Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Chris King rear hub not really worth the money.
  • Del

right there with you. i buy stuff that works for reasonable money. sometimes i splash out ‘a bit’, but i buy at the point where i think i’m getting the bulk of the performance for a fraction of the price. i have the cash to buy the really swanky bits, but i’d be forever worried about them, and i just want to ride my bike and stick it back in the garage until next time, not obsess about it ( though i probably do my fair share! ).
    a bit like watches. you can spend a couple of grand on a watch that requires yearly servicing at 100 quid or whatever. fine, if you want a watch that looks nice, they can be considered a form of jewellery after all, if that’s what you want, go for it. my g-shock tells the time. it’s solar powered, it sets itself for time daily from the time signal, it does what it was bought to do perfectly. better than a lot of watches that are 10x the price.
    whatever floats your boat though eh?

mij
    Free Member

king headsets have a 10 year warranty. Buy one for £100 and it’s actually a better investment than buying cheap. Just a big outlay.

uplink
    Free Member

king headsets have a 10 year warranty. Buy one for £100 and it’s actually a better investment than buying cheap. Just a big outlay.

it may destroy your forks but hey, 10 years warranty

boybiskit
    Free Member

I bought my King rear hub 10 years ago. I bought it because, at the time, I was getting through an LX freehub every 6 months so figured in the long run the Ck would be cheaper.

I was right: it’s still going strong after stupid amount of abuse. It’s just outlasted its 3rd rim. Sevriced every couple of years, but only had bearing replacement once. It has also outlasted my Pro2, on which the bearings and freehub have both died.

Conclusion? If you possibly can buy King or similar. it’s cheaper in the long run and you get to ride some nice bling kit as a bonus.

mij
    Free Member

But if you can remove a crown race properly…

clubber
    Free Member

king headsets have a 10 year warranty. Buy one for £100 and it’s actually a better investment than buying cheap. Just a big outlay

Not really. If I buy a FSA Orbit II for £20 and it lasts 3-5 years with no problems (as they have…)

Conclusion? If you possibly can buy King or similar. it’s cheaper in the long run

Not true in general, sorry. Even two brand new Hope hubs with a couple of sets of bearings is cheaper. In reality, it’s unlikely you’d go through two of them anyway. Though you’re right they do look nice 🙂

But if you can remove a crown race properly…

He’s talking about the compromised design of CK headsets top section which relies on an o-ring to fit instead of a compression washer type arrangement (IIRC because the either won’t pay to licence it or because Cane Creek won’t licence it to King) and can cause wearing to the steerer tube.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

boybiskit – Member
    I bought it because, at the time, I was getting through an LX freehub every 6 months

Do you jetwash your bike after every ride?

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Chris King rear hub not really worth the money.’ is closed to new replies.