Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • chris king bottom bracket question
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

i bought a new (to me) frame recently and it came with a perfectly good Chris King BB installed.

however, i want to take it out and install it on another bike i have… no problems there.

when i took the drive side cup off there were no spacers installed… is that normal? (it’s a 73mm shell)

I’ve installed loads of Hope and Shimano BBs, and they’ve all needed a 2.5mm spacer on the DS during installation…..

should i use one whilst putting it on my other frame?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Don’t think you need spacers on a 73mm shell. I certainly had none on my 26er Trance X.

LeeW

Did the original owner remove it for a better chainline? If it was me reusing the BB, I’d use however many spacers owere needed on my new build

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robgclarkson
    Free Member

hmmm, good point ref the chain line… i could always ask him, i still have his number…

and cheers Dom, i’ll see what the chap i got it from says i think 😉

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Did the original owner remove it for a better chainline?

Probably this.

But, if you remove a spacer from the drive side to gain a better chainline, would you not have to put it in the non – drive side?

davehast23
    Free Member

Usually if you have a 73mm bb one spacer on the drive side is needed, depending on chain line and what set up it was running before ie 1×10 2×10 etc

JoeG
    Free Member
    scotroutes

The spacer on a 73mm BB is there to take the place of an E-type mech or similarly mounted chain device (that’s why it’s drive-side only). If either of those is fitted, you won’t need it.

njee20
    Free Member

Probably this.
    But, if you remove a spacer from the drive side to gain a better chainline, would you not have to put it in the non – drive side?

Correct, otherwise you’ll have 2.5mm of spare axle, unless as SR says there’s an e-type mech or chain guide.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘chris king bottom bracket question’ is closed to new replies.