Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Christmas – seriously…..
  • frankconway

It means so many things to so many people; if this has been done before, slap me down – or indulge me.

Catholic upbringing; so maybe some ‘catholic guilt’ – a little goes a long way; I care about the marginalised in society; volunteer with homeless charities in an attempt to make a difference.

Cutting through the crap – this a sh*t time of year for the homeless (define that as you see fit); isolated, marginalised, ignored and more and worse.

You can do whatever you want at Christmas and, generally, spend whatever you want on whatever you choose.

There is an ever increasing number of people for whom that doesn’t apply.

I’m a long standing volunteer with Crisis – the national charity for single homeless adults; http://www.crisis.org.uk

This will be my 12th year of volunteering with Crisis at Christmas when I give up my time for others; I’m one of thousands who do this every year.

I’m not asking for your time as that’s really special; I’m not asking that you support Crisis specifically – but that would be good; I’m asking that you do something – anything – for the underprivileged where you live.

Other than that, just be good people – which you are…….

votchy
    Free Member

Well done you, we stopped buying Christmas cards a few years ago and instead donate the money to crisis, in the scheme of things it probably doesn’t do much, but it does more than doing nothing. In this day and age, homelessness and hunger baffle me.

allan23
    Free Member

Nice one, stopped cards years ago and made a small charity donation instead.

Decided last year was the last Christmas for gifts as well, told family and friends I’d be charity donating instead.

Was recommended Crisis by friends who’ve helped out with homeless people in the past so that was this years choice.

I find it distasteful that in the UK we have such an appalling wealth gap that people are homeless and go hungry.

MoreCashThanDash

Good on you for doing rather than just talking.

Our Scout group is part of a wider Christmas card delivery scheme which raises money for smaller local charities every year. It’s raised over £1 million since 1982. This year it’s supporting charities involved with helping families with kids with disabilities, and another offering a safe environment for kids who cannot live with their parents to meet up with them.

Dominates December for me and many other volunteers – final collection today, sorting and local deliveries should finish this weekend. As well as the charities, it raises funds for the 38 Scout groups involved so we can continue to offer opportunities for our young people, and teaches the kids the value and opportunity that community work can offer.

I love it but roll on Monday when I get my life back!

mattbee

I choose not to give Christmas cards because I can’t be bothered with the hassle.
    My charitable giving on the other hand takes place throughout the year in both financial and physical assistance to 4 different charities so I don’t tend to be guilt tripped into a token middle class contribution so I can feel better about myself over the Waitrose turkey.

Kryton57

I was going to man a kitchen for the homeless at Christmas, but I think I’ll abandon the idea and leave the unwashed to themselves because is obviously just a middle class contribution for me to feel better about myself over our Waitrose Turkey.

🙄

tjagain

Instead of having a Christmas lunch I put the cost of one into charities that feed the needy. I haven’t had a lunch on Christmas day since the early 80s

Instead of giving or receiving presents I send money to charities and get others to send money to charities. My family get a receipt for £50 to water aid or similar and a token present from me

We are all happy with this

votchy
    Free Member

I choose not to give Christmas cards because I can’t be bothered with the hassle.
    My charitable giving on the other hand takes place throughout the year in both financial and physical assistance to 4 different charities so I don’t tend to be guilt tripped into a token middle class contribution so I can feel better about myself over the Waitrose turkey.

Good for you, the OP was specific about Christmas, hence the Christmas themed replies. Many of us are also charitable throughout the year but dont need to be spiteful about others and brag about it 🙄

mattbee

Or choose to make a big deal out of doing something once a year rather than carrying that on for the rest of it. Whatever.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t do much, but since my little girls have been old enough to understand that they are privileged, we always make a Christmas Cake from scratch and give it to the local homeless charity.

However this year one of the mum’s from their school is putting on Christmas Dinner for local underprivileged families and people that are alone on the day so I have just given it to her to share round on the day. I would like to pop along for an hour too if I can but we have guests and I am cooking dinner so I can’t promise myself we will just yet.

IHN

Cheers for the reminder OP

Or choose to make a big deal out of doing something once a year rather than carrying that on for the rest of it. Whatever.

And today’s Sanctimonious Tosspot Award goes to…

piha
    Free Member

@FrankConway – are you at the ‘Gate’?

@ Mattbee – It is possible to help out with other organisations during the year you know…. Crisis at “Christmas” – there is a clue in the title, do you need any help understanding it? Being a volunteer myself I can tell you that Crisis at Christmas is far from a token middle class, guilt tripped contribution. 🙄

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Thanks for the timely nudge, frank.

I’ll be donating to Crisis.

From their site:

“When they did find a place to rest, a fifth (20%) of those surveyed reported suffering from deliberate noise pollution such as loud music or recorded bird song and traffic sounds, making it hard or impossible to sleep.

… while 21% reported ‘wetting down’ – having makeshift sleeping areas washed down while they were still in them.”

…FFS.

simmy
    Free Member

I realised how fortunate I was financially a few weeks ago when a guy in front of me in the supermarket had bought a tin of dog food and a packet of peanuts which came to about 90p and he tried to pay with his debit card and it was rejected.

He had no money and honesty thought he had enough in his bank.

Not much of a gesture, but I got them for him, I’m not really a people person but that played on my mind for a few days.

frankconway

@piha: no, i did 7 years of 7 consecutive nights in london but the cost of a week away from home became too much so i’m now involved at another location.

@mattbee: my post was specific to christmas because it’s a time for ‘….peace on earth and goodwill to all men’ – or is it?.
    My commitment to supporting the homeless is year round and, same as you, is both physic and financial
    Crisis is a permanent organisation; it’s not a once a year pop-up charity.
    What’s the problem with using the forum to make an appeal and reference it to personal involvement?

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s just about not being a ****, isn’t it, which is something that can be done all year round! 😀

tjagain

Frank – this sort of post can sound a bit sanctimonious. No nuance in text based conversations

frankconway

TJ – agree my post could be seen as sanctimonious but, equally, could be seen as a nudge towards doing a bit of giving.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is buying the big issue still seen as helping out? Seemed a lot of savvy folk selling it in Birmingham last week.

tjagain

wruightyson – so long as they have a big issue ID badge yes.

teasel
    Free Member

On a slightly lighter note and associated only by the word “Christian” in the OP… my partner received a xmas card from the local church folk with the message –

Hope For A Broken World

Charming…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..or accept that christmas is just a festival of materialism where people are pressured into spending money they don’t have on crap they don’t need which is a slap in the face to those who have a hard enough time for the rest of the year and don’t need their misery compounded in the name of peace love and goodwill to all men, except the poor and the homeless, obviously, because they don’t count in a materialistic me,me,me society

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Christmas – seriously…..’ is closed to new replies.