Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • chris king hub s/h
  • mattp
    Free Member

so – as above is it worth buying a ck rear hub second hand and saving 100-150 over a brand new one? i take it that there is no transferrable warranty and if it fails then it's for the bin…

last q – where would you get a wheeel built on a ck hub i.e. supply and build so the warranty is at the same shop/person

mattp
    Free Member

anyone???

Daffy

All of my CK hubs have been bought second hand, none of them have failed, I've had 10 sets over the years.

So yes, it is worth buying second hand.

I have no knowledge of Reading.

hora
    Free Member

Mattp, I bought my CK ISO wheelset in 2002-2003 and paid £390 posted (new). Recently I looked for a new one and they are £375 just for a rear hub. WTF.

Ebay America or on here – nowt wrong with a secondhand one. Check the freehub body is as unmarked as possible- it chews up pretty quickly anyway but it should point to less-use etc etc.

mattp
    Free Member

thank you chaps.

stoney
    Free Member

Aspire Velotech in the US. You can get the hubs new for approx £380 a set, subject to customs though!

I bought both of mine there.

I can`t speak of second hand ones but there should be no problem with them.

midlifecrashes

If you talk to Merlin on the phone, they are happy for you to send them your hubs for a wheelbuild. Most places probably are, it's just I've had their wheels before so gave them a ring.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No one has mentioned the service and reliability issues of CK rear hubs. Yes they are lovely but I could never get mine to stay tight. I was running it on a DH bike, but the cones were forever coming loose, like literally every five runs or so.

Also, you do need to service them pretty regularly and it's only possible to do it properly with the right tools, which cost over £100. I was servicing mine every 6 months because of what I was doing on it; perhaps for trail use they wouldn't need that much attention.
    The alloy cassette shell can get chewed up, especially if the owner has been running a road cassette where the sprockets are separate rather than on an allow carrier

They are lovely though.

ononeorange

I bought a set second hand and had them built up at Safari Bikes in Marlow. Seem fine.

scant
    Free Member

servicing via king direct in the US is pretty cheap.
    you should only use a cassette with an alloy carrier on any alu freehub body, not just king.

mattp
    Free Member

any of the weekday crew care to share their perspective.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They are the best hubs you can get. It's as simple as that. They are not fit and forget but if you care for them (lubing, tweaking, cosseting) they will last indefinitely.

Second hand or US is the way to go. UK new prices are just bonkers. Pick a reputable LBS for a build if you can just find hubs.

Get to it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘chris king hub s/h’ is closed to new replies.