like Chvrches.

And Lauren is absolutely beautiful…………..

+1

Saw them live in Seattle – good gig. Second album arguably not as strong, but big fan here. Also better played loud, or through headphones.

ads678

DezB – sorry, just joking that you have to be told by your son what music you like.

DezB
    Free Member

No worries – just couldn’t be further from the truth! 😉

As someone has already posted LCD (again, relevance?! 😆 )
    I like to think this song’s about me 8)

[video]https://youtu.be/6xG4oFny2Pk[/video]

Lauren is absolutely beautiful…..

Glad someone could help us with the important facts.

tjagain

Awful whiny mush

shadowfax

Pretty good actually.

zilog6128

Their original songs are OK but that attempt at Killing In The Name has gotta be one of the worst covers I’ve ever heard!

Northwind

@6079, of all the bad cover versions of killing in the name, that is surely the worst. They’re no The Apples

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3X20QP4Ts[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They’re no The Apples

That’s fantastic.

user-removed
    Free Member

This is all really, really bad. All of it. Always on the lookout for new music but all of this is terrible. It’s music for people who don’t really like music.

somafunk

I love the synth pop sound of chvrches, think i’ll have a listen to their Glastonbury set at work t’day.

Do i win the stw pointless opinion post of the day?

DezB
    Free Member

Do i win the stw pointless opinion post of the day?

Probably not. Someone will be along soon to say how music is subjective and there is almost an infinite amount of choice. 😆

nickc

DezB wins pointless post of the day….

DezB
    Free Member

Yay! 😀

somafunk

This forum is no place for collective reasoning, i want arguments and flounces along with a unhealthy disregard for opposing points of view followed by name calling.

We need chewkw to post his opinion.

(no…we really don’t need chewkw)

dumbbot
    Free Member

It’s music for people who don’t really like music.

end of thread

brassneck

I was recommended LCD Soundsystem many moons ago, by my local independent record shop .. ‘I think you might like this…’

Then I listened to ‘losing my edge’ and wondered if I was a bit too friendly with them.

I think an STW meme’d rewrite could be good.

DezB
    Free Member

James Murphy is absolutely beautiful.

user-removed
    Free Member

We need chewkw to post his opinion.

(no…we really don’t need chewkw)

I’m happy to stand in for the day if you like. I have similar levels of passion but can’t quite match the bursts of random towering rage, and my keyboard stamina is not what it was.

Really though, this thread does need someone to intervene on behalf of music that hasn’t been poo-ed out of a hipster’s beard.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve only really seen the Chvrches NPR tiny desk concert and thought that was pretty good:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haunJARHPm4[/video]

There are loads of good NPR tiny desk concerts – well worth a browse if you’ve not seen them before.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m hoping you are 13! 😆

the-muffin-man

DezB
    Free Member

Christ, that’s a shit t-shirt.

seosamh77
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Probably not. Someone will be along soon to say how music is subjective and there is almost an infinite amount of choice.

Infinite amount of choice within some fairly narrow parameters! 😆 Particularly within the “weedy pop” genre!

user-removed
    Free Member

I must admit, I liked epicsteve’s link for about 10 seconds. Almost looked like Drugstore but then the music started.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

cheers for the apples cover, that’s going on my set list for an upcoming 40th birthday party. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Chvrches’ is closed to new replies.