Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,325 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Digby

that snow on the Hurricane looks really good, what did you use?

Tamiya Diorama texture paint -‘Powder Snow Effect’ to provide a base.
    Sprinkled with ‘Deluxe Materials – Scenic Snow Kit’

Thanks for the ‘Dichloromethane’ tip – I’ll have a look at that!

@BenjiM – impressive cockpit detailing!

spursn17
    Free Member

BenjiM – impressive cockpit detailing!

+1 very nice!

john_drummer
    Free Member

That Thunderbolt is gorgeous, very impressed

Digby

Airfix 1/72 EE Lightening

rockhopper70

I’ve decided that I aren’t going to post pictures of my Vulcan on here……

wool

Umm might leave the Lightning in the box, I know what the standard is and what is achievable. Bit of disparity me thinks.

ChrisL

rockhopper70 – Member

The Airfix Vulcan kit is fairly old and a bit of a challenge. I built one for my dad a few years ago and feel for you…

Under the paint there’s a lot of filler.

Harry_the_Spider

Behave. Get it out and have a go! I’ve had a great time making a mess recently.

Digby

Get it out and have a go! I’ve had a great time making a mess recently

Absolutely!! +1

@ChrisL – Nice Vulcan! I visited the one at Robin Hood Airport recently and your is very faithful indeed. Neat tile grouting! 😉

spursn17
    Free Member

Behave yourself, put it on here! 😀

Nobody starts doing museum quality models, the next one is always a bit better than the last. I don’t do cars as I’m not confident doing shiny stuff.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cars are relatively easy compared with say aircraft – the body is often a single moulding which just needs spraying up before you attach anything to it. Rattle cans are the easiest way to do modern cars. Two-tone designs such as 50s Americana (i have done a 57 Chevy Bel-air and a 58 Chevy Impala which I’ll post up later) are more tricky but no more so than doing a camouflage paint job.

Now helicopters, there’s a different beast…

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a Severn Class Lifeboat that I’m building up the courage to have a go at. Lots of curves and big expanses of orange paint.

stumpy01

I keep looking at getting a model to do. I fancied doing a Tamiya Mini Cooper a while back (the original Mini), but by the time I’d priced up all the paints for the stupid things like indicator orange, brake light red etc. silver for the chrome surround bits etc. it was going to cost me around £40….

Maybe I’ll get a plane this year & not worry too much about getting every colour to do it ‘properly’.

My first ever model was a Handley Page Victor.
    The best one I did was a Sea Harrier that my Dad & I spent ages over. It was hanging in my bedroom until my brother got bored doing his a-level revision & knocked it down throwing balls of paper at it. Of course ‘it just fell down…..’

Digby

Maybe I’ll get a plane this year & not worry too much about getting every colour to do it ‘properly’.

I think the Airfix starter kits (paint & glue included) are very good for this – combined with the ‘Humbrol Tool kit’ and you’re away! You don’t have to worry about being too precise and historically accurate with every colour etc. As you start to do more kits, those skills from 35+ years ago start to return and you can add more paints and tools etc as you go along …

buckster
    Free Member

Some wonderful models on here gents, great effort and very envious of some of the painting skills. I made a Tamiya RC car this Xmas which was fun. Otherwise I do enjoy the old muscle cars

john_drummer
    Free Member

’57 Chevrolet Bel-Air Coupe

’58 Chevrolet Impala

’65 Ford Mustang Fastback

Digby

@john_drummer – fantastic! Really like those – especially the ’58 Chevrolet Impala. That two tone paint job looks tremendous! 8)

btw – off topic but did you go and see N.M.E. @ the Brudenell SC last November?

john_drummer
    Free Member

NME? NMA ? No, gave that a miss. Seen them that many times I can afford to miss a tour now & again

The seats on the Impala were a PITA to get the stripes “just so”. I used a lot of reference photos to get that tight.
    The chrome strips down the sides were done in Bare Metal Foil, which I also used for the chrome trim round the windows on the Bel Air & the Mustang

Paint Technique? Whole body done in white (Tamiya) then the bits I wanted to keep white, masked off with Humbrol Maskol, using the side rubbing strips as the demarcation lines. Bare Metal Foil over the top hides the joints between blue & white. The blue was a mix of Tamiya & Revell acrylics until I got it just right. Needed to make a fair bit up in one go just to be sure I had enough; there was some waste

Digby

no NME – ‘Near Meth Experience’ i.e. The Sisters. They played a benefit gig for Simon D from The March Violets (former Nurse to the Doktor).

I was reading about ‘bare metal foil’ recently so was thinking of picking some up. You’ve just convinced me!

I’ve had mixed results with Maskol sometimes – I found it can leave a ragged edge if there is no defined ‘demarcation. I’ve been using Tamiya’s 2mm ‘Masking Tape for Curves’ recently and I’m quite pleased with it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

No i didn’t know about that gig

Digby

It was a good gig! The Membranes supported and U-U-U-Utah Saints DJ’d

Anyway … back to scale models:

Gloster:

You only get an Oooh with a Typhoon ..

Harry_the_Spider

^ Nice Typhoon.

Nicer than mine!

sparkyrhino

Buckster any good sources recomendations for the street rod/hot rod style kits? Gasser looks great

john_drummer
    Free Member

The Impala above could be made as Standard, Hot Rod or Stock Car. I opted for Standard.

Try http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk

stevied
    Free Member

This is all making me want to go buy a model kit….
    Some great looking models up there 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

Finally finished this yesterday apart from the two radio aerials that are on the turret, they’ll be done when I fit it to a base.

spursn17
    Free Member

I reckon the driver looks like Sean Kelly! 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Just unpacked my Revell HE-111. It doesn’t include any aircrew, which is a bit shit IMHO.

Has anyone got any spare seated pilots that they want to sell?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Revell hardly ever supply any aircrew 🙁

Build it with the undercarriage down, then it doesn’t matter that there’s no crew.
    But if you’re desperate for aircrew, look on http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk > plastic model kits > detailing sets > aircraft > your scale. Might give you some other ideas too 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nice Firefly btw spursn17

Harry_the_Spider

Build it with the undercarriage down

Got it to hang from my lad’s ceiling with a Hurricane chasing it.

I may get a set of these and repaint them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBY-MASTER-1-72-World-War-II-US-Pilot-Figures-Set-HP0001-/361047228776?hash=item5410178168

Not happy with Revell.

tthew

I read the thread on the modeling site about your Firefly build spursn17, very impressive. Not sure the bloke at the front taking a selfie is historically accurate, and surely he should face the other way to get the tank in the background?. 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member
    Digby

A mug of tea really ‘ties’ a scene together doesn’t it? 😉

Very nice Firefly!

FB-ATB

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Got it to hang from my lad’s ceiling with a Hurricane chasing it.

Put some damage on the HE and the crew have bailed out after being attacked by the Hurricane.

Harry_the_Spider

For the price I paid for it I’m tempted to get another and do a crash diorama.

The Firefly is very nice.

spursn17
    Free Member

Not sure the bloke at the front taking a selfie is historically accurate

😀 didn’t even think of that but it does look like he’s taking a selfie!
    I had the choice of a pistol holster or a bayonet to put in his hand, I got it wrong.

Harry_the_Spider

2mm masking tape is excellent stuff! I’ll post up pictures of my Spitfires when they are done, but they are a step up from the Typhoon that I did at Christmas.

I’ve also spent £8 on little men for the Heinkel and a fiver on Swastikas. 😀

Digby

2mm masking tape is excellent stuff!

Yes, It’s good isn’t it?

Prepare yourself to amass drawers full of tools, bits, bobs and fluids over the next few months! 😉

My top revelations have been:

Weathering powders mixed with Decalfix
    Weathering powders dabbed onto wet matt varnish
    ‘Goo Gone’ for shifting sticky residue from canopies etc
    Mr Dissolved Putty – great for filling in fine gaps
    Swann Morton Blades – esp No 11
    Oil paints for figure faces
    Flory Models – Dark Dirt Weathering Wash

Look forward to seeing the Spitfire pictures

BenjiM

Flory Models – Dark Dirt Weathering Wash

I’ve been using Phils stuff for years. Check out his skinny sanders too. they’re ace!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,325 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.