Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chris King Hub Tool – do I really need one?
  • MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

My rear Chris King hub has developed a bit of play – about 4mm side-to-side and has also started to drag a bit allowing the chain to sag when freewheeling.

I’m hoping that this will be sorted by servicing it (?) and have found a useful video on how to do it on u-tube. All looks straight forward but then the chap uses a T-handle tool to pull the internals out.

Is this T-handle

1) required

2) if yes to 1 – does it need to be a Chris King one or are there alternatives?

Cheers

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

bump

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know i you need it, but if I owned a King hub, I’d own the tool. It looks fantastic!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheDoctor
    Free Member

To service the bearings and clean the ring drive teeth you only need two five mm alen keys and some ring drive oil. Take the axle out with the alen keys and then pop the freehub off with your hands, clean and re lube.

however to completely remove the ring drive and bearings you really do need the king tool as it will remove and press back in all the internals.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Thanks TD,

I’ve got 5mm lateral play at the rim, will a basic service as you outline remove this?

and at what point do the internals need to be taken out?

Cheers

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

5mm play at the rim?

Dibbs
    Free Member

It may be that the bearings just need adjustment, it needs two 5mm allen keys or a 3/32nd allen key (I think) depending on the axle type.

All the video’s are on the Chris King website BTW

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Yes SA

– if you grab the rim and move it side to side it moves by about 5mm. There is no movement between the rim and the hub shell just between axle and hub – if you know what I mean.

Dibbs – hope you’re right – got lots of miles to do on very rough terrain in the next few days – so a quick tweak is, I hope, all that is required….

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chris King Hub Tool – do I really need one?’ is closed to new replies.