Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Chrome has nicked my arrows
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

Scroll bar arrows that is – who the flip decided we don’t need them any more?

scotroutes

Same here. Some other little things going on too. Not sure I’m happy 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

The second of the new changes, however, is perhaps even more alarming. In this release of Chrome, even the desktop version of the browse now dispenses with native, standard UI controls like radio buttons and scrollbars. Instead, it uses non-standard UI controls that match the look and feel of Chrome for Metro and thus Chrome OS.

http://winsupersite.com/cloud/chrome-32-vs-windows

LadyGresley
    Free Member

There is an add-on called Rescroller I found to replace arrows – but still not happy either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Page up/Down/End still has scroll bars, can’t say I’ve noticed until I looked across now.

CountZero

Serve ’em right if users ditch Chrome for other browsers; the loss of advertising might encourage the dozy idiots to rethink this dumb idea.

GrahamS

Why do people need scroll bar arrows on a desktop browser?

Don’t you have a wheel on your mouse and/or a keyboard right in front of you?

Do people actually click away at the arrows to scroll?

*confused*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep Graham people are creatures of habit, as I said above I didn’t know they were gone until I looked 🙂

Serve ’em right if users ditch Chrome for other browsers; the loss of advertising might encourage the dozy idiots to rethink this dumb idea.

easily fixed though

There is an add-on called Rescroller I found to replace arrows

a nice open platform with endless scope for customisation 🙂

butcher

At work I use a graphics pen. You can scroll using the pad, but it’s not as easy as using the scroll wheel on on the mouse, so I use the scroll bar on the screen generally.

Slogo
    Free Member

if they have done that. what else have they taken away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    The second of the new changes, however, is perhaps even more alarming. In this release of Chrome, even the desktop version of the browse now dispenses with native, standard UI controls like radio buttons and scrollbars. Instead, it uses non-standard UI controls that match the look and feel of Chrome for Metro and thus Chrome OS.
    http://winsupersite.com/cloud/chrome-32-vs-windows

That link is probably even too whiney and melodramatic for in here!!

Jamie
    Free Member

That link is probably even too whiney and melodramatic for in here!!

Well, what can you expect from Windows users. Drama queens, the lot of ’em.

OUR FREEEEEEEEDOM!

mikey74
    Free Member

Can we file this one under: First World problems, oh won’t someone please think of the children.

Cougar

Who the hell clicks on scroll bar arrows? Why would anyone ever want to do that? I think the last time I did was in Windows 3.1.

Jamie
    Free Member

Who the hell clicks on scroll bar arrows?

The OP?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Slogo – Member

If you didn’t notice do you care? Was it a bad thing?

grum
    Free Member

Who the hell clicks on scroll bar arrows? Why would anyone ever want to do that?

+1

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I use a laptop with a touchpad and no mouse, so yes, the arrows are very useful.

clubber
    Free Member

This is a huge problem

😀

Lady Gresley – can you do two finger scrolling on the touchpad?

GrahamS

Don’t you find using the keys a bit easier that trying to hit tiny arrow buttons with a touchpad?

(ie. PageUp / PageDown / Home / End / Arrow keys?)

ads678

Wow, 2 finger scrolling!! That’s amazing!!

Thank you.

Stoner
    Free Member

and if not two-finger, then one finger on the side of the touchpad.

or if a thinkpad, middle trackpad button and nipple (ooererrr)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oi Clubber… rudy boy 😀

Scroll bar arrows…. how 90’s. TBH I hadn’t noticed!

grum
    Free Member

I use a laptop with a touchpad and no mouse, so yes, the arrows are very useful.

Don’t most laptops have some scrolling mechanism in the touchpad? On a Mac you can scroll with two fingers – on my GF’s old laptop there was a little strip down the side you could scroll with.

I don’t know if I’d bother using the internet if I still had to click on the arrows! There’s not been any in safari for a while now I don’t think.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

My netbook has two finger scrolling, but my old laptop doesn’t. It is about 6 or 7 years old though.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t most laptops have some scrolling mechanism in the touchpad?

+1, even my Mum’s shonky, cheapo Acer laptop had a middle button your could configure to do window scrolling.

Now she’s got a Chromebook with the two finger scrolling thang 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

I don’t use the arrows but I do grab the bar to move to the top or bottom of the page.

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t use the arrows but I do grab the bar to move to the top or bottom of the page.

You could always use…

Shift+Space Bar > Up
    Space Bar > Down

….to go page by page up.

or..

Home & End keys will take you directly to the top and bottom of the page.

(Mac: Command (?) + Arrow Keys)

chambord
    Free Member

Shift+Space Bar > Up
    Space Bar > Down

Ta!

toys19
    Free Member

usual story a new coder has been employed and wants to change for the sake of it. Have you noticed how googlemaps has changed? Bloody annoying having to form new habits.

Jamie
    Free Member

usual story a new coder has been employed and wants to change for the sake of it. Have you noticed how googlemaps has changed? Bloody annoying having to form new habits.

Yup. Some new guy has just started at Google and has the power to implement new features/remove old ones into the stable build of Chrome and Google Apps.

*sniggers*

toys19
    Free Member

yah ok so I may have the position wrong, maybe it’s a new brand manager, but somebody thinks its clever to change stuff for the sake of it. I use expensive software every day and it is a significant business cost to deal with constant “upgrades”. We tend to sit on them and do them every 6 months.

grum
    Free Member

How has google maps changed?

Jamie
    Free Member

How has google maps changed?

They’ve drawn penises on Botswana.

Have a look: http://www.google.co.uk/maps/about/explore/

toys19
    Free Member

grum, do you know I cant find it now, I keep ending up on a google map page with the controls (like satelliete images or not, streetview etc)down the bottom, when normally they are top left. but when I googled it just then it was back to the old style. hmmmmmmm

clubber
    Free Member

LG – as has been suggested, you can usually set up the right hand portion of the pad to allow scrolling – it’ll be under trackpad settings.

BigJohn

It’s probably worth checking the Wellers Auction site to see if the arrows have turned up there.

annebr
    Free Member

I used to use double click to zoom on Google maps, that doesn’t work on the new version.

Cougar

Page up / Page down scroll a page at a time. Up and down cursor keys scroll a line at a time. Home and End will go to the top / bottom of the page.

On the scroll bar, clicking above or below the ‘handle’ (the bit that scrolls) will page up / down. Grabbing the handle by clicking and holding on it will allow you to drag it up and down.

Many trackpads have some sort of scroll functionality, though it may be disabled by default. On mine, the very right-hand edge will scroll if I tap, hold and drag. On my work laptop there’s a ‘middle button’ which puts the trackpoint into scroll mode. Might be worth googling / looking for settings for it in control panel.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Chrome has nicked my arrows’ is closed to new replies.