Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chunkey Monkey/Smorgasbord – how chunky and fast?
  • Speeder

Thinking about this combo for the doss bike as nothing appears to beat them for the money. Will the Cm fit on a Reba, how fast are they (they’ll go on the bike I’ll use for draging the kids around on the road a lot so they can’t be too slow) and what’s the weight like for the top spec versions?

Cheers

Gaz

danw117
    Free Member

watching this thread with interest as in the market for some new rubber

rickon
    Free Member

Smorgasboard are a bit draggy, like a High Roller. Chunky Monkey is going to be worse.

Why do you need them if it’s just for karting the kids around? They’re a trail tyre really..

Speeder

It’s going to be a compromise as anything as I’d like to use it for a bit of back to basics/when it too muddy to be bothered cleaning a full sus fun now and again and I might even build it up SS for a bit of training. It will be used off road.

Might just stick my Miche DH24s and be done with it at least they’re free. 😆

Any other opinions

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re proper off-road tyres – they’re never going to be great on the road.

smorgasboards are big enough, grippy enough, light enough, and fast enough, i think they’re a good all-round-compromise.

chunkymonkeys are a bit chunkier.

my folding 29er smorgasboards weigh about 800grams, the quality seems as good as anything else i’ve got, and you can get them for £12.50

chriswilk
    Free Member

got the smorgasboard front and rear on the FS bike.
    Less draggy than the HR/Minion combination they replaced.
    Compared to nobby Nic on the other bike, a little slower, somewhat heavier but waaay more grip.
    Seem to be a good all round tyre, but not done many rides on them yet.

yunki
    Free Member

I like the Chunky Monkey and use one on the front of my rigid soul.. it’s pretty fast rolling for the size and the tread pattern and I haven’t had any problems with grip..

I wasn’t nearly as keen on the Smorgasbord, and it only stayed on the back for a couple of weeks before I switched back to the Fat Albert that it replaced..
    I was looking for new rubber for my child hauling bike recently, and would quite often fall back on old tyres that have been relegated from the mountain bike, but I decided to give the Smorgasbord a miss as I didn’t have enough confidence in it..

The Smorgasbord that I’ve got is the harder trail (?) compound FWIW

bellys
    Free Member

I run a chunky on the front of my full sus and it grips like shit to a blanket…it’s a little slow on Tarmac. Size says 2.4 but I would say its more 2.3..I like it. But not every body’s taste…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

chunky monkey front and rear – they dont drag they grip like shit to a blanket, great on gritstone!

robhughes
    Free Member

Which smorgasbord is suitable for all round use.
    Enduro.
    Trail.
    Trail extreme.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’m running a CM on the front and find it really good on rocky ground. When things turn a bit soft/loamy, it clogs quickly and loses grip.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I just fitted the smogasboards front and rear to my soul. Loads of grip and quite fast for the type of tyre. Dual compounds.

Not my first choice for cycle paths but a great all rounder.

andyrm
    Free Member

I run the Chunky Monkey Enduro up front with an Ikon on the rear – seems the perfect combination with tons of grip up front, but a fast, drifty tyre on the bar for good rear wheel steering.

Highly recommended!

🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I’m running the dual compound folding smorgasbords on my 29er.

They are cheap, they grip great and so far are lasting very well.

Only downside is they are bloomin heavy.

I need to replace my rear NN snakeskin on my 26″ bike and am tempted but the NNs are so light it would be a shame to ruin the weight.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Smorgasbord Enduro front and back on my Ti456, running tubeless on Arch EX rims and they work a treat, I’d run HR front and rear for a while, then some Cedric Gracia Panaracers but I really like these – and as for the price!

I generally ride from the door, so there’s a bit of road work but they’re not too bad in that sense and they give predictable grip off road – dry and wet. My only complaint would be a strange detail where some of the blocks have tiny slices taken out of them. No idea what purpose they serve but they seem to collect little fragments quite happily. That aside – no issues at all at the mo.

Speeder

How about the Reba question – do they fit?

tomaso
    Free Member

The CM trail extreme works a treat up front but not much clearance on my Marzocchi 44. They replaced a minion 3c which was superb and the CM is doing good in comparison.

karnali
    Free Member

cm fits my reba not loads of space but its ok smorgb would leave more room. where are u if in cumbria happy for u to try the tyre for clearance

benman
    Free Member

Been chuffed with my Smorgasbord 29er trail extreme. Probably the most confidence inspiring tyre I’ve ridden (not a massive tyre swapper, but ridden a few).

Oh, and it fits in a 29er Reba just fine.

wwaswas

I’ve got the Smorgasbord 29er Trail Extreme too, been dead impressed with them.

I keep thinking ‘I must get some ‘summer’ tyres that are lighter’ but these seem so good as all rounders in all conditions that I’m loathe to fit a compromise just to save a bit of weight.

andyl
    Free Member

the edge grip on the smorg dual compound is fantastic. No fears of sliding down angled rocky sections unlike my NNs.

andyl
    Free Member

the edge grip on the smorg dual compound is fantastic. No fears of sliding down angled rocky sections unlike my NNs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chunkey Monkey/Smorgasbord – how chunky and fast?’ is closed to new replies.