Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Christchurch NZ
  • Marin
    Free Member

Whilst I’m here anyone based in Christchurch? Been offered a visa but would like to know on availability of accommodation and general state of the city. Was there 2 weeks after the main earthquake and it was very bad all round. Any tradies out there working who go on here?

NZCol

I work there every week pretty much.
    Accomdation is very tight as you would expect with several 10’s of thousands of homes red stickered and thus demolished. Large tracts of what was residential land can no longer be built on. Accomodation is generally moving out of town. Of course you can find rentals etc but cometition is fierce and rents are high.
    General state of the city. There is no city. It is a large collection of empty spaces on the plus side it is very easy to park. Its just there is nothing to do there. Seriously. My colleagues there are in what would appear to be a state of mild PTSD. I personally find it quite upsetting to be there as I used to live there and just commend all those that have dug in, as its home, and made the best of it. In terms of work there is plenty of construction work but I know it is fiercely competitive. Depends what you do etc. Feel free to drop me a mail colin at slater dot net dot nz.
    Have a look at this ChCh Aerial photos 2013

Marin
    Free Member

Thanks col. It was pretty bad when I was there. Had lived there for about a year in 2000 and loved it. Very sad to see it virtually demolished. Spoke to a lot of locals and amazing spirit and get on attitude in what I imagine war zones look like. Was looking at work and weekend bike and climb opportunities really I’ll drop you a line. Thanks for the reply.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

I’ll post this here anyway. While the city itself is munted the damage is reasonably confined, 5km either way you would never know. And of course ChCh was always only good because it was near lotrs of really good outdoor areas !

Marmoset
    Free Member

That’s pretty sad to see the city like that. There does seem to be a growing number of kiwis in Oz and I’ve heard from friends that quite a lot of kiwis they know will probably never go back….

Kahurangi

*waves* I’m living in ChCh and having a blast. I’m a mechanical engineer but not involved with the rebuild.

Sure, there’s no real city centre but I didn’t come here to spend time in shopping malls. It is missing it’s cultural heart though, which is more of a loss.

Accommodation is expensive, furnished accommodation ridiculously so. We’re paying $380 p/w for an ok-ish 3-bed place. Our in-laws are paying that (at a pre-quake rate as they’re good tenants) for a much nicer, slightly bigger place.

stevious is also here though I think him and his wife are going back to the UK in August.

There does seem to be a growing number of kiwis in Oz and I’ve heard from friends that quite a lot of kiwis they know will probably never go back….

every year Kiwis move to Oz and the intelligence of both countries rises as a result 😉

Feel free to email me, facebook me and have a look through the photos I regularly taunt my relatives and friends with.

Kahurangi

5km either way you would never know

Except Sumner, Redcliffs and the cracks in house walls throughout the area. There are quite a number of redzoned plots around but it’s not as concentrated as the swathes of older buildings in the CBD.

Marin
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Would be coming over as a painter, lived outside city last time so thats O.K. Was out near New Brighton and spent most weekends away some where. Been over 3 times so kind of know what the country is like. I guess my main concern is can you have a life during your working week. Dont fancy bunking down in a backpackers style place for months on end or feel like Im constantly in a disaster zone. Im sure housing is tight and dearer than normal but as long as it is available.
    You’re pictures look good Jon.

chojin
    Free Member

I was in Christchuch on the day before the quake. It was only dumb luck that we headed north to Hanmer a couple of days early, having planned to stay in ChCh centre :/

Could still feel it quite badly where we ended up over 90 miles away!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Christchurch NZ’ is closed to new replies.