Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chunky Monkey 29er tyres
  • dubber
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience with these from on-one or even their Smorgasbord tyre ? At £25 each they look a bargain or should I just pay the extra and go for the Maxxis Minion dhf & dhr that I originally wanted.

wonnyj
    Free Member

They’re decent. I’ve used 29″ and 26″ .

bungalistic
    Free Member

Had a 29 smorgy and it was just as good as other tyres i’ve used. It does go up tubeless but isn’t ‘designed’ too, so something to bear in mind. Got a chunky monky 27.5 and I really like it, great tyre for when conditions are not too muddy, good up here in the Lakes.

weeksy

Bot are fine, a little ‘slow’ arguably, but decent rubber. I’ve had on previous bikes and have them on my Parkwood now from new.

dubber
    Free Member

Sound decent for the money then … thanks.

Hadn’t even noticed that their not designed for tubeless , will have to read the details better.

Sometimes there’s that much choice it’s confusing .

pictonroad

They’re great and they go up fine tubeless, quite rounded rather than square in profile if that matters to you.

dantsw13

Ive been using CM & smorgs tubeless for years.
    As a rear, get the smorg with a harder central compound for less drag/wear.

The CM is a great Alps tyre.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Good tyres. I’ve got the CM/Smorgasbord combo on both my bikes. Great in most conditions with a bit of rear end excitement (fnaar fnaar) when it gets really muddy.

Very easy to set up tubeless

kimbers

CM on the front of my 29er is great, tubeless no probs, good all round tyre apart from really claggy mud

martinkiely
    Free Member

Had both (in 29″) – both good, both go tubeless no problem, would definitely recommend, especially if On-One are selling at one of the usual silly prices!

cp

I’ve got CM and Smorg fr and rr both Trail Extreme and highly rate them across a wide variety of conditions

Lester
    Free Member

i really like them, ive got the on 29er codeine and nuke proof 650 and also had them on nukeproof 26er. they go up tubeless relly easily, and according tyo on-one,they are made in the same factory as Maxxis , if that actually means anything

dubber
    Free Member

Any idea if it’s worth paying the extra for “Trail Extreme” versions which have a slightly softer compound on the tyre edges or just stick with their “Enduro” versions which have the same compound all the way across and are about £5 cheaper.

The standard “trail” version OE only from what I can see.

They also have some WTB tyres which look similar (trail boss & vigilante)

andyl
    Free Member

What i would say is don’t pay full price for them as they are normally on offer.

I run the dual compound folding smorgs and really rate them tbh. Yes a bit draggy maybe compared to some and no where near as light as my nobby nics but the smorgs do grip very well. I also have CMs on the front of my 26″ and 650b, they are heavy though so I often just run smorgs all round.

I did notice that the 650b version seems to have a slightly lower tread. Maybe to save rubber or make them wear out faster (cinic in me thinks that) or maybe to make them roll a bit better?

ratadog

Another user of dual compound, folding Smorgasbords in 29 and 26. Used as both front and rear on a number of different bikes. Wear well, no real issues, good all round tyre, good price.

oliverracing

Little slow compared to the rest of my lightweight XC rubber, but would be my go to tyre for unknown conditions and the grippiest tyre I own by quite a long way.

I’ve used one for alpine bikepacking right through to winter mud rides (on the front for both as doesn’t fit in the rear of my Spark). At the moment I have one paired with a bonty Mud XR on the rear as is great in all but the slimiest slop.

faustus

Worth a punt for the front!

Currently my winter many conditions tyre on the front, pretty slow and can get a bit clogged, but otherwise really grippy and come up nice and big. Def paid less than £20 for mine.

dubber
    Free Member

£58 for a Chunky Monkey and a Smorgasbord both in the dual compound version .

Cheap but may wait to see if a voucher code appears in the next few weeks as I always seem to miss the on-one sales .

chakaping
    Free Member

Got my last dual-compound 29er Chunkuy Monkey for £13 I think, in one of their confusing sales.

Great tyre for stuff like the Lakes and for summer, can be a bit skatey in mud though – I’ve found. So I end up with a Magic Mary on the front for 2/3s of the year.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Monkey and Smorg were both as low as ~£13 in 2016.

dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve run the CM / Smorg combo on my 29er and rated them. As other have said a little draggy and quite heavy but they are bomb proof.

Spotted that JE James were selling Spesh Purgatory Grids at £20 and thought I would give them a go. I’d say they are little lighter and slightly better in the mud (and currently cheaper).

devs
    Free Member

Great tyres. They go up and stay up fine tubeless on Stan’s Flow rims and grip well on everything I’ve tried. They’re not light but I’d rather sturdy than light for my bulk and where I ride them.

andyl
    Free Member

pretty sure they were £13 last week. My have been the single compound ones though.

PX customer service is pretty shocking these days though IMO. Only redeeming thing about them at the moment is their tyres.

dubber
    Free Member

@dougieb thanks for the heads up … will have a look a the purgatory.

In no rush as the bike doesn’t arrive for a few weeks so hopefully on-one will decide to have a sale before then.

Thanks all for the advice 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chunky Monkey 29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.