Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Christmas "bottles/gifts" at work. Do you get many??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Following on from the teacher/present thread do you get many in your line of work?
    We’ve had a busy year since April and will be till May next year, therefore I expect to get a few “bottles” from the odd subby.

ebygomm
    Free Member

None, not allowed to accept anyway (public sector)

aP
    Free Member

No, those days have gone in construction.

shifter
    Free Member

We get loads but they’re divvied up by raffle so everyone gets something.

jota180
    Free Member

I get some, 1 or 2 last year
    I mainly get invites to sporting stuff though throughout the year rather than Christmas.
    This year cricket, loads of football [been to none of it], horse racing, motor racing etc.

bren2709

Front office moaners get loads but these are never shared out and we are not talking the odd bottle!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s better to give than to receive – when you run your own business.

I’ll be handing a few out. What do people like getting the most? A very nice bottle of wine seems a better bet than spirits, since the recipient might not like whisky/brandy/whatever.

Bregante

I don’t get gifts (not allowed) but I have once received a card from a lad doing a 25 stretch. I put that up on my office wall every crimbo.

brakes
    Free Member

I got a chocolate advent calendar from SEGA.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I get stuff but its a nightmare really – office politics and all. One year a c£200 crate of wine went missing in the internal post. Had to tell the guy who sent we had it as it would have been to embarrassing to admit some scrote had nicked it!

uwe-r
    Free Member

….

the-muffin-man

None at all (print trade) – and we never even see reps now! A few years ago you used to see a couple of reps every week, but they’ve been replaced with office based account managers.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Used to get a few bits & pieces and usually a couple of bottles of nice wine. Those days have now gone!

jota180
    Free Member

What do people like getting the most?

Depends I suppose who the customer is.
    My brother runs a business selling stuff into car and motorbike garages, he dishes out cheap cases of Stella and Fosters which seems to go well.
    Personally, I don’t like spirits or wine 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

We tend to get hampers which are ok but more booze less stuff is a winning formula. Fortnum and mason pickled onions are nothing special but the wine is always great.

http://www.fortnumandmason.com/p-7128-cellarmaster-wine-hampers-corporate-wine-gifts.aspx

Basil

A lot less than a few years ago. All goes into a raffle. Except the robbing bstadssss in the Repro dept who arrange car park drop offs

josh1982
    Free Member

I’m a rep and wouldn’t expect anything. My customers all expect a little something, however the company don’t offer anything I would normally buy some mince pies for in meetings or a bottle of wine for a chosen few.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ill post back with the list! If I get owt…

PMK2060

We have a **** in our office who demands that suppliers bring in gifts at Christmas. He is close pals with the M.D. so it gets overlooked.

skink2020

I’ve trained my customers over the past 15 years in buying gifts for me..
    Red wine
    Single malt. Peatier/peatyer the better.
    I get a good 10 bottles of wine and around 3 or 4 malts.
    A newbie might buy me a bottle of white or a blend, but i soon educate them.
    I feel i earn every bottle.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

We get loads we normally drink it at lunch time makes the slow afternoons a bit more interesting

footflaps

We get a few from suppliers – they all get raffled off for charity. My FIL, who was in construction, got loads from all his suppliers and has a whole cellar full of bottle of brandy / scotch from them all.

KonaTC

None, not allowed to accept anyway (public sector)

+1

wrightyson
    Free Member

I once got what I thought was a twenty quid note, a week before Christmas off the plastering contractor, it turned out to be 5. I really didn’t know why he’d just bunged me a hundred quid? I spent it on the kids because I felt strangely guilty. He reckoned I’d helped him out enough through the job on site. Made me feel uneasy to be fair!

singletrackmind

Yes , We do get half a dozen bottles of red wine . From a really nice chap who is basicaly a subby for us, works weekends. Appreciates the effort we go to to make his life easier ( and earn him more money )
    Boss just bungs a load of dosh our way ( enough for a new bike this year me thinks )
    Dont drink Whisky and beer is not appreciated by then.

willard

No. Nothing.

The last time I had a Christmas Bonus was back in ’98, possibly ’99. No, it was ’98. That’s not counting the years I worked for myself, where a Christmas bonus was a night out on the boss (me).

john_drummer
    Free Member

nothing here. £20 in high street vouchers from the company, given out equally to everyone that’s been there over a year, pro-rata for those who have been here less than a year.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Christmas "bottles/gifts" at work. Do you get many??’ is closed to new replies.