Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Chris King rear hub not really worth the money.
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not sure what all the fuss is about really but I got one (seriously discounted) the other day, made my new wheel with it etc, took it for its first ride.

Firstly, it a a lovely bit of engineering, really nice, and I like the noise it makes but I can’t see its really worth the RRP to be honest…Pick-up is pretty instant though.

I mean 300.00 notes…I can’t help thinking that people who rave about them do so because they just paid RRP so must think they got the best thing ever. Justification if you like.

I paid 212.50 for it (Stiff) but feel it is over-hyped and (a bit) over priced at that.

Hope it lasts a long time though….

druidh
    Free Member

What were you expecting it to do that it so disappointed you? Make tea?

psychle
    Free Member

bloody hell, how’d you get one for £212.50??? even with 15% off they’re currently £306… or did you get yours before the price hike?

loddrik
    Free Member

Yes but you are now among the people who are able to look down on people who don’t ride CK parts

psychle
    Free Member

you’ve gotta love the instant engagement though right? and the CK buzz is a nice unique noise that screams ‘I have expensive wheels’ 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

well that would have been nice if it made tea. (1 sugar please)

It did a great job but the hope XC I had also did a good job too and I can’t see the difference was that great between the two. Certainly not 200.00 better though.

druidh
    Free Member

Flog it while it’s still so new (you’ll make a profit) and buy a Hope?

ton

i just bought a new xt rear hub £40.
    one that died i have used for 5 years.
    i like to spend i like bling, but it does put things in perspective.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

but when its still going without a service after 7 years then you will be thinking, what a great hub..

nickc

That noise drives me mad

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can I have your old Hope XC hub please?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just hoping you all appreciate honesty of an opinion. Sure its lovely but I’d not be happy if I’d paid RRP for it. Still think I paid abour 30.00 too much for it in fact.

Time will tell though.

XT hub, 4 days in the Alps and needed a new axle.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can I have your old Hope XC hub please?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rude boy, email me, they are on ebay at the moment

coolhandluke11 AT googlemail DOT com

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Oh, Stiff aren’t flogging them for 212.50 any more.

Feeling kind of happy ( and a bit smug) now I must say. Blooming glad I bought it last week then.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Mavic mavic mavic mavic!!!!! That’s all I gotta say!

uplink
    Free Member

They’re ~£230 from Aspire Velotech
    Still way over priced but if you’ve money to burn ……

cynic-al
    Free Member

“XT hub, 4 days in the Alps and needed a new axle.”

Bad luck or poor maintenance. I’ve run shimano for 20 years without a ride ending issue.

Have seen Ck hubs die on rides though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I rarely even notice the noise when I’m riding, I’ve never paid full price for one (the UK RRP’s are an absolute rip off), they’re very well made and pretty easy to service.
    I can afford it so I’ll be sticking with CK thank you.

MrNutt
    Free Member

they do make a lovely noise, but I run Pro2’s, only because they are louder 😀

(I didn’t do the pro2 tag btw!)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Good on you Dibbs. Seems the mention of CK gets some peoples backs right up for some reason. (see the tags)

My opinion is that is is lovely, really nice but not worth the RRP, that’s it really.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love Hope stuff but the noise from Pro Hope 2’s does my head in. Worst than Hope Mini brake squeal.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

They do need regular servicing

twohats
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

but when its still going without a service after 7 years then you will be thinking, what a great hub..

Not likely if you’re talking about the Chris King!
    They need lots of constant TLC to keep them running sweet…

pk-ripper
    Free Member

hmm, mine have never needed TLC and are still working faultlessly. Personally I think that’s a myth spread by those who haven’t owned them – I have them F&R on 3 bikes – because I can.

mij
    Free Member

when was the last time you changed bearings in a King?

njee20
    Free Member

Mine came loose, I had bearings seize, it needed constant adjustment. The pick up is excellent, but they’re not light and no way in hell are they worth the money. Sooner have DT 240s or Tune King/Kong.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I’ve got a few, the 1 i most use is about 5 years old shit load of miles and washes done the ring drive service 3 times NEVER changed a bearing or part. had a headset the same time/useage not touched that.Any other brands you can say that of ? that alone makes it worth the money spent. Other brands that dont last no where near as long you got to pay or carry ouy wheel builds or pay labour of pressing headsets into frames

mij
    Free Member

At least you can adjust the bearing on a King. Most develop play and then it’s hammer and socket time. Dt stainless bearings aren’t cheap either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have them F&R on 3 bikes – because I can.

Wow. Do you have a rolex and sh1t?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have them F&R on 3 bikes – because I can.

Me too! three 24mm fronts, two ISO and a SS disc rears. 😛

njee20
    Free Member

Mij, I’ll give you that, when I had bearings seize you popped off the cover, cleaned it out, bit of grease, and you’re ready to go again, but still, I had to do that more often than I have to change bearings in my DT or Tune hubs, both of which weigh less too.

juan
    Free Member

They always be people that they think they deserved the most expensive the best.

Brits are very lucky to have hope. They make amazing brake and even more amazing hubs. They are priced just right if you ask me, but then you are on a forum where people buy new bits to get better skills.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I I was going to spend a lot of money on hubs, and believe me I’d like to, It certainly wouldn’t be King ones.

Cheaper (£159/£219)
    Possibly better
    Almost certainly higher quality
    Definately better looking
    And British

Royce

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto PP. As ever there’s a diminishing returns aspect to mtb components. I’m sure that it’d be easy to make better quality hubs than CK ones just use even tighter tolerances, more expensive anodising/coatings/etc but it’d be very debateable whether there would actually be any real world advantage. In fact, that’s actually my view between Hope and CK – King are beautifully made (though, again, not as nice as Royce) but I don’t believe that they actually have any real world advantage over Hope.

YMMV

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wish Royce would do a HT2 BB or a headset. I’d be at the front of the queue.

If I could afford them, I’d buy the hubs just besause they look soooooo beautiful. No fashionable colours, no trendy big name, no marketing jargon. Just pure class and superb eningeering. Mmmmmmm.

hora
    Free Member

I agree the CK hubs are Yowsers!. I’ve had mine over 5years- Ive really only ever run one bike and the wheel around it has been rebuilt twice. Recently I gave it its first service. Shocking, expensive terrible things.

Oh and I bought my front and rear built up for £400 posted. If I was looking to replace I’d buy the same again. Hope are probably great (I run a Hope 20mm up front) but if something works for you- why fix it?!

clubber
    Free Member

Good to see you on normal form Hora.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

King are great. Indestructable, servicable and look great. A load of tremendous colours to stand out as if teh noise wasn’t enough. They need care, but reward it with a lifetimes use.

If you don’t like them, that’s fine. I do. I also rate Hope, though. They do need care less often, but more than just a clean and lube. They need new parts and a big hammer.

stumpy01

I’ve got the same hubs that came with my bike as new (and it’s a 2001 model). They are WTB somethings and have never been apart.
    They still run fine with no graunchiness or any other nasty.
    I am not sure I would pay that much for a hub, as I don’t think I would see the benefits – £300 is the sort of money I spend on a new set of forks!

Same with headsets….I replaced the original that came with my bike last yr for a Cane Creek S-3 (or maybe S-8?). It was about £22 and is still going perfectly strong. I would rather pay an annual fee of £22 for a new headset, than however much CK charges for theirs.

I don’t have a problem with people spending that kinda money on components, but in my case I really can’t justify an expensive part like that over something that does the job perfectly well but it less erm, bling.
    £300 would get me a whole wheelset, nevermind one hub!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Chris King rear hub not really worth the money.’ is closed to new replies.