Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chris King fun bolts
  • Alpha1653

Afternoon all. Hopefully an easy question for someone to answer. I’ve got a second hand Chris King ISO 135mm rear hub for my mk 6 Heckler. It’s currently QR but as the Heckler can’t take a thru axle, I’m looking to replace the QR with some fun bolts. Question is, do I need to replace the complete axle or can I just extract the QR inserts? A couple of shop websites suggest you need the heavy duty axle but I’m not so sure.

Second question, has anyone done this and noticed a worthwhile increase in stiffness?

Thanks!

amedias
    Free Member

depends which axle you have, if you have the one piece one where the QR ends just thread in to each end then yes, remove them and replace with fun bolts.

If you have the older 2 piece axle then no, you need to replace the entire axle.

gimme 2 mins and ill attach eoms images of the different axles on the NDS so you can tell whihc you have.

Second question, has anyone done this and noticed a worthwhile increase in stiffness?

yes I’ve done it, it made ‘a’ difference…

amedias
    Free Member

this is the older 2 piece axle, see preload adjuster is recessed and has indents for pin spanner/special tool

amedias
    Free Member

although this is a through axle hub it shows the external adjuster collar (bulgy silver collar with a split in it and bolt facing the other way) that will be present if you have a newer one piece/HD axle

Alpha1653

Brilliant, thanks for that. I’ve definitely got the one piece axle. Looks like it’s a goer!!

I don’t really have too much of an issue with stiffness but incremental gains all add up. I went from a QR Fox float to bolt through Revelations and it was pretty noticeable. Hopefully it’ll be the same at the back.

titusrider
    Free Member

See my email response below, I asked the same thing but have the older (pictured green) hubs

Hello,
    Thanks for the email. Yes, there would be a noticeable difference if you were to make that switch to Fun Bolts. Below is a list of part #s you would need, and a distributor in the UK that can help you source these parts. I hope this helps.

PHB544 – Axle

PHB708 – Adjustment Clamp

PHB507-10 – Fun Bolts

Evolution Imports (Bromley Bike)
    27 Widmore Road
    Bromely Kent
    BR11RW England

http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/

Chris Kessler
    info@chrisking.com

On Mar 15, 2015, at 1:25 AM, Titusrider wrote:

Please use this space for your comments or questions:
    Hi

I’ve been running some ISO mtb hubs for over ten years now, I think they are 2002/2003 vintage. Apart from the occasional preload and service they have been faultless, so thanks 🙂

The front is now running qr15 but I’ve not touched the rear and it’s still running a QR. As mtb has moved on I’m starting to feel the limitations of my current bikes rear end stiffness. I’ve got a ibis Mojo sl with a standard qr dropout rear end. Pictured: http://flic.kr/p/rBPo9F

I’ve been suggested a switch to fun bolts as a way of gaining some rear end stiffness, what would I need ? And who could supply the parts in the uk?

Thanks, and hears to another ten years

amedias
    Free Member

if you do have the HD/one piece axle then just pop a couple of 5mm hex keys into the ends and undo, the inserts will come out and look like this

you then screw in the fun bolt instead

Alpha1653

Thanks guys. Just about to order them. Thanks for the advice!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

titusrider- if you are still shopping, I have brand spanking 135 HD axle in my spares box at home. Drop me a line if it’s of interest.

Alpha1653

Good news – the fun bolts have arrived and they fit! Final question: I can’t seem to find anything about how tight they need to be done up. Is there a specific torque setting? Or is it just a ‘yeah, that’ll do, that’s tight enough’ sort of judgement?! I don’t really want to start nipping them up super tight and risk damaging the axle threads or the bolts…not at King prices anyway.

Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chris King fun bolts’ is closed to new replies.