Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Church Bells – anyone like them?
  • convert

If so, want to swap houses? 👿

I live next door but one but one to a church (house comes with job – not a choice- well it is but you know what I mean!). Tuesday is bell ringing night – I’m normally at work or swimming but not at the moment. Mrs Convert always complained about the noise but thought she was talking rubbish. Bloody asshats! 2hrs of the same frigging repetitive god awful shit. So loud you can’t listen to telly/radio or have a conversation. I wouldn’t mind (I would) if they actually used the bloody things before or after services, but they never seem to use them ‘in anger’. What the crap are they practising for?

Campanologists, up there with DJing in your bedroom and jet skiing as an antisocial hobby – bellends!

Thanks for reading,

Grumpy Atheist.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Mohhamedans don’t come ’round here wavin’ bells at us! We don’t get Buddhists playing bagpipes in our bathroom! Or Hindus harmonizing in the hall! The Shintoists don’t come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse and shouting slogans…

shifter
    Free Member

Great memories from my childhood – staying at grandparents and listening to church bells across the valley. Thanks for reminding me!

dannyh
    Free Member

Did the presence of a bell tower two doors away from your house not set, excuse me, alarm bells ringing?

project
    Free Member

I live next door but one but one to a church (house comes with job – not a choice- well it is but you know what I mean!).

youre a VICAR, or you bat for the other side and youre a catholic

mattbibbings
    Free Member

It’s Thursday nights here. 2 hours at 7pm. If I had kids I would even less impressed because its load, turged and relentless. Why can it not be practised at reasonable hour when most of the working world is trying to relax/have dinner/get their kids to sleep?

Another grumpy atheist.

convert

youre a VICAR, or you bat for the other side and youre a catholic

The Vic has got the right idea and lives further down the village. Looks like a cooshy job – spends most of the daylight hours under the landy he is doing up. Dog collar and boiler suit is a good look!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Err, was the church there before you bought your house? I’ll take a wild guess & say it was.
    It’s like people moving into a house next to a railway line then complaining about the trains making a noise!

If It’s that bad, get another job. 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

At times like this, I like to think of the words of the great Lord Denning

In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last 70 years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practise while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there any more. He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that when a batsman hits a six the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at week-ends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the judge to stop the cricket being played. And the judge, much against his will, has felt that he must order the cricket to be stopped: with the consequence, I suppose, that the Lintz Cricket Club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

dannybgoode

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBlRB1HH2g[/video]

Note I’ve linked for the Python sketch and not the video that someone has used…

franksinatra

We stayed in a self catering place in Burford a few times, it was lovely apart from the bell ringing from the church next door. I always thought the local genteel would be less understanding if I was to open a mosque in the town, then become an muezzin and called my Muslim brothers to prayer at the same volume. I would also need to practice this for two hours every Wednesday evening.

convert

Err, was the church there before you bought your house? I’ll take a wild guess & say it was.

You don’t read good do you (sorry, I’m grumpy – having your brain raped by the noise of satan does that)? Not my house – just live here. Yes, living here makes very (very) good financial sense – so this is something I just have to suck up. Doesn’t mean I can’t grumble about it though – I’m a middle aged atheist – it’s what I was born to do!

Nipper99
    Free Member

^^ Denning – the great man himself.

Markie
    Free Member

Atheist here, and I love them. Church is a few hundred meters from us and its a pleasure to hear them on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. The one downside is that Ms Markie Jr also thinks they’re ace and now goes to church every Sunday in order to be allowed to ring one herself once the proper bods are done.

I don’t think they’ll be able to make a believer out of her but the chance of her becoming a botherer is higher now than it was a year ago, not least because a few weeks back the vicar blessed the wine, the wafers and her snack tub of cashew nuts…

franksinatra

I’ wonder what would happen if I wanted to put in a planning application for a new meeting hall for a club that i have formed in the centre of a town. It would have a massive tower and several times a weeks we would ring the bells from the massive tower so everybody in the town could hear them. Tis would be for the benefit of a tiny majority of people who wanted to be in the club

I don’t go to church, can you tell?

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, Sinatra – I reckon there’s a difference between ringing some bells, and wiring up a loudspeaker on the church tower saying “god is great, come and worship god, there is no other god, you must come and pray to god, there is noone else worthy of worship than my god, all other gods are rubbish”

Scamper
    Free Member

I only started ringing to get into the local community, and they all went to the pub afterwards. 🙂

The mid week ring could sometimes be a bit testing if listening as you are practicing a new call change, training up newbies or generally having an off night.

yunki
    Free Member

ninfan – blah blah blah blah blah

I know we can report folk for blatant racism.. but what about those idiots that just pop up occasionally to spout xenophobic bollocks – utterly betraying what goes on inside their squalid little minds, but never actually saying quite enough to cross the boundaries of decency..

is there anything we can do about those people..?

jekkyl

I agree ridiculous stupid noise pandering to declining numbers. Can’t help but think of Vivian on the Young Ones with a hangover “SHUT UP YOU BAS TARDS”

convert

It’s stopped……I.will.never.be.in.on.a.Tuesday.evening.again!

Thanks God, you have ensured at least one night a week is compulsory training night.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yunki – WTF?

OK, tell me exactly which part of the Adhan is not represented there, and it Was Sinatra who brought up the subject of Mosques – and WTF Xenophobia has to do with either cricket, race or religion I don’t know

Maybe you need to learn to read rather than act like a reactionary idiot!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Hmm, Sinatra – I reckon there’s a difference between ringing some bells, and wiring up a loudspeaker on the church tower saying “god is great, come and worship god, there is no other god, you must come and pray to god, there is noone else worthy of worship than my god, all other gods are rubbish”

I would expect the call to prayer to be considerably more soothing than church bells.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knu-HYHA0wM[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

just going by some crap I remember you posting on other threads too..

KonaTC

Lived near a church as s kid hated the bloody noise especially on a Sunday morning. All of the houses I have bought have been nowhere near churches or bells 😛

ninfan
    Free Member

So, made up in your own head and extrapolated out of your arse then!

(PS. in case it escapes you, you don’t have to be foreign to believe in a particular sky fairy or be another colour)

yunki
    Free Member

yerp.. exactly that
    I see you don’t deny any stuff from other threads though.. I think it was the birmingham EDL thread that I remembered your schtick from, and your name stuck in my mind as there can’t actually be many people willing to admit that they are nin fans.. 🙂

alexpalacefan

Couldn’t agree more. Bloody racket!

APF

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I would expect the call to prayer to be considerably more soothing than church bells.

That depends on who’s doing the howling calling & who’s doing the clanging ringing.

The bells, the bells FTW.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yunki, I see you don’t deny thats what the Adhan says either 🙄

See, the dichotomy is that you think that objecting to someone shouting “my gods better than your god” is intolerance, whereas objecting to someone ringing a bell to praise their god is acceptable behaviour!

yunki
    Free Member

no no.. you’re completely right..

a total overreaction on my part based entirely on my preconceptions and prejudice

trail_rat
    Free Member

id imagine if the bell ringers didnt practice – weddings in the church would be a bit awful sounding …..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see you don’t deny thats what the Adhan says either

FFS Zulu-Eleven, the call to prayer is hardly ‘offensive’.

http://islam.about.com/cs/prayer/f/adhan_english.htm

I bear witness that there is no god except the One God.

I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.

Hurry to the prayer

duncan

Crikey.

Where I come from (Cambridgeshire) bellringing has got bugger all to do with religion. At least, not in the minds of the bellringers, anyway.

To answer the original question, I guess I do quite like them, in a nostalgic sort of way. Now I live next door to a football stadium though…

piemonster

I’m gonna use that at work tomorrow

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to live near a very large Church, every Weds they would ring, every day it would chime, Sunday mornings would be a cacophony of ambient chimes.

I blooming miss it.

convert

id imagine if the bell ringers didnt practice – weddings in the church would be a bit awful sounding …..

That’s just it – they never seem to use them for real – plenty of weddings, funerals and normal god bothering but never a peep out em. Just Tuesdays and always the same 2 or 3 second round (is that right?) again and again and again – for 2 frigging hours. Got to admire their endurance!

ninfan
    Free Member

Lynch, not him, told ya before, nice try!

Who said it was offensive?

Mrs Convert always complained about the noise but thought she was talking rubbish. Bloody asshats! 2hrs of the same frigging repetitive god awful shit.

5 sessions a day of Allahu Akbar! how **** awful is that!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they never seem to use them for real – plenty of weddings, funerals and normal god bothering but never a peep out em.

You want them to ring the church bells for funerals ? 🙂

convert

Just to enter the weird religious side debate and seems to have arisen… I spent a couple of years living in Turkey. Strangely I quite liked the azan when there. But then again I wasn’t living on top of the friggin thing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lynch, not him, told ya before, nice try!

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot………..you’re not Zulu-Eleven 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Church Bells – anyone like them?’ is closed to new replies.