Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Christmas Survival Thread (group therapy)
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

We’ve arrived at the in laws. 3 nights then back home. In that time we’ve got to split time between both sets of parents.

The in laws ask us the same questions every time we see them. Then my Dad just tries to organise everything while pretending to be laid back about it.

Our relaxing Christmas holiday starts on the 27th when we get home.

How is everyone else getting on surviving their family Christmas?

fd3chris
    Free Member

One day in scouseland tomorrow then its all my own. I purposely made this year much less stressful as I need a good chill this holiday.

goldfish24

Just departed 2 days with the inlaws to spend two days with my mum and dad. Told the inlaws I’d be leaving at 4, told the parents I’d be leaving at 5. That’s brought me an hour in the pub ON MY OWN.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

The weather is rubbish and mrs gastro is refusing a trip to the pub to give us a couple of hours of peace and quiet.

I’ve saved the most recent Singletrack mag to get me through this evening.

everyone
    Free Member

So far three days at my dads (without my girlfriend), one blazing row (no real loss, it’s probably been brewing for a long while) resulting in me hitting my dad.

Now at my mums with my girlfriend, we’ve decided to do Hanukkah this year so it’s much more relaxed with plenty of food and champagne.

Sort of looking forward to seeing my girlfriends parents since it’ll be considerably more relaxed than with either of my parents!

Annoyingly won’t get any riding in but I’m calling it a rest week!

legend
    Free Member

we’ve decided to do Hanukkah this year so it’s much more relaxed with plenty of food and champagne.

Sounds a lot like christmas….

everyone
    Free Member

Sounds a lot like christmas….

Christmas doesn’t last 8 days though does it? 😉

There’s a lot less pigs in blankets as well!

hammyuk
    Free Member

No.1 & No.2 gone home after being here for a few days.
    Now I don’t need a survival plan as I’ve made sure everyone is giving me a wide berth.
    I don’t do “family”
    Ever

onehundredthidiot

We’re hosting. Sis in law is doing starter we’re doing everything else. If I hear the words bisque or waitress one more time.

Mil has already offered sil a hand as she’s been so busy (on holiday all week) but expects us to pick them up tomorrow.

Boxing day can’t happen soon enough.

Oh we’ve had carols from King college, now its blankety chuffing blank.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been here at the Outlaws for just 3 hours and I’ve fixed the TV from having no signal (dodgy aerial lead snagged between radiator and TV stand, resulting in a bent aerial socket on the back of the TV now) I’ve set up the surround sound (because they’d pulled it all out, in dispair they’d shuved the optical lead into the nearest socket they could find, just so happens to be the now mashed aerial input jack) I’ve reset the bloody AGA to Heat the ferkin radiators to get some heat in the bloody place, from “I thought it was a bit cold, put another jumper on sonny” to actual real life heat now coming out of the rads. They’ve now gone out visiting knowing full well we’ll go round fixing all the stuff they’ve broken and come back to “oh, I didn’t realise xxxx wasn’t working” horsecrap they always spout.

My Mother goes away every Xmas to somewhere hot and remote, damn if I’m not joining her next year.

Stuff this routine I have every time I venture North to the Farm.

It isn’t funny, comedies are funny, this is tedious.

wiggles
    Free Member

FIL is staying over…

He has just gone to pick the mrs up from work and he managed not to moan about immigration/other bigotry in the few hours he was here so going well so far.

wallop

So far three days at my dads (without my girlfriend), one blazing row (no real loss, it’s probably been brewing for a long while) resulting in me hitting my dad.

You hit your own dad?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m going windsurfing…again,like I did on friday.Hopefully with better waves 😐

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Bikebouy, do you not think that if you offer to go with Mum next year, Mum might decide to stay home ?? 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

We’re trying to weather the storm- shit weather is forecast for the next couple of days up here but it’s forecast to be nice on Tuesday, so no riding until then probably. We’ve got a nice walk out planned for tomorrow though- cheese and pickle butties for christmas dinner in Hawthorn Wood! 😀

I remember one year when my ex outlaws stayed for the thick end of a week. A **** week! FFS. Really? A week! ****.

anagallis_arvensis

Dropping my mum at airport in morning she’s off to see her brother then we are going to MIL to join up with SIL..if I dont kill anyone it will be a good day not allowed to come back till boxing day night…

onehundredthidiot

Persuaded Mrs 100th to take bikes van caravan and dogs to middle of nowhere next year. Need to investigate a bbq cooker method for Xmas dinner.

wiggles
    Free Member

Enjoying the peace while he is gone, cooking us all some food and necking a few white russians to make sure I am ready to cope with it once he starts saying stuff that annoys me

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mother is fabulous, she’d be most pleased if I went along, if I went along alone she’d be even happier 😉

scaled
    Free Member

In-laws family Christmas here, very strange. They’ve booked a hotel an hour away, popped in for an hour earlier and are getting a taxi here and back (chapel en le frith to Manchester) tomorrow.

All good today as the mil was sober. Tomorrow could be more testing. I might drink run with the fil again, he’s from the Dominican republic, I don’t tend to keep up.

schmiken

Shit, Nath you ok chap? Doesn’t sound fun…

everyone
    Free Member

You hit your own dad?

He’s always been very cash and self-centric and I really really don’t want myself to turn out like him but I’m aware that I’m very career minded.

There was drink involved (not that that’s an excuse) and I do regret it but on some levels I don’t regret if those bridges get burned.

In happier news, my (usually argumentative) stepdad is being thoroughly pleasant and I’m having a cracking time with my Mum etc!

vickypea
    Free Member

Various members of the family have not been getting on well recently and the rest are mostly stressed.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The MiL has drunk an entire bottle of wine for the second night in a row, and is singing badly…..again

I’ll be hiding out in the home office this evening, and the kitchen tomorrow. Pity I can’t get out for a run tomorrow, as I have for the last two days. On the plus side, them being here is doing wonders for my fitness 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve got a really ratty hormonal bad time of the month Mrs cloudnine to deal with. Went absolutely ballistic when I suggested a quick pre Christmas bike ride this afternoon. Stress of Christmas and hormones.. Oh what fun.

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got to spend tmw with a bunch of bloody veggies. Thankfully I’ve cooked a turkey, a ham, a load of pigs in blankets and bought a deliberately non-veggie cheese board. Also have emergency rations of chorizo and rioja.

seadog101

Im away at work until the 30th. This works brilliantly as my wife does not get on with my parents, and neither do I to some extents, but I can tolerate their presence better.

This give my wife the perfect excuse to say, ‘Nope’ to any suggestions of vists to or from them on Christmas day. She just wants to have a day with the kids to herself and being very mumsy.

senorj

Bikebouy is a keeper . 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

How is everyone else getting on surviving their family Christmas?

I tell them, in no uncertain terms how much I hate Christmas, and not to expect to see me or do anything with me, during said period of festivities!

Yet that STILL doesn’t fully stop them from trying to include me in things… 😈

So in just over 12hrs time, I’m on a plane out of here for a few days, so none of the **** can get hold of me until its all passed!

porter_jamie

Well there’s usually a few more houses on the market in January after all the post xmas divorces..
    We did my parents last weekend and hers Thursday and Friday and we ate out both times. Zero stress. Back home now and not going anywhere until sil comes for ny and then I’m going to remember a panic job in the unit which just can’t wait

mudmonster
    Free Member

All I really want at Xmas is a rest and some time to get a few bike rides in. Going back to ‘home’ tomorrow and meeting family in the pub. Ms Mudmonster is Polish and I know a few family members are brexiteers, hopefully it will all be ok. Bit apprehensive with alcohol involved though.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Run up to the family home (my side) only 40 mins north and then Lakes for boxing day. No riding going on.

Outside of lunch etc I’ll pass some time online updating my site – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk it tends to get a huge number of hits Christmas day as I suppose many paddlers want a little bit of escapism from the 25th’s routine.

postierich
    Free Member

Mboy chin up just keep your christmas hat on to hide your car crash haircut!

wilburt
    Free Member

If you dont like something dont do it.

I’m looking forward to a week or running, zwifting and maybe even an actual bike ride. I’ve also got this vague idea about reminding myself how to play guitar and I would like afew hours to better understand multiple regression analysis which I think will be usuful for work next year.
    Between that lot and one day visting my sister it should be a nice week.

slimjim78
    Free Member

PiLs arrived on 23rd and aren’t planning on leaving till 28th… dear lord..

Am under orders from better half to not touch the wacky Baccy till they’ve left so in an attempt to burn some time I’ve already rearranged my garage and converted one bike to tubeless.

I’ll gorge a kilo or two of pigs in blankets today whilst contemplating not being with my son for xmas nor having spoken to my immediate family for third year in a row.

Fortunately I’ll have my son visit on 27th and I have tickets for footie so my xmas will really begin then.

Now TV have offered Sky Cinema free for two weeks which has already killed around 12hrs, it’s a god send.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

First time at the girlfriends parents for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. They are religious and tea total. I am neither of these things. So far we’ve talked about their dog – a lot. In fairness to them, theyve been very friendly and welcoming and have plied me with booze to pacify me, still been a bit of a struggle though. However soon to set of back to Wales to my folks for boozing, biking, playing music too loudly and swearing with my dad! Happy Christmas one and all

Sandwich

Sofaboy that could have been so much worse for you, she may be a keeper!

vondally
    Free Member

Thankful not invited mother in law nor visiting this year so bonus…..Partner has serious lurgy….She managed to have her annual rant against Xmas it’s futility and absurdness ( this is a hang over from dealing with her mother at Xmas) however even though it is annual event and has happened for the last thirty years it still takes me by surprise…..Plus this year I made comment so yesterday was a very quiet Xmas Eve,…….Daughter hid till we went had a half in the pub.

So far this morning it is more a scene from the living dead,……

shortcut

All OK here.

Coffee in Drop Off Cafe mug, Christmas music on, Wife getting ready, Step Daughter 1 and BF not seen since last night but there is evidence they came home.

MiL and BiL due shortly.

Gin and tonic at the ready.

Should all be uneventful which is good.

Riding tomorrow with Step daughter 2 – and kids Boyfriends before lunch. Apparently one of them is competitive so I will be turning myself inside out on the climbs.

Have fun boys and girls.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I find pretty much everything my mother says or does almost unbearably irritating and she’s here for 3 days 😕 Thankful for the inlaws being here too as they are good company and help dilute things a little. On the bright side it’s fun to see the kids all excited and we’re hoping to get some child minding out of the grandparents while me and mrs B go for a spin on the bikes tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Survival Thread (group therapy)’ is closed to new replies.