Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Chris King single speed non disc hub – the only?
  • monkeytrousers
    Free Member

Is this the only 135mm non-disc single speed freehub I can buy to build a dishless wheel? Really? No wonder they cost so much.

tollah
    Free Member

I think Phil Wood may do one as do White Ind?

Ringo
    Free Member

What tollah says and Paul components do then aswell I think

nerd
    Free Member

Goldtech track hub is available with a 135mm axle.

monkeytrousers
    Free Member

Phil Wood, WI, Paul and Goldtec (track) are not freewheel hubs…there is a Goldtech SS but is disc only. Looks like I will have to shell out then!

monkeytrousers
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Hope SS comes as a bolt-on as well as QR?

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve only ever seen the hope one supplied as bolt in rather than qr

Get one with a disk mount then bolt on a velosolo fixed cog for a flipflop wheel 😉

STATO
    Free Member

…there is a Goldtech SS but is disc only. Looks like I will have to shell out then!

Ha-ha, hilarious. You do realise having a disc mount on the hub wont stop you running it with a v-brake? or are you that much of a tart?

You could actually ring BETD/Goldtech up and ask them to do you one without the disc mount, they would probably do it for you (just whizz it off in a lathe), they are quite good like that.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve only ever seen the hope one supplied as bolt in rather than qr

Hope Pro2 SS hub uses the same replaceable end caps as the normal Pro2, so you just buy the QR end caps and pop them on in place of the bolt-on caps (have one like this on my 29er)

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a qr axle and end caps from a rear pro2 available if you go that way 😉

STATO
    Free Member

I have an axle and end caps from a rear pro2 available if you go that way

You dont replace the axle (the Pro2-SS is a specific axle) just swap the endcaps.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I have the end caps then 🙄

STATO
    Free Member

sorry firestarter, not trying to do you out of a sale, just didnt want anyone to get confused about what was needed to convert the hub.

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh no it was my mistake mate I didn’t realise about the axle

firestarter
    Free Member

Seems odd tho tbh as the one I removed from mine was hollow and the one I replaced was threaded for the bolt in to do it up. I wouldn’t have thought it was a good idea to run a qr thru a threaded axle . Unless its totally different .(which it prob is lol)

eshershore
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 SS hub uses the same replaceable end caps as the normal Pro2, so you just buy the QR end caps and pop them on in place of the bolt-on caps (have one like this on my 29er)

sorry, the ProII SS hub uses a different axle and end caps to the normal QR 10mm hub

the SS axle is “blanked” at the ends instead of having axle stubs for dropouts, and has a much larger diameter threading for the screw-in bolts, the frame dropouts sit on these bolts directly 😉

STATO
    Free Member

sorry, the ProII SS hub uses a different axle and end caps to the normal QR 10mm hub
    the SS axle is “blanked” at the ends instead of having axle stubs for dropouts, and has a much larger diameter threading for the screw-in bolts, the frame dropouts sit on these bolts directly

Let’s try this again..

Hope Pro2 SS hub uses the same replaceable end caps as the normal Pro2, so you just buy the QR end caps [which have the 10mm ‘stub’ for your dropout] and pop them on in place of the bolt-on caps [which are blank on the end so your dropouts sit on the bolts, which you have also removed!].

You dont replace the axle (the Pro2-SS is a specific axle) just swap the endcaps.

Then ends of the axle are threaded, but are the same internal diameter as the normal QR hope axle, the only special thing about the QR axle is it has a narrow section in the middle to help guide your skewer through. At no point (in any hub) is a 5mm QR taking any load other than tension when doing it up. The axle (or end caps in this case) take the load

I know this works, I have had this exact setup on my bike over 6months.

simon1975

Try looking at Trials hubs if you don’t want a disc mount.

Eg: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11423&category_id=21

Failing that, there’s the old fall-back On-one one:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HUOO135F/on-one-double-fixed-hub-32h-black-135mm

jimsmith
    Free Member

Im selling one if youre intersted:

King single speed hub in black, 32 hole
    new, in box, never been built up so in perfect condition
    this is not the ISO one but it can be used with a disco-tec convertor to run IS standard 6 bolt discs
    195 posted

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Chris King single speed non disc hub – the only?’ is closed to new replies.