Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,325 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nice.  Lovely looking missile truck.

Klunk
    Free Member

lindybeige rant

Digby

Tomcat looks like this

Looking very good indeed HtS!

Not had a great deal of time to do much modelling myself recently as I’ve had a busy winter season. Hoping to pick it up again soon.

Harry_the_Spider

Did a bit more…

Northwind

I like that rant but y’know, maybe more model shops selling struts and beams and L sections and that would still be open if it wasn’t so hilariously expensive… I was looking at some of this stuff in Wonderland the other day just out of old times sake from when I used to do wargames terrain and it’s still as much of a pisstake as it was then, it’d be cheaper to build an actual building. I say that as a (former) games workshop person so if I say a bit of plastic is too damn expensive, I am qualified.

Harry_the_Spider

I agree. At the other end of the spectrum that Tomcat was twelve quid.

Cletus

Nice – will be interested to see what decals you apply. Tomcats had some great tail art – one of my favs below.

nickc

my inner nerd calls VF84. Or VF2

Always liked the Sundowners (VF111)

Image result for tomcat paint schemes

Harry_the_Spider

This is a Ghost Rider.

Harry_the_Spider

Tomcat

Harry_the_Spider

Next up…

An ancient Airfix RA 5C Vigilante. The kit dates back to 1971, so there is a metric butt-load of filling to do.

Here it is with the Tom Cat to get an idea of the size of it.

…and with a Zero. There are only 19 years between the first flights of these two.

stumpy01

Loving the Tomcat!! Missed it when you first posted the pics up.

ChrisL

Nice Tomcat! I really like the look of the Vigilante, I have a Trumpeter one stashed away somewhere.

I am every so slowly inching towards the completion of the kit I’m working on and if I ever get it done I’ll finally have something else to contribute to the thread. I’m onto decalling now so nearly done but some of the settling solutions appear to be attacking the varnish, so it’ll depend on how that works out.

Harry_the_Spider

The Vigilante is insane!

First flew in 1958 (60 years ago!!!)

Fly by wire control

Mach 2.1

Nuclear bombs fired backwards from a pod between the engines

Could operate off an aircraft carrier

…shame it didn’t work very well!

ChrisL

It seemed to have a decent second life as a reconnaissance aircraft, plus it bears a passing resemblance to TSR.2, which is a good thing too. 🙂

Though even after it abandoned its attack aircraft role the Vigilante’s rear exit bomb bay continued to cause problems. It was used to contain fuel tanks but they sometimes escaped out of the back during catapult take offs and caused deck fires!

Harry_the_Spider

Something Fast.

Harry_the_Spider

threesome

Harry_the_Spider

After the sad passing of Geoff Wellum the other week I had a root around in my stash of kits (the n+1 principle in action) and found a 92 Squadron Mk1a Spitfire from 1940/41.

This is QJ B, Geoffrey flew QJ K.

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone going to the Keighley model show tomorrow?

johndrummer
    Free Member

What/where/when? Keighley is on my doorstep

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

Wot he said.

It looks like it has potential to be a good one. Phil Flory himself has a trade stand there!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235042123-new-show-ipms-keighley-w-yorkshire-23-sep-2018/&tab=comments#comment-3144156

I’ll be there when it opens with Mini Me.

Harry_the_Spider

Good show.

Kids haemorrhaged a fiver of mine on the tombola and won a box of Quality Street and book on Trench Warfare. Just what every 8 year old girl wants!

I got some bits off Flory’s stall and a B-17 and Harrier GR9 for £18.

On the way home we popped into Bury Baths and found the coat that my lad had left under a seat on the balcony yesterday.

So that makes me 4-0 up for the day.

nostrils
    Free Member

Nice one, would love to have a crack at a B17. Weather was poor yesterday so I stayed in and made the airfix 1/72 Mustang IV, very nice fit no gaps at all and only £5 to boot!

Harry_the_Spider

The B17 is a massive amount of kit for the tenner that I paid for it! It looks to be ex Modelzone stock in a very slightly damaged box. Ten Quid Though!

Wonderland are doing it for £15 +p&p IIRC and I suspect that Jadlam will have them at a reasonable price.

Mine will be a “Winter Build” along with the Lancaster, Sea Vixen, F15E, F18, Viggen, Sea King, Lightning FA2 and all of the others that I’ve got in various boxes.

nostrils
    Free Member

Will probably stick to single engine 1/72 models because of space. The last heavy I attempted to build was the Revell Lanc, very poor fit between engine nacelles and wing lead to me relegating it to use as a paint mule.

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… my Lanc is a Revell BIII Dambuster. Good job I like a bit of filling!

Meanwhile.

nostrils
    Free Member

Thanks Harry, that’s my evening’s viewing sorted! Re the Revell Lanc, although I don’t have the instructions anymore, I believe that the nacelles are handed whereas I thought they were identical assemblies (obviously could tell the difference between inboard and outboard nacelles). I reckon I put the starboard nacelles on the the port wing and vice versa leading to big gaps 🙁

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’ve done the Revell Dambuster Lanc. All good as far as I remember

Harry_the_Spider

Jolly good. Got any photos?

The Lanc will look good with my B17 (a “Memphis Belle” green one). However, first I need to find somewhere to store them upon completion.

I’ve got a Hasegawa F8 Crusader on the go at the moment. Will post pictures when it has stopped looking like a ball of filler.

Harry_the_Spider

Now available for less than the price of 4 pints and a bag of jalapeno pretzels.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Now available for less than the price of 4 pints and a bag of jalapeno pretzels.

4 pints of what? Sam Smiths or some artisan/craft shite?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ordered.

No IDEA! when it’ll get built, I’ve got a Hasegawa P3C Orion, a Monogram A1H Skyraider, a Hasegawa F1 Tornado & a 144th scale Herc Gunship all on the go. I started the Orion about 20 years ago……

I also have around 70 other unstarted kits in the loft.

I love building but hate painting. 🙄

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I bet that Victor is going to take a fair amount of sanding and filler.

Harry_the_Spider

Good man! I prefer the painting to the building. Maybe we could do a deal.

I’ve actually got two of them so far this week. One I bought and one for inadvertently starting a squabble on Britmodeller then responding in typical STW fashion, by taking the piss and posting silly pictures. One of the moderators got in touch and has sent me another one with a load of resin and PE for the price of postage and a small donation to their server fund.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044816-revell-victor-just-how-bad-is-it/&

Harry_the_Spider

I bet that Victor is going to take a fair amount of sanding and filler.

I thought so too, but a quick “dry fit” has the fuselage halves going together quite nicely.

The new Airfix version has kicked the arse out of the value of the old Revell one. Sure, it won’t be as good, but it looks a lot better than the £15 that I paid for it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

But it’s a Victor!  So will look good regardless 🙂

Proper Flash Gordon plane.

CountZero

Worth posting again on here, this is the nose art on a Victor parked at Bruntingthorpe, ex-Desert Storm, I believe.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m building Maid Marian.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,325 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.