Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Christmas watches – what did you get?
  • superfli
    Free Member

I bought my Steinhart off Chronomaster. He also sells quality 2nd hand watches.

jeffc

@darrimc30 – try timezone.com or rolexforums.com . Be careful

DrJ

I inherited a Rolex similar to the GMT Master above from my father in law who had been a pilot all his life. According to what I read, it was the first Rolex “pilot’s watch” and the result of collaboration between PanAm and Rolex to develop a watch to help with jet lag. The result was (ta daaa!!) the rotating bezel, so the pilot could keep track of the time in his own time zone. Seems laughable now!!

Anyway, I have been wearing the watch for a good few years but now it has started losing so much time that it really is just jewellery – and right how I can’t find the 500 quid to stump up to get it serviced, which is a pity.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

I got a Police “Cyber” watch which my wife chose for me. It’s not somthing I’d have picked for myself but happy that she chose it. Bright orange strap but easy to read and does world time too – handy for working out time back home in UK. Only niggle is it’s only water resistant to 3atm so need to remember what watch I have on when I’m out in the sea!

That’s watch number 6 to the collection (Luminox Seal, Bell and Ross br1, G-shock Mudman 9000, Tissot Auto (my gramps retirement watch) and a Ti Sekonda). Birthday in a couple of months I’ve getting a Lum-Tec but not sure which yet.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

jeffc

@drj, to be honest the gmt complication also adds a 24hr hand which rotates once per 24hrs. It is this, combined with the rotating bezel which allows easy tracking of second timezone. Not the most complicated of complications to be sure but rolex is known for their simple robust designs rather than elegant mechanics.

You should be able to find a good independent watchmaker who can service for a lot less than rolex. Rolex will change so much that it won’t be the same watch and will cost quite a bit. What year is it from?

DrJ

@jeffc – Do you trust an independent to do a proper job, have parts etc? tbh I don’t know when it’s from. My FiL bought it on a trip to Geneva and just wore it always, so it has some sentimental value as well as the other aspects. Yes – I forgot about the 24hr hand thing.

jeffc

I wouldn’t trust any old guy, with a particularly fragile dial and hands but any competent watchmaker can service an old rolex. What part of the country are you in? There’s a list up on rolexforums I can check and see if you’re near a recommended guy.

DrJ

@jeffc- cheers, up Durham way – we mostly make do with coal-fired sundials.

Wally

3 months old and keeping fantastic time – a Yobokies Seiko 5 mod. A tiny 37mm watch for tiny girl wrists. Like a few on here I like a bit of colour and simple dial.

michaelbowden

Anyway, I have been wearing the watch for a good few years but now it has started losing so much time that it really is just jewellery – and right how I can’t find the 500 quid to stump up to get it serviced, which is a pity.

DrJ

I recommend Duncan Potter at Genesis Watchmaking. He worked on both my Grandfathers 1950’s Omega and 1930’s Rolex for me and did a fantastic job. He is Rolex trained and independantly accredited.

Genesis Watchmaking

jeffc

Yes, looks like genesis is your best bet

grantway
    Free Member

Bought this for work
    Bargain £ 93 including postage and packaging
    through these guys. Don’t worry if out of stock as they always re stock quickly.
    Creation Watches

Slogo
    Free Member

got this to go with the old one i got a few years back

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Why are all the Nixons that I see left handed? The bezel is always reversed and the winders are on the wrong sides?

DrJ

michaelbowden and jeffc – thanks, guys!! Can’t beat STW!!

deepreddave
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – there are plenty of smaller independent watchmakers who would service for a decent price in that it would last another 5+ yrs thereafter. Also loads of aftermarket bracelets for £20-£50 which wouldn’t be omega but would be more than adequate in quality and appearance.

CountZero

2unfit2ride, unless you’re looking to sell your watch to a collector, I really can’t see the point in replacing a strap or bracelet with an expensive original, when there are loads of quality straps around for a fraction of the price. I bought one of these http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p20476h330s337-Watch-strap-Drayton-.html
    for my ’70s Yema, the original strap disappeared many years ago, and this one is lovely to wear, and the red stitching exactly matches red detailing on the watch dial. A good, cheap strap from the Watch Band Centre, and a service from a competent independent should see your watch give many more years service.

MrSmith
    Free Member

8O. At that copper coloured Nixon.

prawny

Wally, that is lovely. I quite fancy me one just like that.

What sort of money does yobokies charge? And how do you go about choosing a design? Does he have some kind of catalogue?

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been given the ok to buy a rolex deep sea dweller in 2014
    On the look out for one now 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Harold (yobokies) has an annoying photopic site, but if you mail him what you fancy he lets you know what is in stock.
    I have a similar 5 as the one above but with 45° date window and no orange. Think it was £80-90.

Wally

Mine was £130 due to sapphire glass. Which I think is worth it. You can trust Harold, but be prepared for short to the point emails. For a super cheap auto I was 10 seconds out for new year after 2 months….impressive.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks for the replies directed at me, I’m looking in to getting a new strap, but I can’t find the right one at the moment, well not for less than about £300 anyway 🙁

michaelbowden, I will get back to you, but I want to keep the watch if I can.

Cheers.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Alpha1653 – you got your Elliot Brown? Happy with it?

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Bump – in the hope Alpha sees it….

shredder
    Free Member

I also got the Elliot Brown at Christmas
    Here
    Sadly sold out of the 202-004 but it was in the sale @ £255.00 so well chuffed 😀 Not sure if any of the others would appeal to you.
    But its a stunning watch in the flesh very pleased with it.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Noooooo – gutted! I’m on the verge of getting the 202-004…..

craigxxl
    Free Member

Putting links up like that isn’t helping my will power

Alpha1653

Blisterman – my Canford arrived this morning (pretty impressive considering the guys only started back at work yesterday after Christmas). Unfortunately, I was at work so missed the postie. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it by Thursday. I’ll report back when I’ve got it.

Go on…get one, you know you want to!!

chaser
    Free Member

Those Elliot Brown watches are amazing for the money – apparently still 200m water proof even if you leave the winder out!

paulevans
    Free Member

My father passed away last year and I inherited his Rolex 18c Day Date. The watch was in really nice condition, but I’m sorry to say that I’m not a ‘gold person’. It was a hard decision to make, but in the end I px’d it against the below. I now have a watch that would ordinarily be way beyond my reach, but one that still reminds me of my dad each and every day.

[/url] by -N Paul Evans-[/img]

Alpha1653

Got hold of my Elliot Brown Canford today and I’m very happy with it. Ill let the pictures do the talking. I will say though that in the box was a hand written note addressed to me from Alex (who I had emailed with a few questions) saying that he hopes I like the watch…a simple but nice touch I thought.

Ver clear to read with lovely detailing on the face – it looks like an old vinyl record.

With the original olive green NATO strap.

peajay

Wants an Elliot Brown.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Alpha, that is a handsome timepiece! Thanks for the photos – I’m still struggling to commit – it would help if I could actually try one on.

Alpha1653

@blister: cheers, I’m very happy with it. It’s considerably heavier than my traser but it’s hardly noticeable when on the wrist. I’ve not got particularly large wrists but it fits fine – large but unobtrusive if that makes sense. I think any larger and I’d be having issues!

finishthat
    Free Member

for those on a budget Amazon have a few of these left for 68 quid

Seiko Men’s 5 Automatic Watch SNZH53K1

ElShalimo

Simple, unusual and quite understated

CountZero

That Citizen is a really nice looking watch, interesting take on the lugs, too. Tasty. 😀

ElShalimo

I naively clicked on the Creation Watches link earlier in the thread, had a look around and a week later it’s on my wrist
    How did that happen?
    😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Christmas watches – what did you get?’ is closed to new replies.