Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chromecast?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone have one of these? How does it compare to Apple TV?

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s been a few threads on these recently

EDIT, this one probably one of the more useful ones
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/google-chromecast-anyone-using

jambalaya
    Free Member

As @Stoner says, have a search. I’ve posted a bit on it. Exec summary I am all Apple so have Apple TV (x2). At £30 it would be rude not to give Chromecast a try if you are non-Apple and probably worth it even if you are. CHromecast will turn your normal tv into a super smart one

loddrik
    Free Member

Nice one

apj
    Free Member

Doesn’t work well with BT Homehub IME.

Tried _all_ the “fixes” suggested online in forums, and also by BT and Google, but couldn’t get it to work reliably. It’s not even the cheapest way to get iPlayer etc on a non-smart TV: nowTV box (basically a limited Roku) for £15 (including 24 hours Sky Sports pass) will give you that for a lot less hassle. Doesn’t have Netflix as that would conflict with Sky’s offering. If you want Netflix get a Roku.

While it was working, my thoughts on the Chromecast were that it was a clever idea in a geeky way, but I’d rather get a Roku or similar for <£50. Also, it ran incredibly hot: I didn’t realise plastic could get so hot without catching fire or melting!

cranberry
    Free Member

Doesn’t have Netflix

You can “cast” Netflix to a Chromecast though from any Android ( and I would assume any i… ) device. Click a button to select the Chromecast as the output device and press Play and Bob is well acquainted with your aunty.

rocketman
    Free Member

Click a button to select the Chromecast as the output device and press Play

yup works fine

monkeychild
    Free Member

I use mine with Web video caster app on my android phone. It’s bloody ace.

apj
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t clear: I was talking about the nowTV box which doesn’t have Netflix.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I had a wee look at my brothers the other day, it’s not bad, does the usual netflix and the like, you can even getting it to work with showbox if you download the allcast app.

I don’t really need one as I’ve an android box plugged into my tele anyhow, but if I didn’t I probably would get one.

cinnamon_girl

Also, it ran incredibly hot: I didn’t realise plastic could get so hot without catching fire or melting!

Yes, I’ve noticed this and am rather concerned.

CaptainSlow

I bought one to try instead of Apple TV as I’ve not had a great airplay experience.

It works well using the ipad and Netflix, iplayer and you tube. I haven’t used any other apps. In order to play movies in iTunes using Chromecast you’ll have to convert them to a standard movie format and play the using chrome and casting the tab.

It all works well here using a netgear router.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Got one – love it, youtube, iplayer & netflix all support it & you can cast direct from your browser, you can also get apps such as bubble for your android phone that allow you to cast digital files to it, via DLNA.

Use it more than watching regular tv.

The only thing it struggles with is if I’m watching something on vimeo or the red bull tv coverage of the downhill in chrome, make it full screen & cast it via the browser, it eventually gets laggy & blames my network speed. Not being geeky enough I’m unsure if the problem is my laptop, the chromecast or the router.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apple TV price was cut to £79 today.

loddrik
    Free Member

Already have Apple TV but want something without wires for the TV upstairs. Only ever use Apple TV for Netflix anyway. These probably loads of stuff it can do that I haven’t worked out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chromecast?’ is closed to new replies.