Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chunky monkey on the rear?
  • filks

Thinking about putting a chunky monkey 50a compound job on the rear of the full suss with my fave softer edged chunky monkey 50/42 up front. Anyone else used a ‘monkey on the rear?

weeksy

Slow but burly, heavy and enduroy.

cp

yes – it’s pretty draggy, noticeably so compared to a smorg. If you mainly ride down, and/or massively prioritise going down then they work well… if not then i’d go smorg or similar.

Del

love ’em tubeless on the rear of my chameleon. can’t say i find them draggy.

leegee

I’m using one currently and I don’t like it. it is a bit worn but its draggy and needs a lot of pressure to prevent dinging rims and not that grippy.

filks

Are you/did you run the 50a or the dual compound at the back?

Andy-R

I ran one last summer on the rear of my singlespeed – to be honest, I didn’t notice it being much draggier than the Smorg that I usually use. I swapped back for the winter though, as clearance was a bit tight for muddier conditions.

I might use one as a rear on my Alpitude in Greece this summer.

leegee

Trail extreme, is that dual compound?

conkers
    Free Member

I’ve run both on the back. The dual compound is rubbish as the side knobs tear and round off quickly giving some very sideways moments. The single compound is great though. The side knobs are still well defined and intact even now the the centre blocks are well worn.
    Fantastic grip in most conditions except sloppy deep mud but what all round tyre is good in those conditions.
    As for draggy maybe but I prioritise grip on descents over climbing speed. It’s on a par with trail kings and most certainly not as bad as a Magic Mary boat anker on the back.

ontor
    Free Member

Dual compound front, single compound rear. Awesome

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I gave up using it on the rear after destroying 2 of them in the lakes in quick succession.

Better with a trail boss, quicker, tougher and about as grippy.

leegee

Put a big hole in mine on the final descent of Penmachno Wednesday. Put loads of air probably 35 psi and it was great at Llandegla. It’s coming off now though.

eulach

I put one on my trail bike because I didn’t have anything else and was pleasantly surprised. Had one on the uplift bike for 4 days out last year, didn’t have any problems.

BlobOnAStick

Prefer the other way round – smorg on the back, chunk on the front. Fab Combo IMO.

chipster

Prefer the other way round – smorg on the back, chunk on the front. Fab Combo IMO.

+1
    However, the Smorg wasn’t quite man enough to stand a 100kg, fat, old bloke, on a Solaris, on Tenerife rocks. Although I didn’t shred it, there were 4 or 5 cuts in it when I got back home, and dry wheel milk stuck to the downtube. It’s still up and rideable (and the dry wheel milk’s still there), but I’m retiring it, when I get around to it.
    No problems with the Chunky on the front, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chunky monkey on the rear?’ is closed to new replies.