Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chrome book What cant it do.
  • wicki
    Free Member

New company runs all there software on Chrome and uses google apps for everything.

Soo I am thinking of buying a Chrome book as i need a new pc (still on vista) I know it will work with the company stuff but what won’t I be able to do with it?

PS I dont game.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Install software in a nutshell.

Photoshop is the most common missing piece, there are online editors but in my experience they are no match for photoshop.

Printing is also difficult. Your printer must be google cloud print ready.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I tried to download a film to watch on my GF’s one. It did not work.

Ioneonic

I only use my MBP for Sufferfest app now.
    Chromebook gets used in preference all the time otherwise.
    Recommend 4GB RAM.
    I’ve got a Toshiba Chromebook 2, the 4GB version, which is excellent.

spawnofyorkshire

I keep thinking about getting one, but is there anyway to edit videos on one? I’m taking simple go-pro clips not gnarr sick edits

Earl
    Free Member

Most of the current (11.6′) Chromebooks out at the mo I find are slower than my 3-4 year old Acer 720. They seam to be using less powerful chips in search for battery life. The bigger screens ones seam to have a bit more poke.

Do some homework on the processor and listen to the 4GB recommendation above or you will be a bit disappointed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Printing is easy with a relatively modern printer.

You can ‘install’ software from the Chrome web store, but that’s it. Also note that the web store for Chrome browsers on PC is different to the one on Chromebook – the Chromebook one has MORE stuff in it.

If you want to know if you can do something – just google:

https://www.iskysoft.com/video-editing/free-video-editing-software-for-chromebook.html

ribena
    Free Member

I’ve got one.

Just imagine doing everything in Chrome, with a simple file browser as well.

If you want to edit photos/videos or manage a libraries of media that aren’t stored online, you’ll still need a normal PC IMO.

I use mine a lot on the sofa when the OH is busy with Dance Moms/Made in Chelsea/Apprentice etc etc etc…

trailwagger
    Free Member

Peripherals and devices may be problems. I had a chromebook and loved it but in the end went back to a pc just so i could download rides from my Bryton gps.

TheGingerOne

It does not work with Garmin Connect if you wished to use it, but it works fine with a Garmin and Strava for example. You just use the Garmin like a storage device and copy files across using file manager.

More an issue with Garmin being woeful than the Chromebook itself in my opinion.

Ioneonic

…or change settings on the Garmin to save rides to SD card. That way if Garmin not seen (happens on my MBP at times as well), just use the SD

molgrips
    Free Member

More an issue with Garmin being woeful than the Chromebook itself in my opinion.

No, not really.

ChromeOS is a different operating system – so it’s like MacOS, Windows, Linux. They are all different. And you cannot actually ‘install’ software as such on it, which is the difference between it and the others. So Garmin don’t support ChromeOS in the same way they don’t support Linux. It’s not their software that’s poor, it’s just that their company has decided not to support it. Yet.

TheGingerOne

Molgrips, it’s more the point that it isn’t just a website, but software that you have to install. I should have been more explicit – I apologise. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chrome book What cant it do.’ is closed to new replies.