Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chris King headsets and long travel forks…
  • onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

What's the consensus on using a CK headset and long travel forks?

I've acquired a second hand CK headset but have just found out I can't use it in the frame I originally had in mind as it needs a semi integrated one. So my other option is to use it on my pitch frame with a set of Lyriks. However I remember reading a load of stuff a while back about CK headsets scoring steerer tubes on longer travel forks. I haven't heard much recently though, so what's the story? Is it true or just a fuss about nothing?

TIA

RealMan
    Free Member

It does happen, yes.

I run my fork mostly at 110mm, but wind it up to 140mm when I go somewhere fun. I've been running a CK headset for a year, and there is the slightest of scores, all the way around the steerer. I'm not too worried, at the rate its going, the fork will be long dead before I have to worry about the steerer falling apart I reckon.

tron
    Free Member

No direct experience of scoring, but the run down is this:

CK doesn't want to pay to licence the patent on A-headsets – in particular, the compression ring. So he has his own system for tensioning the bearing. Which results in fretting, which scores the steerer.

Not a problem on a steel steerer, but it worries me on an alloy steerer – stress risers are a real issue in Alloy parts.

Personally, there's no way I'd use one – FSA headsets last ages, and cost far less.

And to me, the fact that CK uses an inferior method to work around a rival's patent makes his "superior engineering" type spiel completely incredible.

tang
    Free Member

fsa orbit xl2 here for years, never any probs in longer forked setups, £15….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run mine with a fox 36 at 160mm. There's a bit of a line but no more so than any other headset and fork combo regardless of the travel.

I had heard that it was down to a batch of Marzocchi forks that were at the very lower end of the tolerance on the steerer.

backhander
    Free Member

CK doesn't want to pay to licence the patent on A-headsets

That's disgusting considering the cost of their kit.
    I've had a few hopes and a FSA orbit XLII and both have been faultless.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Doesn't the protection on the a headset end soon? Guess we'll see if CK jumps ship then.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 I run a CK on lower race and Cane Creek S3 on the upper, frees up the CK upper for upside down use as a lower on another bike

hora
    Free Member

Fit the headset properly and back of the tension on the sidebolts of your your stem/reteqorque the top cap bolt and redo etc for the first few rides and occassionally afterwards.

There seems to be alot of slack/lazy riders here who don't even carry out routine maintenance.

Its common sense. I've ALWAYS run CK headsets and not pissy cheap FSA or multiple rings etc fitting hopes. Pay £80 for 10yrs service? Yes Please. I've never had to strip down my black CK and its almost 8yrs old and smooth.

How is it expensive? I'm sure I paid £60 8yrs for mine new and you can buy them new now for £75 if you look hard enough 😉

IMO – its because riders let either are too scared to to torque-up the set up or don't recheck every so often. Simples.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Run a CK on Pikes, run at 140mm all the time, 5 days a week, most weeks a year and don´t have any scoring. They´re only a couple of years old so not ancient or anything. Not had any problems and really rate the headsets. I use a FSA 1.5 on my STD and the bearings don´t last very well at all, I don´t think that the seals are all that.

The CK rear hub has been more problematic, especially the cheese cassette carrier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chris King headsets and long travel forks…’ is closed to new replies.