Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chromebooks – Virus free?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

We have a consultant on site with a Chromebook that they want to connect to our network. Normally we would insist on AV however it seems that this in not the case with Chromebooks. Anyone have any real life experience to back this up?

cookeaa

Can he not install AVG?
    All my Googley devices have it installed as a matter of course…

wwaswas

It’s still got an operating system and some apps on it. I’d be cautious.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any way to install anything on a chromebook that isn’t from Google. In theory (and Google say this themselves), it’s not something that can get a virus. I’d hate to be the exception to disprove the rule tho. We have separate wireless networks for devices we can’t secure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Taking it back a step, why do they need access?
    File transfer? Internet Access?
    If it’s not policy then just say no and work around it.

allthepies
    Free Member

They could have loaded Linux as an independent OS on it and packed the install full of malware tools 😉

In reality I think you’re OK 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

We likey Chromebooks very much. But pleeeeeeeeeze can we have a dlna client/player pleeeeeeeeeze!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sharkbait I think they’d like you to buy a Chromecast for that bit, no ?

Cougar

Taking it back a step, why do they need access?
    File transfer? Internet Access?
    If it’s not policy then just say no and work around it.

Bingo.

We have an isolated wireless LAN for visiting guests; gets them Internet access and not much else. I wouldn’t want a third party running round on our internal LAN whether they had antivirus or a letter from the Queen.

Coyote
    Free Member

And that’s probably the option I’ll take eventually. However it doesn’t address the immediate requirements.

Cheers for the answers guys!

Cougar

For what it’s worth,

I doubt very much that a Chromebook would be particularly susceptible to viruses, and if it was infected then it’d probably of very limited threat to anything else apart from other Chromebooks.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t install anything on a Chromebook, and neither can anyone else.

It may be possible at some point in the future to do so but it’s pretty obscure. Unlike Windows where there are bags of exploits that allow code to be installed, because the OS is designed to have stuff installed in it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

@sharkbait I think they’d like you to buy a Chromecast for that bit, no ?

Maybe, but that ain’t going to work when I’m not near a TV.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chromebooks – Virus free?’ is closed to new replies.