• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Christmas dinner
  • cudubh

A little bit back we had a thread about people spending Christmas on their own. I am happy to be doing this. I am just not sure what to do for my meal. I like good food and am happy cooking but don’t want to spend the day in the kitchen. My tentative plan is to go out for a run or out on the bike in the morning then lunchtime walk with the dog before eating. So any suggestions? To give some idea we are planning a nice homemade beef Wellington for New Year when my wife will be back.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Be as naughty with the meal as you want to be.

cudubh

That’s not a problem, just looking for some inspiration.

colournoise

My favourite simple but special meal is the best pork chops you can find, simply fried and served with a simple stew of butterbeans (those big Spanish white beans are even better), borlotti beans and haricot beans. 45 minutes tops from start to finish. A decent white Rioja to go with it and you’re all set.

johndoh
    Free Member

If I was by myself I’d get the biggest fillet steak and eat with homemade twice cooked chips and a barrow full of mushrooms. No seasoning other than salt, pepper and a dash of vinegar.

Then eat cheese and port until I was violently sick.

jimdubleyou

Roast for one is a waste of time & effort imo.

+1 for a nice steak & chips, but I would add a bearnaise sauce.

OR go to the pub.

bearnecessities

Smoked paprika sausage & red pepper casserole? Plonk in the oven before dog walk,few beers when back and then just have a few servings throughout day?

northernmatt

Do a massaman curry. Easy peasy and can be left to cook while you exercise fido. Eat with sticky rice done in the microwave.

Or a pot noodle.

garage-dweller

You don’t say what you like but if it were me some kind of simple meat (steak, chops, something like that) sauté or fried potatoes and french beans. Full of flavour and lacking in faff.

cudubh

Some good ideas there. Definitely tend towards the red meat end of the spectrum. Might go with a simple good well hung steak. Might even do some veg, despite being West of Scotland. And maybe a wee zabaglione after. Haven’t made that for ages.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a Jamie Oliver recipe for venison loin with a bunch of good stuff, not that time consuming, will go for one with left overs in his at home book and online. Very excellent

1-shed
    Free Member

Leg of lamb in a casserole dish sitting on whole peeled carrots add 1/2 a bottle of red wine, a few shallots, garlic, chilli flakes and beans of your choice leave to cook slowly. Eat and drink the rest of the wine. Enjoy your day. Cheers 1 shed.

mikey74
    Free Member

Mmmmmm venison (or steak). Yeah, do that, followed by cheesecake (Waitrose do some nice ones, if you don’t want to make it yourself).

Pasta makes a nice accompaniment to steak, if you don’t want to do chips.

Kuco

I’m looking at throwing something in the slow cooker, less faff and washing.

sbob
    Free Member

Go to your local pub, get invited to Christmas dinner, enjoy someone else’s cooking.

maccruiskeen

Roast for one is a waste of time & effort imo.

A roast requires very little effort regardless how many or few people you’re cooking for. Potentially a lot of washing up, but theres very little involved other wise. Cooking for few people means you can just prepare everything in order, bunging it in the oven as you go.

If you look up Jamie Oliver xmas recipes theres a nice roast veg platter, 4 different veg roasted together in different flavours, that plus pots roasted in red wine vinegar and a meat lump of your choice does the trick

Duck is a good roast for one. I’m usually catering for vegetarians at xmas so cook a nice veggie main event, the stuff above and a duck for me. The flavours in the veg are sharp enough not to have to do any backflips with the duck, just roasted fairly plainly with a gravy made from the juices and red current jelly.

mattbee

Lamb, veg, wine, stock & slow cooker.
    Get driven mad with hunger all day by the smell so head out on bike for a few hours to avoid this.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Pheasant or Guinea Fowl, roasted in a bath of red wine.

spooked
    Free Member

Im doing a BBQ. Just because I love BBQ’s 🙂 People also think your mad. Which is another plus point.

Drac

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Christmas dinner’ is closed to new replies.