• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chris King Bottom Bracket – Anyone broken one yet?
  • Anthony
    Free Member

Mine has lasted 3 months and Evolution aren't going to honour the warranty 🙁

They claim the combination of Lynskey frame and XTR crank isn't within tolerance. I have contacted Lynskey as I am pretty sure their frames are faced from the factory. The XTR one it replaced actually still runs fine after over a year, I only changed it because the King was supposed to be easier to service!

I certainly won't ever be buying another King product. Headset now been swapped for an Acros.

sheldona
    Free Member

Lynskey frame and XTR crank isn't within tolerance

what, why?

Anthony
    Free Member

They say it shows signs it hasn't been fitted/running correctly.

Other than screw the cups in, I can't quite see what they are suggesting I have done wrong! As I say, the old one has run perfectly for over a year.

Strangly the King felt fine. It was only when I came to regrease the bearings, I drew the cranks out and the inner race stayed on the axle!

High price = high qaulity and good warranty, turns out it's niether!

fivespot
    Free Member

How much for the old knackered King BB 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

It was only when I came to regrease the bearings, I drew the cranks out and the inner race stayed on the axle!

Was the top hat fitted? You can refit the bearings if you've got them all just pop them in regrease and refit the seals. I've stripped my hub bearings once to remove all the old grease and refitted with ease.

Anthony
    Free Member

Make me an offer, it still works. Non drive side still perfect!

Although it's still in the hands of Evolution atm!

juan
    Free Member

See that would have not happened with a superstar component 😉

duck and cover

couby
    Free Member

i've heard of a few people that have had problems with their king warranties 🙁

sheldona
    Free Member

What colour is it?

Anthony
    Free Member

Yep, it was the tension from the plastic top-hat that kept the inner race stuck to the axle.

All the loose bearings still in there, but it does mean when you take the cranks out you need to put a container underneath to catch any that might drop out.

sam-r
    Free Member

They claim the combination of Lynskey frame and XTR crank isn't within tolerance

that is a disgraceful bit of BS: something one may expect from superstar, but not after having spunked spent £xx on a premium brand. Try contacting CK direct?

Anthony
    Free Member

It's brown.

I have asked for them to put it in writing and return it to me.

Daffy

Send it back to CK in the States, Evolution don't have the same rep WRT warranty.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye Evolution are pretty crap on this stuff IME, I'd go to King direct, see what they have to say.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yep, it was the tension from the plastic top-hat that kept the inner race stuck to the axle

That would suggest to me that the bearings were worn or the carrier worn as you have to give it a fair wollop to remove the inner race. They may be coming from the angle that the facing was out wearing said parts??

I would have maid you an offer for it but Brown won't really go with any of my heard ;-(

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I'd contact CK directly and have a chat with them. Explain what's happened and I'm sure they'll sort you out, one way or the other. My mate dealt with them a few years ago and they were spot-on. Good luck…

LoCo
    Free Member

Have seen a couple of Lynskey built frames with tolerance 'issues' one with the back end not welded on straight, Seriously 😯 . So look at all items involved.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My NDS one is showing signs of wear and its as rubbish at retaining grease as any other HT2 style BB I've had. Fortunately I hold have the greasing tool as the first tool in our 'pool' tool kit and I'm greasing it up about every month, which seems to be preventing the wear from getting worse.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've dealt with CK direct for a couple of warranty issues and they've been excellent. Evolution have been keeping the price of CK stuff in the UK artificially high for years 👿

bobbyspangles

that is pretty rubbish service

Anthony
    Free Member

I've just heard back from Lynskey and the frame is indeed faced at the factory.

I'm not sure what else I could have done wrong, I'm sure they will think of something:-(

LoCo
    Free Member

CK direct, sure they'll be interested if it's a compatibility/production fault if Evolution are being sticky.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chris King Bottom Bracket – Anyone broken one yet?’ is closed to new replies.