Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chunky Monkey front/Smorgasbord rear – anyone?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just bought some – coming tomorrow to use tubeless in the peak as i wanted new tyres and these are cheap as chips. Easy to tubeless on stans flows?
    I gather they are grippy, but how tough?

akira

running chunky monkey 29 on stans crest, not tubeless though. Was a pretty easy fit so prob not quite as good tubeless as some other tyres I’m guessing.
    no punctures so far and it grips like a bad thing dipped in Velcro.

mickeyb0305
    Free Member

Bought same for new Scandal build with carbon fork yesterday, feel fairly heavy but for price worth a try!

djbmtb
    Free Member

I run these tubeless on flow ex. They went up very easily, better than other tubeless ready tires I’ve had before. Very grippy indeed but how tough I can’t say yet as not had them that long yet

Cheezpleez

I’ve got a Smorgasbord 29er tubeless on a Crest rear. Went up easily and seems good, although I’ve only done one, very slithery, ride on it so far. It drifted very easily but it’s difficult to say how much of that was the tyre and how much was just down to the conditions. Anyway, I liked it

tmb467
    Free Member

Just bought the same combination in 26″ Rumour is it that the smorgasbord is almost as good as a Conti Baron and Ed Oxley endorses the Chunky Monkey

I’d asked On One about tubeless and they said (obviously as sales people are wont to do) that they run fine like that using Joes Sealant

For a price of 27.48 for two tyres, I don’t think you can really go too badly wrong. If they’re shit ill just get some Black Chili

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Do they go up and seal quickly – got 2 hours before riding to get em sorted !!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Failed on tubeless attempt one

tmb467
    Free Member

got mine today – i’ll run em with tubes first to try and settle them into the bead for a week or two

then if they work ok I’ll go ghetto with some gorilla tape and a bit of latex

keep on the with updates!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My chunky monkey is 850g btw

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My chunky monkey is 850g btw

euain

Consistent at least 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Immense tyres, Grippy as **** and not draggy

vincienup
    Free Member

I have a pair of the dual compound 26’s that I keep meaning to try.
    At the price they would have to be pretty dreadful to not even get left on my commuter- and they may get left on as ‘new tyre of choice’ … You know… faster than anything you’ve ever ridden, never washes out etc (until the next new best ever tyre…) 🙂

composite
    Free Member

I got brand new versions of both those tyres for the same front and rear setup ready and waiting for when it dries out a bit. Can’t wait to try them actually, seems like ages since I have run some nice big tyres as I have been on the 2.0s for what seems like forever dealing with the mud.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve got a dual compound Chunky Monkey on the front of my Blue Pig and have tried the Smorgasbord on the front and rear of my Soul.
    Both went up tubeless easily with a track pump after being left with a tube in overnight and sealed straight away with no leaks.
    Both tyres are pretty tough as they have ‘Eckso’ protection on the sidewalls, the downside of which is that they’re quite heavy, my Smorgasboard is 820g (Enduro, folding), the Chunky Monkey coming in slightly lighter at 810g.
    As a peaks tyre they should be fine, however I’d be wary of the Smorgasbord in mud, It’s good in all other conditions but slippy as hell when it’s muddy.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Wasn’t too bad round hope last night in the shitty mud

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Splash of neat washing up liquid round one bead and ping – no probs. Now tubeless using the sealant from on-one

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chunky Monkey front/Smorgasbord rear – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.