Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chrome Browser – slowing down my PC's and Phone
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Hi, putting this up here as I seem to be hitting a brick wall with my Chrome browser in the last month or so and hope someone here can break away from an election thread and possibly be able to offer some advice?
    So, I have 4 devices I use to surf the internet, a home laptop (HP i3, 8GB Ram, W7 OS), a work Laptop (Sony Vaio i5, 8GB RAM, W8.1 OS), a Nexus7 tablet and a new Zenfone2 phone.
    All have started displaying the same fault, when I am using Chrome they all start to slow down and get unresponsive very quickly, in fact Norton on my home laptop displays a high memory usage in the 90% area even with no other applications running.
    This appears to occur whether I am logged into my Google account or not.
    I have changed the advanced settings to disable hardware acceleration as per some old 2013 advice found on the web but I cannot find anything else out there, am I missing something?
    I should also add that using Firefox or IE does not have this affect, though I like using Chrome hence why trying to figure out what is wrong.

Cougar

Norton on my home laptop displays a high memory usage

That may well be the source of your problem.

Beyond that, try each device in isolation rather than all at one, may help narrw down what’s going on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mines similar. Chrome Remote Desktop hammers it

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Chrome Remote Desktop hammers it

It does.

Check which extensions you have enabled under “chrome://extensions” [put into address bar]. They’ll be synced across your devices, so this may be the source of the problem.

More info.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Chrome can use loads of memory if you have lots of tabs open with flash and extensions also.

I find Firefox a little easier on the RAM, but saying that right now it’s using around 1.2Gb.

Open up activity monitor/task manager and see how much ram it’s taking, then try disabling flash and extensions, this should free up some mem.

stewartc
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Disabled all extensions but still having this issue, last check was 80% of memory and also 7 identical processes running (chrome32.exe), this is with 3 tabs open.

scotroutes

Ideally, it would use 100% of available memory.

rocketman
    Free Member

Firefox has a similar look-and-feel and although its a bit slower to get started it plays better with other programs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chrome Browser – slowing down my PC's and Phone’ is closed to new replies.