• This topic has 125 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kja78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Christian knowledge regarding Easter sought.
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I understand most of what Easter is about, but…

If Christ was crucified on a Friday, in order that He might die and be entombed before the Jewish Saturday Sabbath; and is supposed to have spent three days in the tomb before being resurrected, why is it the event celebrated on Easter Sunday – two days after Good Friday – rather than Easter Monday?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Friday – day one
    Saturday – day two
    Sunday – day three, the third day.

I guess.

codybrennan
    Free Member

“On the third day, he rose again, in accordance with the scriptures”.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

So where does Easter Monday fit in to this?

chewkw
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

So where does Easter Monday fit in to this

It’s a public/bank holiday … 😛

codybrennan
    Free Member

IIRC, Monday its a legacy of the fact that the Catholic Church is a spin off of the original Christian church, who celebrated Monday as a day of renewal.

codybrennan
    Free Member

(2 years in a seminary.)

nealglover
    Free Member

So where does Easter Monday fit in to this?

I don’t think it does really, other than in the way that you get an extra bank holiday on Monday if New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday.
    But as Easter Day is always on a Sunday, you get Monday as a bank holiday.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a pagan festival that the church couldn’t stamp out, so they rebranded it. Don’t expect any logic, you won’t find any.

kelvin

Everyone used to have to work… there were no Bank Holidays, so Easter was celebrated on the only day off, Sunday, which was traditionally wasted thinking god for your horrible life every week anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO the poor maths is not the biggest problem with this story

codybrennan
    Free Member

Here you go- my memory isn’t as bad as I thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s a pagan festival that the church couldn’t stamp out

I’m fairly sure they did stamp it out. Where do you live?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Summerisle?

nickc

It’s a pagan festival that the church couldn’t stamp out

This, because to get to the date, you have to work out the first Sunday after the vernal equinox full moon, which doesn’t at all sound like a pagan festival. No, no not at all… 🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That would be an ecumenical matter.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t forget about the star over Bethlehem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Please say Easter Island

5thElefant
    Free Member

They did a piss poor job.

It’s based in the cycle of the moon. Pagan.
    Bunnies. Pagan symbolism.
    Eggs. Pagan symbolism.
    Hot cross buns. Pagan again.
    There isn’t anything even vaguely Christian in easter.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the pagans are celebrating today? Wicked, where can I see these celebrations?

cloudnine
    Free Member

This explains it a bit more clearly..

Jesus died to give us two bank holidays

5thElefant
    Free Member

Everywhere. Not that they care it was Pagan, it’s just chocolate day now. Nothing more pagan than stuffing your face.

dudeofdoom

BTW They must have had really good suntan oil in his times cos he always looks a bit pasty in the paintings…

I it’s a pity I didn’t notice this thread earlier as they were knocking on the door a while ago…. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

IMHO the poor maths is not the biggest problem with this story

Ha ha excellent post.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

HTH.

slowoldman

So the pagans are celebrating today? Wicked, where can I see these celebrations

I went out for a nice walk and I’m now drinking a nice glass of wine waiting for the nice chicken to finish roasting. Whereupon I shall eat it and wash it down with several more nice glasses.

Nice.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you didn’t see any pagan celebrations slowman ….. not even dodgy looking people in a circle ? 🙁

Where did you go for your nice walk ?

RustySpanner

ernie_lynch – Member
    So the pagans are celebrating today? Wicked, where can I see these celebrations?

You’re welcome round to our’s anytime.

slowoldman – Member
    Nice.

We had beef.
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I celebrated Easter with a Pagan [ wiccan] at a Jewish familyies house [ passover Sedan]

Beat that one STW

PS its actually all true

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a pagan festival …etc etc.

What!? How come nobody ever mentioned this before! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

We were all way too busy discussing Clarkson and lane changing

CountZero

And why, exactly, is a supposedly Christian ‘festival’ named after Eostra, a pagan goddess, who’s earthly avatar is the hare, later changed to the rabbit, because it’s ‘safer’ than the rather spooky hare.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

why, exactly, is a supposedly Christian ‘festival’ named after Eostra, a pagan goddess

Because of the English monk Bede apparently.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-pagan-goddess-behind-the-holiday-of-easter/

Why do only English speakers celebrate “Easter”? Most other peoples of the world call the holiday observed by Christians this Sunday by some variant of the word “Pascha.”

In almost every other international language, the holiday is called by some permutation of “Pesach,” the Hebrew word for the Passover holiday/sacrifice.

English arrogance suggests that an international religious feast celebrated across the globe was specially created to suit the English language, the existing religion, and local English seasons.

enfht
    Free Member

Bitter, critical and self-righteous. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

English arrogance. Etc etc…..

WGAS what it’s called, its a four day weekend!

If you don’t like it, go to work in protest?

Northwind

What’s causing the confusion, is that in Jesus’s time Tuesday and Thursday came between Friday and Saturday

Junkyard
    Free Member

Enough about you now what are your views on the topic 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Not just English that calls it Easter – German is Ostern.

slackalice
    Free Member

English arrogance suggests that an international religious feast celebrated across the globe was specially created

Yay! Engurland, Engurland. And Deutschland, Deutschland.

Go us.

JulianA
    Free Member

Good post, thank you OP. This thread has made a couple of things clearer.

I must admit that I have wondered about the three days and three nights part of it – although it doesn’t really matter about the timescale, I guess. The message and the meaning is the most important thing and the Crucifiction and our redemption is the vital thing.

I was very upset by Woppit’s thread title and I’m glad that there is another thread on here which is much more meaningful.

There are some pagan festivals that have been incorporated into the Christian calendar – Yuletide / Christmas, Eostre / Easter but this just makes it more interesting. God is the same God whatever we call him but we all worship in different ways and maybe at different times. It matters not, Christian or Islam or Buddhist or something else. God is God.

There is evidence of Bibilical events in history – I think it was Josephus who wrote about Christ in his writings – and there is evidence of the Flood in C Leonard Woolley’s book about his excavations in Ur of the Chaldees. (Fantastic book by the way).

Julian – not a very good Christian but would like to be a better one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Christian knowledge regarding Easter sought.’ is closed to new replies.